• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meade etx 80 or Celestron c90 mak (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone uses or has used one of these for long distance birdwatching, and what is the correct way to set them up for terrestial viewing in that I mean do you use a 45 degree diagonal with these scopes or 90 degrees etc, and can you recommend eyepieces.
Thanks,
Darren.

Hi Darren, Never used either of these scopes, but I do have a Meade ETX 90 and it is quite similar to e Celestron C90 Mak. I use a 45 degree mirror diagonal and the image is reversed right left and is the best QC view compared to a 45° erect diagonal. I used a 32mm eyepice with this at 39x,25mm eyepiece at 50X and up to 14mm eyepiece at 89x under the right conditions,enough light, seeing etc. These Maks are not a low power instrument because of central obstruction in the daytime. Also not wide angle instruments.
ETX 80 is a refractor I think and use up to 40x would work in good light

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back