• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2012 List Going? (2 Viewers)

Monday, May 07

What an excellent day I have had! While the weather did not cooperate (very grey, and a bit chilly) the birds certainly did; many new arrivals in the neighbourhood... these nine, plus many of "the usual suspects" were in a bit of suburban greenbelt, not far from my house.

42. White-crowned Sparrow
43. Least Flycatcher
44. Gray Catbird
45. Black-throated Blue Warbler
46. Northern Waterthrush
47. American Redstart
48. Warbling Vireo
49. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
50. Magnolia Warbler

I should pick up several new year birds for my Missouri Year List this coming Saturday as I will be doing a North America Migration Count (NAMC) in my home county (Buchanan). This should push my total over the 200 mark!

I'm celebrating 2 years of birding today during which time I've seen 348 species from Canada, both coasts, Florida, New Zealand, Mallorca, Scotland, Denmark and Germany. My year list is at 175 with 63 lifers. I'm headed over to Cornwall next weekend from Germany, so I look forward to the birding there as I've never been before.

Two new birds for the year, including a state lifer (Willow Flycatcher), so I'm up to 198.

197. Willow Flycatcher
198. Veery

Dave

today at Marazion, Cornwall in the wind and rain:

178. Knot (eventually!)
179. Kentish Plover (only my second one in the UK)

I went out for awhile this morning as kind of a pre-cursor to this Saturday's NAMC I will be doing.

200. Blackpoll Warbler, Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Wednesday, May 09

Migration continues to heat up! Lots of new birds to be had, just up at the local university campus (which does have some very good green spaces, I'll admit...)
51. Barn Swallow
52. Spotted Sandpiper
53. Baltimore Oriole
54. Yellow Warbler
55. Blackpoll Warbler
56. Tennessee Warbler
57. Savannah Sparrow
58. Horned Lark

Lots of migrants at work this week but only one new year bird:
246. Yellow-throated Vireo.

In a neighbor's yard this morning an extraordinary sighting:
247. Say's Phoebe.
You really never know what you might see in this area during migration!

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

This morning I saw a new bird for the year, which was also a West Virginia state lifer. I'm now up to 199. I looked hard to find another bird to break the 200 mark, but the birds weren't cooperating today.

199. Bay-breasted Warbler

Dave

201. White-rumped Sandpiper, at Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri
202. Yellow-billed Cuckoo (x 6), at Bluff Woods Conservation Area, Halls, Missouri
203. Eastern Wood-Pewee, also at Bluff Woods.
204. Common Nighthawk, down the street from our residence, Saint Joseph, Missouri

Bit of a migrant fallout yesterday. Good numbewrs but not a lot of variety. Added:
248. Canada WArbler
249. Warbling Vireo

Jeff

Last edited:
I spent most of Saturday birding my area of Buchanan Count doing a North America Migration Count (NAMC) and was able to add some species to my 2012 Missouri List.

These found around the oxbow lakes area south of Saint Joseph, Missouri
205. American Redstart
206. Blue-headed Vireo
207. Nashville Warbler
208. Tennessee Warbler
209. Least Flycatcher
210. Warbling Vireo
211. Bell's Vireo
212. Palm Warbler
213. Black Tern
214. Caspian Tern

These were at the Pigeon Hill Conservation Area, Saint Joseph, Missouri
215. Chuck-will's-widow
216. Whip-poor-will

New for my 2012 Missouri Year List, May 15, 2012

Birds found at Pershing State Park, Laclede, Missouri
217. Magnolia Warbler
218. Philadelphia Vireo
219. Canada Warbler
220. Bay-breasted Warbler

Birds recorded today at Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, Missouri
221. Red Knot
222. White-faced Ibis
223. Short-billed Dowitcher
224. Cinnamon Teal
225. Marsh Wren

Wow, Larry, you've added a couple dozen species in just a few days! Must be good birding up your way at present. Lots of migrants passing through Houston this week but mainly the more common warblers. Only one new bird today:
250. Mourning Warbler

I notice that I got my first Mourning Warbler ever on this day last year!

Jeff

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back