• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2012 List Going? (3 Viewers)

Things have slowed down somewhat on my recent birding outings. I have not picked up any new year birds during the last few days. Perhaps things will pick up again and I can jot down some more species on my 2012 Missouri List.

I have not added to this list before but i have just added up my species total for this year (i don't want to add them all on one post however!) and it stands at 180

I will include my last 10 and all from our recent Norfolk trip:

171 - Garganey
172 - Bearded Tit
173 - Black Tern
174 - Temminck's Stint
175 - Cuckoo
176 - Lesser Whitethroat
177 - Citrine Wagtail
178 - Pallid Harrier
179 - Honey Buzzard
180 - Ring Ouzel

Three new birds today, including two Empidonax, so my Year List is up to 205.

203. Least Flycatcher
204. Acadian Flycatcher
205. Black-throated Blue Warbler

Dave

Slow going, but I've got a bit more freedom now that I've finished University!

Today on the Lizard, Cornwall:

180. Whitethroat

One new year bird this morning, and a state lifer as well. Very rare in this part of the country, mainly because there are few large grassy areas.

206. Henslow's Sparrow

Dave

This evening I went to a nearby Wildlife Management Area to look for night birds. I wasn't disappointed as I saw a whip-poor-will, my favorite bird. It was also a state lifer, my second of the day.

207. Eastern Whip-poor-will

Dave

While birding the Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge at Mound City, Missouri this afternoon I was able to add six new year birds to my Missouri List.

226. Ruddy Turnstone
227. Black-bellied Plover
228. Sanderling
229. Common Gallinule
230. American Bittern
231. Least Bittern

Monday, May 21

Thanks to good old Queen Vicky, I had a day off!

60. Bay-breasted Warbler
61. Great Crested Flycatcher
62. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
63. Willow Flycatcher
64. Eastern Kingbird

Thanks to a phone call I was able to add one more species to my year list. A Saint Joseph lady called me asking if I could ID a couple of ducks seen by her over on Lake Contrary. I went over to her home on the lake and found:

232. Black-bellied Whistling Duck (x 2), Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri

This morning I went to a wetland preserve administered by the Nature Conservancy. I found one new bird for the year, so I'm now up to 208.

208. Northern Waterthrush

Despite the fact the bird was a state lifer, the highlight was seeing a perfect bear track in the mud along one of the trails. Recently having come from Indiana, where there are no bears, it was a neat experience seeing the track. Now I'd like to actually see a bear.

Dave

181. Nightjar

Yesterday evening at what is probably the most southerly location for them in the UK in Cornwall. One of my favourite wildlife experiences each year!

California Visit

Two hours in horrifically windy weather around Cliff House in San Francisco turned up:
253. Common Raven
254. Western Gull
255. California Towhee
256. Anna's Hummingbird
257. Allen's Hummingbird
258. Surf Scoter
259. Brandt's Cormorant
260. Pelagic Cormorant
261. Black Oystercatcher
262. Western Scrub-jay
263. Black-headed Grosbeak

Two hours at Mitchell Canyon:
264. Cassin's Vireo
265. California Quail
266. Acorn Woodpecker
267. White-breadted Nuthatch
268. Lazuli Bunting
269. Chestnut-backed Chickadee
270. Black Phoebe
271. Black-eyed Junco
272. Oak Titmouse
273. Band-tailed Pigeon

90 minutes at Black Diamond Mines:
274. Western Bluebird
275. Violet-green Swallow
276. Bullock's Oriole

Quick drop in at Lake Merced:
277. Steller's Jay.

By this stage last year I was at 253. I've done much less birding this year, so I'm not doing too badly.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back