• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Placing your birds (1 Viewer)

zynamoon

Central NY here, can someone please tell me where the best place to find pictures to identify the birds that may come to your feeders??

Actually you can even do an image search on Google for birds of your area. Just type in New York bird pictures and then click on images at the top of the google page.

Hi & welcome to Bird Forum! In your introduction, you mentioned that you had been interested in birding before, so you may already have one, but a good field guide would help as well.

You can also use a site called Ebird to check out what is normally seen in your area in different seasons. It is free & you can actually access that information without creating an account.

I don't know of anything that works like an online field guide (you're honestly best buying a hardcopy field guide), but once you have some sort of idea of what you're seeing, allaboutbirds.org is a great site.

Hi I agree, get a good field guide! Your local book shop should stock a few that are either for the whole of North America, more local (Eastern USA/New England) or even focussed only on regular 'garden birds'. Otherwise all can be found on Amazon of course. Most will contain drawings and take a bit of practice, but there are plenty of photographic guides as well.
A good online repository is the Internet Bird Collection (IBC), but you need to know what you're looking for, because it contains almost all bird species on the planet (10,000+).

Good luck and hope the feeders attract some nice birds!

N

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back