• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds,dogs,feeders,country Parks (1 Viewer)

Heaven forbid! Interacting with people in a public park...perish the thought!!!

Whilst badly behaved dogs and out of control dogs can cause problems I'm sure...what we're dealing with here is someone who was taking photographs in a public amenity park...when a dog came up and disturbed his karma...either by distracting him...or disturbing the bird...

Now, I can think of many, many occasions...when I have been happily watching a bird when a Photographer has disturbed my karma by barging in front of me...or by disturbing the bird...

Is that a call to ban bird photographers...or even tar them all with the same brush...

Of course not...dog owners/photographers misbehaving...need the error of their ways pointing out in a polite fashion if they're doing something outrageous...and their enjoyment of the countryside appreciated as different from yours if they're not...

Tolerence eh...where did it go?

Any reasonable person should know that it is not polite or proper for their dog to just go up to someone and start snarling and yapping, the problem is the kind of person who's dog does do this is the kind of person who does not respond to polite requests.

I am quite sure that all the dog defenders who are responding here have perfectly well behaved dogs that are under control at all time, what I fail to see is why those self same people are trying to defend the people who fail or indeed resolutely refuse to keep their dogs under control.

There is a lot of difference between someone walking by with a well controlled dog and finding yourself faced with a snarling yapping dog that is not under control. I have never for instance found myself pounced upon by a small child in the same circumstance. Of course you seldom see small children being bought to some of these places .. one reason is that some people have a fear of their children being attacked by dogs and unfortunately this can be a very real and justified fear.

Last edited:
Sorry to jump into your thread Sniper as there are some well balanced points but they are mostly not from SW. The first point below is not true as anyone can read on the dog walkers thread and the second point is his opinion which he often conveys as fact. Of course some children are afraid of dogs as they are of birds, cows, wasps, strangers, cats, Scooby Doo (perhaps he has a point) and ghosts.

Rich
I am quite sure that all the dog defenders who are responding here have perfectly well behaved dogs that are under control at all time, what I fail to see is why those self same people are trying to defend the people who fail or indeed resolutely refuse to keep their dogs under control.

Of course you seldom see small children being bought to some of these places .. one reason is that some people have a fear of their children being attacked by dogs and unfortunately this can be a very real and justified fear.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back