• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chiffchaff overwintering? [U.K, Midlands] (1 Viewer)

Jumbo

Over the last few days I've had regular sightings of Chiffchaff in my garden.

Presumably these are from the scandanavian populations (abietinus?), are they likely to overwinter or continue south?

Any other members with similar sightings?

Attachments

• _DSC5852.JPG
    _DSC5852.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 184
I can't be exacting looking at this image, as to where the tertial to pp ratio lies..but that looks more like a Willow Warbler than a Chiff Chaff to me..when was it taken?

I can't be exacting looking at this image, as to where the tertial to pp ratio lies..but that looks more like a Willow Warbler than a Chiff Chaff to me..when was it taken?

The photo was taken two days ago (29.Nov) in Burton-on-Trent.

Here's a couple of different angles. The leg colour was deceptive in bright direct light they appeared pinkish, but in shade they looked nearly black.

Perhaps I should move this thread to the ID subform?

Many thanks for the responses.

Attachments

• _DSC5866.JPG
    _DSC5866.JPG
    399.3 KB · Views: 137
  • _DSC5869.JPG
    _DSC5869.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 109
I see Jane's looking too so I'll leave the id to her! But I ringed a Chiffchaff yesterday here in N Devon, and there have been at least 5 around the ringing site in recent days. I know the ringers in S Devon have lots down on the south coast too.

I ran away screaming Jon but can see the WW arguments

Hmm not like you to miss a challenge Jane!! I couldn't make out how many emarginated primaries I could see.....

Jumbo, if you read the Falmouth birding thread you'll see a post today giving really big numbers of Chiffs at 2 sewage plants near Falmouth.

Jumbo.. looking at the new image no.2....It's a Willow Warbler!..as it not only compares cosmetically..it also shows PP equalling tertials.....

cheers

Jumbo.. looking at the new image no.2....It's a Willow Warbler!..as it not only compares cosmetically..it also shows PP equalling tertials.....

I ran away screaming Jon but can see the WW arguments
I had made an assumption based on the time of year that it couldn't be a WW.
Seeing the whitish eye-ring clearly broken by the eye-stripe was enough to sell me on it being a Chiffchaff, but the details KenM points out would suggest WW.
Jane, my apologies for making you run away and scream!

Jumbo, if you read the Falmouth birding thread you'll see a post today giving really big numbers of Chiffs at 2 sewage plants near Falmouth.
I'll keep my eyes out for any more and attempt some better photos next time.

Many thanks for all the responses.

I saw a Chiffchaff about 3 weeks ego...But not since. Some stick around a little late. I also saw swallow and swift 3 weeks ego..think there gone now. May be the odd stray around which got lost..but most leave.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back