• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (74 Viewers)

Can't give personal obs re N.Duff....but..Holy island couple of weeks ago, where normally have seen birds in harbour and landward side.....nil doing. Big westerly was blowing though...and on N sea side small beach with waders +++,kestrel and female Hen Harrier!

Suppose the birds aren't stupid...been here longer than us!!
Local patch work tells me the same...one day nothing, next,,,plenty!!
They just get down out of weather..I think!!!
Paul

ahh Holy island my first introduction to birding as a 10 year old set my heart on visiting the farnes but rough weather stopped the crossing..... i was devastated did you manage to get across to the farnes?

ahh Holy island my first introduction to birding as a 10 year old set my heart on visiting the farnes but rough weather stopped the crossing..... i was devastated did you manage to get across to the farnes?

Little point this time of year Zing..went last may....total therapy for the stresses of life....not sure even if they run trips this time of year. Holy island was superb though,,,nothing mega apart maybe from hen harrier..always a special bird....especially these days!!!

Little point this time of year Zing..went last may....total therapy for the stresses of life....not sure even if they run trips this time of year. Holy island was superb though,,,nothing mega apart maybe from hen harrier..always a special bird....especially these days!!!

have you been to faxfleet? its further down the bank to blacktoft sands had the best ever views of marsh and hen harriers there two or three years ago, its worth the trip as you are on your own as everyone else is further up the river at blacktoft.

just checked blacktoft website marsh and ring tailed hen harriers spotted on the 4th feb.

some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

Last edited:
Had a nice afternoon at Fairburn yesterday with plenty of pale redpolls flitting about the alders near the kingfisher screen. Also a weasel was hunting/playing amongst the boulder pile near the screen. Managed to get to within a few feet and also managed a record shot with my phone camera. Top! Other highlights were a bar headed goose with the whitefronts at LinDyke, and yet another dip of the LEO.

bumped into a bloke who had seen 3 otters under the mellenium bridge in york at 8:30pm on tuesday night.

mark.

Redhouse redpolls

Lovely to meet Yorkshires 9th top lister today...and what a really nice guy he was.....don't think we mustered an Arctic....but had a good natter anyway...cheers Garry!!!

Here is one from today..lets start a quizz..lesser or mealy??

I know what I think....

Attachments

• redpoll64.jpg
    redpoll64.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 116
Quizz re redpolls

Here are next 2 from today..nothing rare .just looking for show of hands as to which they are...auditing responses, saddo that I am...just trying to work out what folks feel! Please, tell me what u think!

Attachments

• redpoll65.jpg
    redpoll65.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 94
  • redpoll66.jpg
    redpoll66.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 110
Lovely to meet Yorkshires 9th top lister today...and what a really nice guy he was.....don't think we mustered an Arctic....but had a good natter anyway...cheers Garry!!!

Here is one from today..lets start a quizz..lesser or mealy??

I know what I think....

With a wingbar that colour it can't be anything other than lesser ( or can it? )

Dave

Here are next 2 from today..nothing rare .just looking for show of hands as to which they are...auditing responses, saddo that I am...just trying to work out what folks feel! Please, tell me what u think!

Both look like Mealies.

Dave.

(ready to be shot down)

For me...
1 is Lesser (structure, wing bar, and buff tones are obvious factors)
2 is difficult to call on that photo alone, could be Mealy but not enough pro factors, and could equally be Lesser
3 (assuming not same bird as 2) is much more pro Lesser than Mealy

Better profile shots of 2 and 3 would help.

Wonderful day spent at Clumber, Rufford CP Sherwood Forest... couldn`t have asked for better weather....blue skies all day =)

Lovely to see the Hawfinches, Nuthatches, Marsh Tits and so many other birds in decent weather.

Ultra happy to spend the day hanging out with so many Nuthatches... gorgeous little birds.

Finally some shots I`m pleased with.

=)

Nice pics Clare, particularly the Nuthatch...a corker, glad you connected. Looks like a much better day than when I went! Did you not see any Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers at Rufford?

Ben, why do you think 3 is a lesser?
Cannot see distinct ear covert
Plenty of warm brown tones in the plumage
Streaking is not striking
Bill appears small
Wing length could be exaggerated by blurring

I'm not sure it is Lesser, I don't even think it is Lesser, I just cannot see enough good Mealy features over Lesser features from the image. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back