• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

Totah Sam

Howdy folks. I need help with an identification if you can. Any help would be very much appreciated. This is a hummingbird captured in Costa Rica:

Attachments

• mysteryhummingbird.jpg
    mysteryhummingbird.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 106
Hi TS, your bird is a Magnificent Hummer. Being in CR, the bird is of the ssp spectabilis which used to be - and may soon be again - a separate species, Admirable Hummer
PS - any other id queries you have, put them in the 'ID' section....people over there aren't so...er, odd

Lovely bird, great photo. Theres something on the taxonomy thread about this bird.

Magnificent (though sadly deleted ) retort by the way TS. You should post on the UK and Irish threads, takes us a couple of hundred posts to get to that point.

Yeah, shame it was deleted as I thought it was merited. Coulda just 'starred' the two not-so-naughty words really.....good comeback anyway TS ;)
(Just to make more sense to anyone now reading the thread, there was a bizarrely rude and haughty post to TS's original question to which he naturally took umbridge and retorted with a bit of style...)

Last edited:
Wow, that looks totally different from the Magnificent Hummingbirds I have here!

that's what I keep running across. I don't know if it's the angle or a trick of the light that is throwing me off but it had me stumped.

I apologize for my earlier rudeness. I could have handled it a bit better. I promise not to fly off the handle like that again. I am ashamed of myself. :(

Hi TS, your bird is a Magnificent Hummer. Being in CR, the bird is of the ssp spectabilis which used to be - and may soon be again - a separate species, Admirable Hummer
PS - any other id queries you have, put them in the 'ID' section....people over there aren't so...er, odd

Lovely bird, great photo. Theres something on the taxonomy thread about this bird.

Magnificent (though sadly deleted ) retort by the way TS. You should post on the UK and Irish threads, takes us a couple of hundred posts to get to that point.

Yeah, shame it was deleted as I thought it was merited. Coulda just 'starred' the two not-so-naughty words really.....good comeback anyway TS ;)
(Just to make more sense to anyone now reading the thread, there was a bizarrely rude and haughty post to TS's original question to which he naturally took umbridge and retorted with a bit of style...)

Thank you for being so gracious and forgiving about my outburst. Ya'll rock. :)

Oh, no, did I miss all the fun? ;-)

Sam, mine (the males) usually look black all over, but with the right light the iridescence is turquoise or green on the throat, purple on the crown, and emerald green everywhere else. I have some pics I can show later.

I'm not a hummer expert by any stretch, but I would not think this one is the same bird I see!

EDIT Here are a couple of photos. I'm not much of a photographer but you can see the overall coloration. I don't know about any Costa Rican subspecies; couldn't find anything in my guides.

Attachments

• MaleMagnificent.jpg
    MaleMagnificent.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 61
  • MaleMagnificentdrab.jpg
    MaleMagnificentdrab.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Oh, no, did I miss all the fun? ;-)

Sam, mine (the males) usually look black all over, but with the right light the iridescence is turquoise or green on the throat, purple on the crown, and emerald green everywhere else. I have some pics I can show later.

I'm not a hummer expert by any stretch, but I would not think this one is the same bird I see!

EDIT Here are a couple of photos. I'm not much of a photographer but you can see the overall coloration. I don't know about any Costa Rican subspecies; couldn't find anything in my guides.

Thank you! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back