• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anagrams stike again! (1 Viewer)

With your Tolkien reference on your signature, I wonder if 14 is the Orc-breasted lovebird...
No. :-O

(Wonder what that would be like though - have a little scimitar on its breast or summat?)

Otherwise, all awesomely correct....

No-one seems to have done 12 yet, so I'll offer Melodious Grassquit (mind you, I didn't know there was such a thing ... ;) ).

Correcto, Dave.

Apparently a poor choice on my part, because it is a synonym for Cuban Grassquit, T. canorus, which may be the current term. All I can offer by way of defence is that it was still Melodious when I visited Cuba. Mind you, continental ice sheets have come and gone since then...

Anyway, Trystan continues to run away with it:

Trystan 37
REVI 5
Davercox 5
Andrew Whitehouse 3
Reuven_M 2

As a substitute for #12, here's a bonus bird (a real species this time, honest).

18. Lemur Bob is a cold kid (5)

Now that davercox has done the tough part, should be a breeze |:p|.

Last batch:

19. Mob re-sold a rare Curlew (3)

20. I dab paint on ledge (2)

21. Hamlet cries: "Death! Rot!" [or] Redo Hamlet theatrics (5)
(Couldn't decide...)

22. Sadly, we evoke "QUIT" (4)

Don't suppose I get many points for 18 Melodious Blackbird, do I ?
Maybe 22 Key West Quail-Dove is better ?

Damn you Peter, why am I doing this instead of getting out birding ?

Last edited:
Don't suppose I get many points for 18 Melodious Blackbird, do I ?
Maybe 22 Key West Quail-Dove is better ?

Yes you do, it was fair game for all. Well done! you're up to 14 pts. now. (I was really hoping #22 would stump people longer - it's that damn Q I guess...)

Damn you Peter, why am I doing this instead of getting out birding ?

Really, there's birding in the UK in January? Must be nice. There sure isn't here - unless you call poking through 4,000 nearly-identical gulls looking for the odd one out 'birding', which I don't, grumble, grumble...

(Give me one - just one! - tanager to look at, and I'll go quietly.)

20 Band-tailed Pigeon (well, you said it was only worth 2). And there's not much birding here at the moment (7 a.m.), not even slow.

Oh, and 19 Clamorous Reed Warbler (hyphenate according to taste).

Last edited:
I make it that we need 14, 17 and 21 still?

I got warbler out of 19 and tailed out of 20 then couldn't do anything with them, not firing on all cylinders yesterday.

Yes - 'Roasted Howlers'. Here's a clue...
Ummm... that's a good one - if perhaps a rather disturbing image...

(Are they tasty, done that way?)

I make it that we need 14, 17 and 21 still?
That's correct.

It might be a bit of a clue for #14 that there is an American spelling rule involved; also, if you kind of "squint" with your ears, there are two musical references in the name.

(Come to think of it, that second clue is not at all useful, as it only works once you actually have the name.)

Peter C.

It might be a bit of a clue for #14 that there is an American spelling rule involved; also, if you kind of "squint" with your ears, there are two musical references in the name.

(Come to think of it, that second clue is not at all useful, as it only works once you actually have the name.)

Peter C.

versicolored barbet

versicolored barbet
Very good, StonedCurlew. That one seemed a particular poser.

For 21, I get Scale-throated Hermit. Dashed ingenious, old chap.

/*Puts on best Ian Carmichael*/

Why, thankee, my good man! Jolly decent of you.
Funny thing is, was looking one more, but thought I'd exhausted the whole theme - then, by jove, realized I hadn't done anything involving 'scale' or 'key'. Postively blinkered of me, eh what?

/*end Ian Carmichael*/

Actually, I was a bit sad that I didn't get to use a hint that I had all worked out for #21. If nobody had got it in the end of today, I was going to quote a work by a very (in)famous classical composer:

"____s are very handy, for fish
____s are very slippery, I wish
That I could get my hands on
A dozen fish
Or so
So-so-so"
Excerpt from "Twelve Quite Heavenly Songs" (Aire Proprio Zodicale), a set of lieder by P.D.Q. Bach
Fill in the blank, and you've got half of the answer... ;)

Last edited:
Trystan 37
Davercox 24
REVI 5
Stoned Curlew 4
Andrew Whitehouse 3
Reuven_M 2

In case you're just joining us, one solitary anagram left standing:

17. Deli yell: "Bring feta!"

Funny thing is, was looking one more, but thought I'd exhausted the whole theme - then, by jove, realized I hadn't done anything involving 'scale' or 'key'. Postively blinkered of me, eh what?

... ;)

I was actually anticipating DOUR BOVINE MEAT or similar, but it never came up.

No idea on 17, once I got flying rat everything kept coming back to it.

I was actually anticipating DOUR BOVINE MEAT or similar, but it never came up.
Gad, I brainstormed all kinds of musical instuments/terms (so I thought*). Then I asked S.W.M.B.O. if she could add any others; but never even considered the tambourine!

By the way, that's a neat bird, and (evidently) not one I had ever heard of before.

*(I considered, and rejected, "Wants Emu" as being just too darn easy).

Eye-ringed Flatbill. Only taken me 3 days. B :)
Very good, redeyedvireo!

...and that's that. Final scores:

Trystan 37
Davercox 24
REVI 10
Stoned Curlew 4
Andrew Whitehouse 3
Reuven_M 2

A bientôt!

Peter C.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back