• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

mooskibaby

This thread is aimed at people who have visited, or live in Derbyshire. With this thread you can talk about your local area in Derbyshire, talk about the latest sightings, and enjoy talking to people in your area.

I hope everyone enjoys it, and hopefully, we can give advice on helping wildlife in the area. This would be very good.

Hope to hear from some of you soon!o:D

The other day i went to Stange Heath, and saw Ring Ouzels, this was great seen as i had never seen one before. After leaving Stanage i went off to Padley Gorge (sorry if thats not Derbyshire but it's close enough), and saw redstarts. At Padley Gorge you can also see Pied Flycatchers, which i saw at the same spot, yet last year.
You should take a trip there sometime, it's great. Stanage Heath is moorland, so you get, stonechat, wheatears, and meddow pipits (a lot of), and of course Ring Ouzels.
While Padley Gorge, is moorland, woodland, and there is river/stream running through the woods which attracts Dippers.
It's well worth the trip. After searching in the woods at Padley Gorge take a trip to the cafe by the railway station, sit and have a cup of tea and relax and enjoy the scenery. You get grey wagtails at the cafe as well, they are nesting there at the moment i think. They take there lives into there own hands, they jump and fly around all over the railway track. They fly away a few metres before the train is near them. It's frightening to watch, but they seem to be used to it.

There's a potentially excellent little site in South Derbyshire known locally as Nadins Pond (regularly cited on DOS website).

Three pools, a Marshy area, a brook and reedbed area surrounded by what is, at present, rough grassland. Left alone or with a little help, this site could easily become an excellent reserve.

Species that I observe there regularly include Reed Warbler, Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer, Skylark, Lapwing, Tawny Owl, Little Grebe, Coot, Moorhen, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Tufted Duck and a few other assorted water-fowl.

You can also occasionally see Common Sandpiper and Redshank there.

This year we've also had Ring Necked Duck, Wood Sandpiper and another potential breeder that can't be mentioned.

A nightingale was also present in a nearby long disused and marvellously overgrown claypit at the end of April.

Ground breeding birds have been partially successful there this year with plenty of broods of skylark, several broods of Lapwing and of course the good old Coots ruling the roost and the other assorted regulars.

The unmentionable one, as far as I know, didn't manage to breed successfully this year although at least two adult and a female were consistently present earlier in the year and appeared to have chosen a favourite patch.

There is a bit of a problem with human interference and predation by (I assume) the foxes and rats that also share the site.

It's not a dramatic site and usually offers a fairly average variety of species but potentially it could be very good as another local wild-life haven.

The problem: Civic amenities including a golf course as planned for the not too distant future.

Yes; civic amenities are important and we do have many other excellent Derbyshire wildlife sites, it does seem rather a shame to "waste" it though.

This thread is aimed at people who have visited, or live in Derbyshire. With this thread you can talk about your local area in Derbyshire, talk about the latest sightings, and enjoy talking to people in your area.

I hope everyone enjoys it, and hopefully, we can give advice on helping wildlife in the area. This would be very good.

Hope to hear from some of you soon!o:D

Hi Anna

Pleased to see you've set up this thread. Best of luck with it. I'm sure it'll attract a lot of interest :t:

Although I live in Staffordshire I'm not far from the border and I do venture into Derbyshire quite frequently. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread and I'm sure I'll learn a lot. I certainly intend to take a trip to Padley Gorge sometime soon. It sounds great!

Mike

Last edited:
Anna,

Thanks for starting up this tread. I see it getting use in the winter months particularly with Gull information etc!

Padley is in Derbys the border runs across the top of the valley I believe! Earlier in the year we saw Pied Flys in reasonable numbers on the far side of the valley from the cafe, walk over the railway and turn R up the track past the cottages. One worrying thing is there seem to be an ever decreasing number of Wood Warblers in this area, I have only heard of one record here... does anyone know better? I know they are present in other areas but the numbers do to me seem to be falling year on year. I heard of several in the Matlock area in the spring but did they stay to breed I wonder. My old local locations for this species are now silent!

Will see if i see anything up at Carsington later, called in the other night but the water is very high, hope this has not flooded out any wader nests etc...

Over the years Derbyshire has lost some excellent wetland habitats when Quarrys were filled in in the south of the county (Etwall Quarry for instance), I hope Civic Amenities are not going to impinge on another....

We have some good gravel pits but access is always going to be difficult at these locations.

All the best

Hi Anna,

Well done for starting this thread. I live in Cheadle, Staffordshire Moorlands, 20 minutes from the border. I will keep a close eye on the thread and please have a look at the Staffordshire Moorlands thread. I go to both areas for walks and birding.

I will learn a lot from this thread and will post information in the future when I go birding on your patch.

Thanks

Dean

Thanks Dean. Do you know of any good bird sites where you are? It may possibly be best to email me these, if you've got any because this is not about Derbyshire.

Hi all,

Did Carsington very briefly Friday pm, only got to the WLCentre area but was pleased to see that the first summer pair of Black-headed Gulls still had two small young dispite their island shrinking rapidly in the rising water! The other pair of adult birds were sitting tight on the tern raft so I couldn't see what was going on. These birds may prove a mixed blessing as they could put off the Terns! However the Common tern on the new raft off the WLC got up a couple of times and I was able to see at least one youngsters head peeping over the edge!
Other than that the usual birds were present, with good numbers of Tree Sparrow calling around the box scheme and a few youngsters on the feeders. I am pleased to note Willow Tit has also been successful on site!

The water is extremely high and I am worried for any edge nesters like grebes, I fear they may have been flooded out.

Cheers

Hi all,

Did Carsington very briefly Friday pm, only got to the WLCentre area but was pleased to see that the first summer pair of Black-headed Gulls still had two small young dispite their island shrinking rapidly in the rising water! The other pair of adult birds were sitting tight on the tern raft so I couldn't see what was going on. These birds may prove a mixed blessing as they could put off the Terns! However the Common tern on the new raft off the WLC got up a couple of times and I was able to see at least one youngsters head peeping over the edge!
Other than that the usual birds were present, with good numbers of Tree Sparrow calling around the box scheme and a few youngsters on the feeders. I am pleased to note Willow Tit has also been successful on site!

The water is extremely high and I am worried for any edge nesters like grebes, I fear they may have been flooded out.

Cheers

It's very worrying, isn't it that a lot of edge nesting birds may not have a brood this year isn't it.
Did you see the willow tit?
Go along to sheepwash car park next time you go there are 2 hides by there near the car park and they are good for woodpeckers, nuthatches and jays. There is a family of mute swans there at the moment to.

Willow Tit At Sheepwash

Did you see the willow tit?

It's great to see a thread on Derbyshire. I only live a few miles from the border and visit quite often, also a member of Carsinton bird club. Here is a photo of the Willow Tit (Ithink) taken at one of the hides near the Sheepwash car park.

Last edited:
Great picture Jim of the willow tit. Did you take the picture at the hide?

Looks like the PS Hide Jim...that willow fencing is very familiar! Glad to see your a member of CBC! I didn't see the WT yesterday but know they have bred...we have an up and coming project with these birds at Carsington as an extension of the very successful Nestbox scheme! We have many areas that are suitable for WT on site and are working with STW to make sure they are successful along with everything else!

Usually do all the res' but had to sort out other things up there yesterday!

To all visiting Carsington can I ask you visit the CBC website and add your sightings? Its now really easy! Plus Our recorder Roger Carrington would be glad to receive sightings from the reservoir.

http://www.carsingtonbirdclub.co.uk/cbc/index.asp

The CBC works hard to produce a report each year and record the birds etc, we need all your support, why not come along to one of our meetings if you are not a member?

Ok plugs over!!!

Cheers

Great picture Jim of the willow tit. Did you take the picture at the hide?

Yes, not sure if it was the first or second hide. The Woody was also taken there. I must pay a visit there as soon as it stops raining. Anyone wanting a lift from the Stoke area to join the Carsinton bird club or a wander around the reservior send me a PM.
HAPPY BIRDING
Jim

Last edited:
There's a potentially excellent little site in South Derbyshire known locally as Nadins Pond (regularly cited on DOS website).

Three pools, a Marshy area, a brook and reedbed area surrounded by what is, at present, rough grassland. Left alone or with a little help, this site could easily become an excellent reserve.

Hi
My names Steve and i live in Warwickshire and i recently visited Nadins pond to photograph the Ring necked Duck .I totally agree with the statement above and think something should be done to protect this excellent site.
Its already had some superb birds , but on my visit noticed alot of disturbance
from Jo public, ie dog walkers and motor bikers. Not knocking these people but there are other places to do your thing, leave places like this to the birds.
What do you locals think ?:t:
Regards Steve.........

Yes, not sure if it was the first or second hide. The Woody was also taken there. I must pay a visit there as soon as it stops raining. Anyone wanting a lift from the Stoke area to join the Carsinton bird club or a wander around the reservior send me a PM.
HAPPY BIRDING
Jim

Jim, I'm sure it would be the Paul Stanley hide, the second one. Thats the place to see Willow Tit at Carsi... The feeders also attract good numbers of commoner birds like the Woodies etc. Also that wattle fencing is like that there.

On an asside I hear the Yellow-legged Gulls (mostly immatures in varying numbers) are still in the Swarkestone area, near the Fishermans carpark I believe. There has been a record of Caspian Gull here too in the last week or so.

Cheers

One worrying thing is there seem to be an ever decreasing number of Wood Warblers in this area, I have only heard of one record here... does anyone know better?

Went to Padley yesterday - my first visit, primarily to fill the big Pied Flycatcher shaped hole in my life list (sucessful!). We had at least 2 separate Wood Warblers calling from different areas of the wood.

A walk aolng the river also showed up Redstart (a cracking male singing from the top of a couple of trees), Whinchat, Stonechat, Dipper, Grey Wag.

Couldn't find any Red Grouse on Beeley Moor though (although the weather was dire!).

Anna, I live just over the border in North Notts & will also be keeping a close eye on this thread!

Cheers

Mike

Went to Padley yesterday - my first visit, primarily to fill the big Pied Flycatcher shaped hole in my life list (sucessful!). We had at least 2 separate Wood Warblers calling from different areas of the wood.

A walk aolng the river also showed up Redstart (a cracking male singing from the top of a couple of trees), Whinchat, Stonechat, Dipper, Grey Wag.

Couldn't find any Red Grouse on Beeley Moor though (although the weather was dire!).

Anna, I live just over the border in North Notts & will also be keeping a close eye on this thread!

Cheers

Mike

Excellent news, maybe I am just behind in my info this year then, although I didn't get one earlier in the year there so...maybe they were later in.

Congrats on Pied Fly, I often think they get harder the longer the summer goes on, after feeding the young they seem to head highter into the tree tops and get harder?

Cheers

Went down to Willington GP this pm hoping the water had gone down. The track up Meadow Lane is still flooded around the entrance, so drove up to the lane nearer to Willigton and walked the track from there. Once down to Meadow Lane (at the beginning of the reserve) though you need wellies to walk down further to the viewing platforms. Only bird of real note was a Hobby.

John

Looks like the PS Hide Jim...that willow fencing is very familiar! Glad to see your a member of CBC! I didn't see the WT yesterday but know they have bred...we have an up and coming project with these birds at Carsington as an extension of the very successful Nestbox scheme! We have many areas that are suitable for WT on site and are working with STW to make sure they are successful along with everything else!

Usually do all the res' but had to sort out other things up there yesterday!

To all visiting Carsington can I ask you visit the CBC website and add your sightings? Its now really easy! Plus Our recorder Roger Carrington would be glad to receive sightings from the reservoir.

http://www.carsingtonbirdclub.co.uk/cbc/index.asp

The CBC works hard to produce a report each year and record the birds etc, we need all your support, why not come along to one of our meetings if you are not a member?

Ok plugs over!!!

Cheers

Wheres the PS hide at Carsington?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back