• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (3 Viewers)

Had a quick trip up to Carsington for a stroll this evening and got good views of a Little Egret in the Brown ale Bay/Hopton End areas, It flew across the res to below Hall Wood and we lost it then.

Interesting to see the work we surveyed for a couple of years ago finally going on on the spit area. Be interesting to see the effects.

Oh yes and had a Harris Hawk soar over the house heading north at altitude yesterday afternoon.... threw me for a while, not used to seeing 'em so high, I've usually seen them perched on fences or hunting low over Chaparral and desert LOL

ATB

Steph'

Regarding the work that is being carried out. I'm not sure if you noticed but the old spit is now an island as they have cut right through near the base of the spit. We were discussing last night how it might all develop. The vegetation on the old spit was kept down by the sheep but now it's an island what will happen? I wonder if they will put a membrane and then shingle down to encourage some Waders to breed? Although the work is yet to be completed it looks like some of the scrape areas aren't visible from either hide.

I'm sure that Severn Trent have thought it all through but I just hope that all the work will not be in vain.

Regarding the work that is being carried out. I'm not sure if you noticed but the old spit is now an island as they have cut right through near the base of the spit. We were discussing last night how it might all develop. The vegetation on the old spit was kept down by the sheep but now it's an island what will happen? I wonder if they will put a membrane and then shingle down to encourage some Waders to breed? Although the work is yet to be completed it looks like some of the scrape areas aren't visible from either hide.

I'm sure that Severn Trent have thought it all through but I just hope that all the work will not be in vain.

The idea behind the spit being an island was one of the main points of the original plan. It was put forward as a measure to reduce land based predator problems amongst other things.... I wasn't sure at the time it was proposed, still a bit mixed on it. But a lot of thought must have gone into it as it was one of the projects Rose ran and she left a good while ago.The idea was to create more shallow areas of ponds/scrapes etc plus a longish "new spit" with the soil. Lots of rip-rap was to be involved. I think a problem was also erosion on the spit area too...... Incidentally on original plans of the reservoir the spit was marked as an island, I'm guessing that it may have been the original idea?

I think there were issues in getting the heavy plant over the ridge and furrow in the field behind PSHide so that delayed the thing too.... and they have still driven right through it anyway;)

the whole thing was discussed so long ago I've forgotten most of the detail:-O

As regards management of grass levels, I should think it will be managed as all the other islands such as Horseshoe etc.

AB

Steph'

Oh yes and had a Harris Hawk soar over the house heading north at altitude yesterday afternoon.... threw me for a while, not used to seeing 'em so high, I've usually seen them perched on fences or hunting low over Chaparral and desert LOL

ATB

Steph'

Thanks for the text Steph - I was at home but not quick to react to it and by the time I was upstairs scanning it was ten minutes old and so couldnt see anything.
I wonder if its the bird thats been lingering around Derby?
Of interest was another reported from a Goshawk territory recently that was given short shrift by a Female!

Went up to Carsington this afternoon, with Common Redstart in mind following yesterdays record. Walked into wildlife centre creek, but no luck there. On the way back about half way between the bend on the creek, and the wildlife centre, I noticed a "Redstart" drop down out of a bush. I had brief views before it went behind the bush, but my immediate thought was Black Redstart. About 15 minutes past before I was able to confirm that it was indeed a Black Red, eventually getting good views as it fed on the grass.
Hopefully the bird will stick a while.

I started walking the Dam Wall at Carsington yesterday with maybe Wheatear in mind. First decent bird of the day was a female Brambling near the slipway. Didn't get Wheatear but did get c25 Sand Martins, 6 Swallows and c20 Meadow Pipits. Then as I neared the main car park I heard my first Blackcap of the year.

I then got a text from Roger that the Black Redstart was again in Wildlife Centre Creek so I hot footed it there and got pretty good views. Roger thought he had heard Willow Warbler but it was too faint to be 100%. A quick walk onto Stones Island and the only thing of note was a Linnet over.

I started making my way to Sheepwash and had another look at the Black Red and then heard the Willow Warbler from earlier. Typical of this time of year things were very quiet in the hides with only 2 distant GN Divers and a few fly past Oycs and Redshank of note. Both Ravens were out and about which is quite worrying considering it was cold, wet and windy.

I spent the last couple of hours around Dam Wall/Stones Island to see if the weather had brought anything in but no such luck. The usual flock of Barnacles were around including (ADZ). Also 3 Pink-feet with Canadas. I had a count of 21 Chiffs between Millfields and Sheepwash, 2 Curlew flew over Stones late on, 3 Snipe on Horseshoe, Dunlin was heard but not seen.

Did you get any more on ADZ's origins after our conversation on Wyver Dave???

ATB

Steph'

Yes Steph, I did post the details a while ago but here they are.
Regarding the colour ringed Barnacle Goose at Carsington. It was ringed on 8/2/99 at Caerlaverock as a male first year bird hatched in summer 1998. It was last seen on the reserve on 27/1/10 and is seen on the Solway in most winters. It has not been reported from Svalbard

I had given up on garden Brambling but they are back this week on the feeders and Richard Taylor has had them in Swinney Wood opposite.
Also had a couple of records through for Wyver last night - 6 Wigeon, 30 Teal, 4 Shov, 4 Gads, 6 Tufties, 2 Mandarin, 4 Goosander, 1 Oyc, 1 Swallow, 2 Chiffs, but negative news on the Heronry.

I had given up on garden Brambling but they are back this week on the feeders and Richard Taylor has had them in Swinney Wood opposite.
Also had a couple of records through for Wyver last night - 6 Wigeon, 30 Teal, 4 Shov, 4 Gads, 6 Tufties, 2 Mandarin, 4 Goosander, 1 Oyc, 1 Swallow, 2 Chiffs, but negative news on the Heronry.

Yes nothing but bad news regarding the Heronry. It was looking good earlier in the month with 12 birds and 5 platforms seen but all has gone eerily quiet now.

Lesser Pecker in the garden!

Well, after all the running around looking for local Lesser Peckers this past few weeks, Mrs M has gripped me off by taking a picture of one in the garden in the old apple tree.

Bummer 3:)

Attachments

• SNV35075 (Medium).JPG
    SNV35075 (Medium).JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 88
Well, after all the running around looking for local Lesser Peckers this past few weeks, Mrs M has gripped me off by taking a picture of one in the garden in the old apple tree.

Bummer 3:)

You'll have the paps moving from your work Waxwings to your garden now with it showing that well Dan ;)

Rough-legged Buzzard was showing well from Windy Corner at 1pm today, in the air with a Red Kite and 3 Common Buzzards, including a pale bird that had us interested for a while until the real deal appeared. Also had at least 4 Ring Ouzels at Cutthroat Bridge.

Ospey at Carsington today, first seen at 08:30 and then put on a good performance at 10:25 until 10:45. Also present 4 Wheatear, good number of Sand Martins and a few Swallows.

Hi All

Headed up to Cutthroat bridge today firstly seeing Red Grouse, Curlew, Meadow Pipit and 2 Ring Ouzel.
Then on the way home called in at Dane Bower plenty of Wheatear and Meadow Pipit around.

Tim.

The Avenue Reserve, Tupton

Just a shout for this perhaps under-rated little spot between Tupton and North Wingfield in NE Derbyshire, close to where the folks still live.

Here's a link for a rather excellent November summary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II2TJ97Ssvc&feature=email

but other months are available.

There's some wetland but it's also a great spot for Willow Tit, Bullfinch and, in summer, warblers such as Grasshopper Warbler (there's a video in there somewhere).

And, if any of you live close-by, you can join the volunteer group, observe the ringing project, etc.

Enjoy...

Wyver Lane March Bird Notes

March highlights include Barnacle Goose, Pintail, Avocet, Wheatear and the
return of Summer migrants.

A relatively dry month which also had its fair share of misty days with the latter no
doubt contributing to the appearance of the star bird of the month.....The Avocet!

Totals this month include 5 Cormorants on 6th. At the beginning of the month there
was a total of 12 Grey Herons around the Heronry including at least 5 platforms.
As the month went on it was apparent that they had been disturbed and there were
only 1 or 2 birds being seen with no activity around the woods. This is a little
disappointing after the success of last year.

A pair of Mute Swans have been present all month, 97 Greylag Geese on 10th, 62
Canada Geese on 17th, a single Barnacle Goose from 19th. 4 female Mandarin on
2nd and then 2 pairs seen on several dates until the end of the month. Wigeon
peaked at 38 on 6th and just 2 remained on 29th. 2 pair of Gadwall all month, 53
Teal on 29th, female Pintail on 29th, 5 Shoveler on 10th, 3 Pochard on 6th, 10 Tufted
Duck on 17th, 13 Goosander on 6th, 20 Coot on 1st and 7 Moorhen on 1st and 6th.

A site record count of 9 Buzzards were seen on 21st, a pair of Kestrel have been seen
successfully hunting from the mound. Single Sparrowhawk sightings throughout the
month.

The first Oystercatcher of the year returned on 10th with 2 birds on 17th but no sign of
either bird at the end of the month. Around lunchtime on the 15th and in very misty
conditions around 100 Black-headed Gulls flew in. As they approached the main pool
the unmistakable call of an Avocet was heard. Among the Gulls were not 1 but 5 Avocets.
After a minute or two the Avocets and Gulls landed on the pool and almost immediately
started feeding. News was quickly put out and up to 20 birders managed to see them.
They were present until dusk but there was no sign the following morning. This is the
first record of this cracking Wader for Wyver Lane and is also one of the largest flocks ever
recorded in the county. Lapwing numbers peaked at 60 on 1st and by the end of the month
only a few pairs remained with several birds seen displaying. A Dunlin made a brief
appearance on 17th. 4 Snipe on 28th, 3 Curlew over on 15th and a Redshank also on
15th.

c500 Black-headed Gulls on 1st, also 9 Common Gulls on 1st. 14 Stock Doves on 10th,
2 Green Woodpeckers on 17th, 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers on 22nd, a Skylark over
on 8th and 17th. The first Sand Martins to arrive were 6 on 15th, also 6 on 29th, the
first Swallows were 4 on 26th. A Meadow Pipit over on 15th and 2 over on 22nd, The
first Grey Wagtail of the year appeared on 1st and a pair seen towards the end of the
month. 2 Pied Wagtails on 28th. A male Wheatear dropped down in front of the mound
on 25th, c75 Fieldfare on 15th, 30 Redwing on 15th, the first Chiff Chaff of the year was
heard on 15th with at least 3 singing by the months end, a Willow Tit has been coming
to the feeding station in the latter part of the month, 5 Jay on 24th and 29th, 18 Magpies
on 6th, c300 Jackdaw on 15th, a Raven on 8th and 24th, c100 Starling on 15th, a
Greenfinch on 29th, a Siskin on 17th and up to 5 Reed Buntings seen almost daily.

Pied Flycatcher returns

Pied Flycatcher in the garden this morning. Considerably earlier than last year
Heres hoping for a female and another succesful breeding

Had a little surprise yesterday, took my daughter to school, in horsley village, and thought I heard a willow warbler, and this morning after I had just come out of school, I heard it properly which was nice, In the surrounding area upto holbrook via booths wood and upto horsley, I have never had a Willow Warbler in this area. Also had my first swallow over the school this afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back