• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (6 Viewers)

Spotted Flycatcher at Carsington this morning on Wildlife Centre creek. Hardly surprising considering there was 1'000+ at Portland yesterday.

Spent quite a lot of time down Wyver yesterday mainly recording what was doing what in the breeding stakes. I wont bore you with all the details. The bird of the day however was a Red Kite that flew over the pool heading south at 16.25hrs.
Plenty of other Raptors seen including 4 Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, Peregrine, Kestrel and a fly through Hobby.

A single Shelduck was on the main pool early morning only. Also 7 Gadwall and 3 Mallard broods of 3/4 & 7.

The Oycs' young is quite big now, as is the 3 young BHG chicks on the raft. There at least 3 broods of Moorhen of 2/4 & 4. The pair of Coots still have 3 young on the top pool and remains the only brood of Coot so far.

A good selection of Warblers too....5 Whitethroats, 4 Blackcaps, 4 Chiffchaffs and 4 Sedge Warblers. Also 7 Reed Buntings. Many of these appear to be feeding young.

Definitely feeding young are Great Tits and Blue Tits. Great Tits in the box between the hide and the gate and both Great and Blue Tits in the large tree at the far corner of the old tip field.

The DWT came down yesterday and replaced the faulty lock on the hide so access to the hide is ok now.

Got a shout from Dave earlier for a Red Kite over Wyver. There was one along Crich Lane last Thursday evening and another in Alderwasley the day after.
This must be a lingering bird? We seem to get one every Spring now around the same time.
Anyway, this morning I got to the top of the Valley to scan south after it had left Daves view. It can be great but potentially frustrating from here if its flipped over the wood. This one had wandered south a little and I picked it up eventually but rather distant. It was with 4 Buzzards over a field that was being worked by two large tractors. I didnt see it land but it did interact with the Buzzards a few times.

Not seen Red Kite just down the other side of the hill yet this year Dan! The very pale Buzzard that hangs around here though was getting grief from a Crow yesterday pm over the garden for over 5 minutes, the Crow was actually hitting the Buzzard repeatedly!
The moth below is a The Herald Scoliopteryx libatrix I caught on my window at dusk yesterday it was very dopy due to the cold(!), it spent the night with us and I released it early this am. Its a common moth but a fantastic looker I think. Wonder where it came from as the food plant is Poplar and Willow and there is none in the immediate vicinity. Caught them before so they must breed somewhere nearby!

Todays temperatures have resulted in loads of sunbathing birds... this Blackbird was so into his sun worshiping it let me take this picture from about 4 feet away!!

ATB

Steph'

Attachments

• DSCN5041_2.jpg
    DSCN5041_2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN5047_2.jpg
    DSCN5047_2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Got a shout from Dave earlier for a Red Kite over Wyver. There was one along Crich Lane last Thursday evening and another in Alderwasley the day after.
This must be a lingering bird? We seem to get one every Spring now around the same time.
Anyway, this morning I got to the top of the Valley to scan south after it had left Daves view. It can be great but potentially frustrating from here if its flipped over the wood. This one had wandered south a little and I picked it up eventually but rather distant. It was with 4 Buzzards over a field that was being worked by two large tractors. I didnt see it land but it did interact with the Buzzards a few times.

Like you say, Dan, it must be a bird lingering. Can't believe for a second that all these sightings are different birds. Anyway, glad you saw it. Was nice that a couple of people on Wyver Lane also saw it.

Red Kite again down Wyver this morning. We first had it flying just west of the reserve and towards Belper at 09.05hrs. Then an hour later it was right above the main pool attracting some attention from the Oycs, Lapwings and BH Gulls. It then soared higher and higher and drifted south where Dan managed to pick it up from near Crich Lane. It certainly looks like the same bird lingering following sightings nearby on Thursday, Friday and Wyver yesterday and today.

Not a great deal else of note today. 18 Swifts around this morning, and 21 Starlings flew over was about it.

Anyone know any more about the Lesser Kestrel that has had a full submission from Burnaston over the past few weeks? Looks good apparently.

Also a full description of WTE over Mansfield on 30th April has gone in too. Must have been close to us........

On a similar note, news of a claimed Hoopoe by a pair of farmers on a farm just off the B5020 between Radbourne & Mackworth 2-3 weeks ago reaches me. Have asked them to submit....as with all these records could be spot on or spot off, but the time of year is pretty bang on.

First brood of 4 BH Gull chicks fledged at Hilton GP now, though the Terns may actually be sharing the rafts for nesting with the Gulls now....until fledglings appear and spice things up I guess....

Matt

Wyver Lane Bird Notes May 2013

Highlights include Red Kite, Hobby, Common Terns, and Reed
Warbler.

Counts this month include 3 Cormorants on several dates, 2
Grey Herons on 4th, a Pink-footed Goose on 10th, 93 Greylag
Geese including 61 young on 10th, 69 Canada Geese including
16 young on 22nd, 2 Shelduck on 2nd, 3 Mandarins on 4th, 8
Gadwall on 6th and 25th, 4 Teal on 2nd, only 4 Mallard broods
noted which is down on a 'normal' year, 9 Tufted Ducks on 18th.

3 Sparrowhawks on 21st, 3 Buzzards on many dates, Kestrel also
on many dates, Hobby on several dates, 2 Peregrines on 21st.

4 Pheasants on 10th and 25th, 8 Moorhens on 2nd and a brood of
6 appeared on 25th, a brood of 4 Coots on the top pool on 21st.
The Oystercatchers have bred again and produced 1 young on 21st,
5 Lapwings on 2nd, a Snipe on 10th.

The Black-headed Gulls on the raft revealed 3 young on 25th, 2
Common Terns on 16th, 3 Stock Doves on 6th, 14th and 25th, a
Tawny Owl on 12th, 10 Swifts on 10th and 14th, 2 Green
Woodpeckers on 10th, 14th and 21st, 30 Swallows on 10th, 50
House Martins on 10th and 18th, a Sand Martin on 10th, 16
Wrens on 10th, 11 Robins on 10th, a Redstart on 2nd, 6th and
21st, 7 Blackbirds on 22nd, 2 Mistle Thrushes on 25th, 3 Sedge
Warblers on 10th and 14th, a Reed Warbler on 30th, a Lesser
Whitethroat on 10th, 4 Common Whitethroats on 4th, a Garden
Warbler on 2nd and 4th, 8 Blackcaps on 2nd, 6 Chiffchaffs on 2nd
and 10th, a Willow Warbler on 1st, 2nd and 6th, 12 Blue Tits on
10th, 2 Treecreepers on 16th, 2 Jays on 6th, 12 Magpies on 10th,
2 Linnets on 14th and 6 Reed Buntings on 10th and 14th.

Yes, a great find. Clive has gone up in my estimations. Admittedly not from a great height to begin with. ;)
It's hardly surprising but It's a new bird for the site.

Marsh Warbler still 5pm and a Osprey on the post outside Lane Ends eating a fish it caught this pm too!

Well done Clive!!!

Steph'

Thanks all, it was good so many got up to see it. The mimicry was superb, at first I thought it was just a Goldfinch! Then it went into a scratchy Sedge Warbler like song. I knew what I thought straight away, but many thanks to Steve and Tim for confirming. Mimicry included Goldfinch, Blackbird, House Sparrow, Blue Tit, Swallow and according to RMRJ Rosefinch ( but I wouldn't know!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back