• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

Its true then, Wood Warblers do seem scarce, especially in the more southern sites.... I was talking on the subject with several birders and a few theories have been put forward, mostly involving the obvious retraction of the breeding grounds in Derbys towards the north. The most popular I've heard the most is a temperature thing, of course it could be a change in food type/supply linked perhaps to the temperature? Or a combination of factors, as most of the woods don't seem to have changed to us...

Long gone are the days of hearing several at Cromford/Black Rocks etc.....

ATB

Steph'

Have heard Wood Warblers (2) singing in Calke park of all places this year

For Chris and other Erewash bods, Dave Sneap has had a female Marsh Harrier at Erewash Meadows this morning with prey.
Coincience as I was talking with Des last night whilst looking for other Harriers, and he was reliving the first Marsh Harrier ever down there some years ago................

Thanks for the info Dan. Oh to be able to get away from this computer :C

I make that the third there this spring, I've not seen any of them :-C but to be honest I've not been down there much this month. Any spare time I've had recently has mainly been spent at Bennerley.

Slightly off topic, but DARG helped me count 117 Great Crested Newts at Bennerley on Sunday.

Thanks for the info Dan. Oh to be able to get away from this computer :C

I make that the third there this spring, I've not seen any of them :-C but to be honest I've not been down there much this month. Any spare time I've had recently has mainly been spent at Bennerley.

Slightly off topic, but DARG helped me count 117 Great Crested Newts at Bennerley on Sunday.

Good numbers! they were always good news when developers came knocking..........

I seen it around 16.00 but the weather improved shortly after and most of the Hirundines disappeared. I did hear someone say they had seen it shortly before 18.00 though.

Seen again at 18.15

Last edited:
Jim Steele and I heard a turtle dove at Erewash Meadows last night, north end of the reserve near the "post watchpoint". It unfortunately wasn't visible among the foliage.

Sorry for the delay in reporting, I wanted to take advice to ensure there was no issue with the record going public.

Chris

Jim Steele and I heard a turtle dove at Erewash Meadows last night, north end of the reserve near the "post watchpoint". It unfortunately wasn't visible among the foliage.

Sorry for the delay in reporting, I wanted to take advice to ensure there was no issue with the record going public.

Chris

Hi Chris

Des has been but nowt Im afraid...........it will be a twitchable County (if not Country!) bird soon along with Ruddy Duck and Corn Bunting.

Chris

I did ask if there were many of these around but did not want to reveal the location of the ones i have seen and heard in case they are in breeding territory,perhaps i got no replies as there are not many around but these were at the same location last summer.

Had trip down to Willington yesterday. I'd not seen Garganey since 2003 so It was nice to finally nail that one. The adult Little Gull showed well at times from the 3rd platform. Lots of Reed Warblers, also Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Chiff, Willow, Garden Warblers, Blackcaps and Finches all filling the lane with songs and calls.

At least 7 Common Terns nesting again after a Fox had put pay to the eggs that were previously laid. 4 unseasonal Wigeon on the main pit, also 10+ Gadwall, drake Teal and numerous Tufties and Mallard. BH Gulls were noisily going about their business and some have well grown young. At least 4 Buzzards up together, also a Sparrowhawk with prey, Kestrel and a Hobby. Also had 2 Hobbies together just before I left.

At least 2 Cuckoos calling and one seen briefly. A walk to the canal pit to see the Black-tailed Godwits, 10 of the original 13 still remain. Also on there were 2 Ringed Plover, 2 Redshank and a Shelduck. Sand Martins have taken up residency in a bank formed by the construction company and hopefully they will leave this one alone.

Other things of note were 2 Curlew, 2 broods of Great Crested Grebe (1 & 3), only my 3rd Kingfisher of the year, numerous Reed Buntings, Mute Swans with 4 young, Green Wood and Great Spot Wood. 67 species in total and 3 new birds for the year. Off to the coast this morning so hopefully a few more for the year will be had.

Great Crested Grebe with 3 young in the first photo with two just about visible. Adult Little Gull in the second photo and Bh Gull with 2 young in the 3rd.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread

Back