• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poll:which binocular do you prefer? (1 Viewer)

Which Binocular Do You Prefer?

• Leica Ultravid Series

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • Leica BA/BN & Older models

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • Nikon HG/HGL Series

• Nikon SE Series

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Swarovski EL Series

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Zeiss FL Series

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • Zeiss Victory & Older models

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Swarovski SLC & Older models

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Don't know

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

[email protected]

Supporter
This is a poll to garner some statistical results on which binoculars you prefer. We need at least fifty respondents. Simply vote for your favorite and if you like write a short reason why you prefer your choice. For example you can go into optics, build quality, ergonomics, companies reputation, status, warranty and any other characteristic that makes you prefer one over the other.

Dennis

Last edited:
I would probably go with the Zeiss if I had to choose between the two. The crispness of the image is typically what sells me on the Zeiss optics.

I would not prefer either, but forced to choose I would take the Swaro on the merit of it's design and excellent warranty/customer service.

Zeiss, based on image quality and price (got mine for $1175). The EL design is too bulky. It was really appealling when it first came out, but in field use...blech. The only advantage I can see in the separate barrel design is it makes it easier to carry them by hand, but I never would do that anyhow.

I will give it up to Swaro on customer service though.

We have decided to do this properly with a genuine poll that includes most of the premium bino ranges.
I would expect the poll to favour binos that have been on the market for a number of years but it will be interesting to see what is perceived as the best

Sorry if you feel any models have been left out (Brunton Epoch fans ;)

cheers,
Andy

Andy, this is a good idea - judging by the number of "Which *.*.*.*.*.* is best?" threads that appear on the forum there would appear to be a genuine demand for user tests / surveys.

Personally I favour Leica BN's - have used them for years & they have never given me a moments problem or any cause for complaint.

No Contest

For me, it has to be the EL, maybe not quite as sharp in the centre of the field as Ultravids or FLs, but a better picture over the whole field. And of course, their service support, which is second to none (I recently received a brand new pair in exchange for a pair of castanets!).

Chris

Leicas by a long shot, very happy with my BNs and wouldn't change them. A rather destructive dog got hold of my BNs some time back and had a whole afternoon of quality chewing time - normally plenty of time to totally destroy the chosen object - but, bar the strap, very minor tooth marks on the body were the only scars to result!

If I lost them, I'm sure the Ultravids would do nicely too.

Swarovski EL's

I prefer the Swarovski EL's because of the ergonomics for one thing. They are unique in their twin tube design making them easier to hold (even with one hand). I think the build quality is second to none and I think the focus/diopter knob works better than the Zeiss FL. I feel Swarovski also has the best warranty and after purchase support.
Optically they have the biggest "sweet spot" so their sharp across a larger area of the field. They also have better depth of field than the Zeiss FL which is important to me when viewing two birds at once at different distances(say on different branches). I would say the Zeiss FL is brighter and slightly sharper in it's sweet spot but overall I prefer the view through the Swarovski EL.

Dennis

Zeiss FL's. Considerably brighter than the others (IMO) and more robust (yes I do mean robust).

However the old Zeiss 7x42 BGA Classics are just that, Classics. Dennis; the unique design of the EL's!! as a member of staff from Swarovski once said to me, a modern day version of the Zeiss 7x42 BGA (look more closely at the design and I can see what she / he meant)

Good to see that the survey is titled, "which binocular do you prefer", because what binocular is best is down to the individual (subjective).

Dennis, from all of your posts I gather you like the Swarovski EL's !!!

CDK said:
Zeiss FL's. Considerably brighter than the others (IMO) and more robust (yes I do mean robust).

However the old Zeiss 7x42 BGA Classics are just that, Classics. Dennis; the unique design of the EL's!! as a member of staff from Swarovski once said to me, a modern day version of the Zeiss 7x42 BGA (look more closely at the design and I can see what she / he meant)

Good to see that the survey is titled, "which binocular do you prefer", because what binocular is best is down to the individual (subjective).

Dennis, from all of your posts I gather you like the Swarovski EL's !!!

Yea, that's what I have now but I want to get a pair Of Zeiss FL 8x42 or 10x42's because I really like the brightness of the new Zeiss FL's. They would be good in the evening hours or in a tree shaded forest. I sometimes look for Owls right at dusk when they start moving. I have trouble with blackouts with the Leica for some reason and I am not sure why. I just don't like the view through them as well.

Dennis

I don't have any high end Bins, but I would like to see the results of the ongoing poll without taking part.
Any way of doing this?.

Currently, only people taking part in the poll can see the ongoing results.

Add a don't know to the poll?.

Last edited:
I'll imagine

alan_rymer said:
I don't have any high end Bins, but I would like to see the results of the ongoing poll without taking part.
Any way of doing this?.

OK,I'll admit that I'm like you Alan, no 'high end bins'. But because of that long, long 2004 thread concerning them, I'll probably pick a Zeiss FL if I'd ever spend a lot for a binocular.

Last edited:
alan_rymer said:
Any way of doing this?.

The software doesn't allow for non voters to see the results... which is handy in some votes, as it can influence voting.
Unfortunately once it's underway, we can't add any more fields such as 'don't know' to allow those to just view it.

For an update
Leica Ultravid 16
Leica BN/BA 9
Nikon HG/HGL 7
Nikon SE 6
Swarovski EL 11
Zeiss FL 13
Zeiss Victory/ older models 3
Swarovski SLC/older models 3

This is a poll to garner some statistical results on which binoculars you prefer. We need at least fifty respondents. Simply vote for your favorite and if you like write a short reason why you prefer your choice. For example you can go into optics, build quality, ergonomics, companies reputation, status, warranty and any other characteristic that makes you prefer one over the other.

Dennis
Of all models I have used, the following were oustanding with the best listed first:

Nikon 10x42 SE & 8x32 SE

Swarovski 8.5x44 EL

Leica 10x42 BA

Nikon 10x42 LX HG (older model)

Leica 10x50 BN

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back