• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (7 Viewers)

Sorry to sound so doubtful, but what makes you think that you saw a Temnick's Stint ? I'm not doubting you, but I would like to see photos.

Because;
A I did
B I know what they look like
C I've seen them before
D I don't do photography (very well) or have a long lens
E I was with other birders who confirmed it's identity

With any luck the bird might be there tomorrow, get yourself down and see it for yourself :t:
Don't forget your camera or no-one will believe you ;)

Last edited:
Believe it or not, not every birdwatcher carries one of those pesky cameras with them! Quite obviously you ARE doubting him otherwise you wouldnt have asked! Not only did I see the Temmincks Stint, but I also seen the Egret at Dormans this morning. And I didnt take a picture of either!
By the way, it was good to finally meet you Neil.

Sorry to sound so doubtful, but what makes you think that you saw a Temnick's Stint ? I'm not doubting you, but I would like to see photos.
Hi why are you questioning the Temminck's Stint sighting its peak time now to see them on passage and they can turn up anywhere they are often seen inland.Also we get Temminck's Stints nearly every spring in Co Durham.

Last edited:
Houghton Gate and Dormans

Can anyone give me directions to these two places? Just in case the birds are there tomorrow. Tried at Saltholme but couldn't find the Egret - just seen the news on the Stint.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris (the very enthusiastic amateur :) )

Can anyone give me directions to these two places? Just in case the birds are there tomorrow. Tried at Saltholme but couldn't find the Egret - just seen the news on the Stint.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris (the very enthusiastic amateur :) )

I have put the links to the maps of the locations at the bottom. You can zoom in and zoom out on the right hand side this might help you with directions. I am sorry the directions are not that good.
Houghton Gate: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=755&ax=430062&ay=551207&lm=0
Saltholme Pools RSPB:http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=755&ax=450525&ay=523226&lm=0
For to get into Dorman's Pool you need to be a Teesmouth Bird Club member I beleive. If this egret is anything like the spoonbill it might move around a bit. Therfore might it might be at Saltholme.

I would zoom in on the Saltholme one, I hope I have been of some help, hope you see the Great White Egret and the Temminck's Stints, If it' still there I shall most likely go down and try to get the Temminck's stint.:t:

Last edited:
Great White Egret at RSPB Saltholme

For anyone thinking of coming down the Great White Egret was present on Back Saltholme at 08:05 this morning and is on the Wet Grassland as of 09:00, viewable from Paddy's Pool Hide. It is quite distant but can show well if not in one of our ditches :) Reserve open from 10:00 - 17:00

Nice One

Because;
A I did
B I know what they look like
C I've seen them before
D I don't do photography (very well) or have a long lens
E I was with other birders who confirmed it's identity

With any luck the bird might be there tomorrow, get yourself down and see it for yourself :t:
Don't forget your camera or no-one will believe you ;)

Great find Neil.......

After a day of bird racing we were struggling to find many more birds, especially waders...fancy having one turn up like that!!!!

A life tick as never seen a Temnicks before

Cheers

PS if you find any more birds could you send me a proof picture before i go and have a look for myself

Thanks

Last edited:
Many thanks

Cheers Andrew - at least I know where these places are now!
Unfortunately have to work today :( so will not be able to get out and see the birds. Will have to wait till the next time.

Hope you saw them
Chris

Great White Egret still present at 11.55 on Back Saltholme. Still very distant from wherever viewed. Last seen gradually making it's way closer to Paddy's Pool hide.

Whether he saw it or not at least he can spell it. ;)

It is a bit below the belt taking the mick out of a spelling mistake, especially when I am only 14.

Would you be so quick to point out something so trivial as a spelling mistake if I had learning difficulties ? I think not.

I apologise to Neil for 'doubting' him; I would have liked to see a photo of a Teminick's Stint. If you can't see a photo of a bird at your local patch, what can you ask for ?

It is a bit below the belt taking the mick out of a spelling mistake, especially when I am only 14.

Would you be so quick to point out something so trivial as a spelling mistake if I had learning difficulties ? I think not.

I apologise to Neil for 'doubting' him; I would have liked to see a photo of a Teminick's Stint. If you can't see a photo of a bird at your local patch, what can you ask for ?

Sorry I dont think one should discriminate on the basis of age, would you have challenged the sighting had the observer had learning difficulties? Possibly not but then like me you wouldn't have known that assuming you aren't clairvoyant either. You should perhaps concentrate on developing a sense of humour though, oh and you might want to try TEMMINCK'S, third time lucky eh ;)

On a serious note, there is no problem asking for photographs but there is a way of doing it that doesn't cast doubt over someone's sighting on a public forum. You may feel slighted about me highlighting your spelling mistake imagine how another birder feels when you cast doubt over his identification skills on a bird you havent seen.

Last edited:
Sorry I dont think one should discriminate on the basis of age

Neither do I. Why did you point out a spelling mistake ? Are you such a pedantic person that you need to point out every mistake ? If we're being so picky, I think you should have an apostrophe on the third word of your sentence.

would you have challenged the sighting had the observer had learning difficulties?

Obviously not. You might do, but I don't think learning difficulties are a joking matter. Ask anyone, and they will tell you the same.

You may feel slighted about me highlighting your spelling mistake imagine how another birder feels when you cast doubt over his identification skills on a bird you havent seen.

I never doubted his identification skills; I asked for a photo if he had one. Big difference. 8-P

'A bird I haven't seen ?' Isn't that a bit of a cheap shot ? Many people my age or older haven't seen a Temminck's Stint (Is that alright ?). Your blog tries to help people see rare birds around the North East so you must be having a go at them. What is the point in trying to help people if you are just going to criticise the birds they haven't seen ? Disappointing. 8-P

Why did you point out a spelling mistake ? Are you such a pedantic person that you need to point out every mistake ?

I pointed it out because I think it is important to spell species names correctly and I think like many readers was slightly amused by the irony of your doubt and your misspelling. Pedantic, yes you'll understand when your over forty, it's a middle age thing.

learning difficulties

You introduced this, the relevance is lost on me. You might have these, you might not, I'd still correct your misspelling (or should that be mispelling I'm never sure).

I never doubted his identification skills
Sorry to sound so doubtful, but what makes you think that you saw a Temnick's Stint

What else were you sounding doubtful about?

Any more, why not PM me as this will be getting boring for everyone else. Cheer up at least you only got the spelling wrong, I've shouted Temminck's before and it's turned out to be dodgy.

Temminck's Stint still present when I left at 4:00. I know its a terrible shot but I have attached a picture that I took through my scope using my Mobile Phone.

Well done to NeilF for finding the bird! Thanks Neil, that's another one for the life and year list :t:

Andrew K

Attachments

• Temminck's Stint.jpg
    Temminck's Stint.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 201
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back