• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Close focus of various 7x binoculars (1 Viewer)

coopershawk

I've been using an opticron bga classic 7x36 for a little while and have fallen in love with the 7x magnification. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm thinking about dropping serious money on a high-end pair :eek!:

The binoculars I'm considering are:
Nikon EDG
Zeiss Victory T FL
Meopta Meostar
Swarovski SLC
Leica Ultravid HD+/HD/BR
Leica Trinovid BN
(I've tried the Zen-Ray and disliked the handling)

The problem is that they all (except the zeiss) have a close focus listed around 10 feet or more. I really enjoy looking at the occasional close butterfly or lizard, almost as much as watching the distant birds, so close focus is really important to me.

I know that binocular manufacturers tend to overestimate the close focus in their binoculars. If anyone owns any of these bins in the 7x42 configuration, could you measure the close focus distance?

Also if anyone has any other thoughts about these binoculars, feel free to chime in.

Michael

If anyone owns any of these bins in the 7x42 configuration, could you measure the close focus distance?

Here's a set of close-focus measurements I posted sometime last year; hope this helps.

Zeiss Victory TFL 7x42 = 1.6m
Nikon EDG II 7x42 = 2.0m
Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42 = 3.0m
Swarovski SLC 7x42 = 4.0m
Zeiss Dialyt 7x42BGAT = 4.5m

Cheers,

John

Here's a set of close-focus measurements I posted sometime last year; hope this helps.

Zeiss Victory TFL 7x42 = 1.6m
Nikon EDG II 7x42 = 2.0m
Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42 = 3.0m
Swarovski SLC 7x42 = 4.0m
Zeiss Dialyt 7x42BGAT = 4.5m

Cheers,

John

Wow that is pretty much exactly what I wanted. Thank you so much John!

I'm assuming the other leica models are probably the same. Just waiting on a meostar measurement now. Other thoughts on these binoculars always still welcome.

Michael

Other thoughts on these binoculars always still welcome.

Michael

I have the following 7x40s:

Swarovski Habicht 7x42
Ultravid HD 7x42
Nikon EDG 7x42
Zeiss Victory FL 7x42
Docter 7x40 B/GA

Of these, the Victory FL is in my eyes without any doubt the best: brightest brilliantly sharp image, wider FOV than the others (150m!).
However, I don't use my binos for close range viewing so cannot comment on that.

Just my 0.02 $

I have the following 7x40s:

Swarovski Habicht 7x42
Ultravid HD 7x42
Nikon EDG 7x42
Zeiss Victory FL 7x42
Docter 7x40 B/GA

Of these, the Victory FL is in my eyes without any doubt the best: brightest brilliantly sharp image, wider FOV than the others (150m!).
However, I don't use my binos for close range viewing so cannot comment on that.

Just my 0.02 $

Canip,

I have read here and there about a small sweet spot with the victory. Do you agree with that sentiment? What would you estimate the sweet spot to be in terms of percent of the whole field?

This information is really helpful since most individual sellers on eBay probably won't offer a return policy.

Michael

Last edited:
I have read here and there about a small sweet spot with the victory. Do you agree with that sentiment? What would you estimate the sweet spot to be in terms of percent of the whole field?...
Michael

Michael,

IME, my Victory FL 7X42's sweet spot is about 65-70% of the FOV, with a distinct drop off point that continues to de-focus to the edge of the view. I can get the edge of the field somewhat sharp, but lose too much detail in the sweet spot.

Overall, the large FOV of 150m doesn't feel quite as big as the specs suggest, but the image is bright edge to edge and has a very relaxing and immersive presentation.

Hope this helps,

Ted

Attachments

• 07-IMG_3993.JPG
    07-IMG_3993.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Michael,
I think Ted is about right regarding the size of the sweet spot.
The EDG beats all the others in terms of sweet spot size, but it is for me clearly less bright than the FL. Overall, the FL gives me the most pleasing view.

Ted and Canip,

One more question. I've read about problems with the diopter adjustment changing inadvertently in the victory t fl series, have either of you experienced this?

Apologies for the interrogation |;|

Michael

Ted and Canip,

One more question. I've read about problems with the diopter adjustment changing inadvertently in the victory t fl series, have either of you experienced this?

Apologies for the interrogation |;|

Michael

Michael,

As I use my FL 7X42 from CF to Infinity and back (just 7\8 of a turn...Fast), my diopter setting remains the same. When I store them in the OEM cordura nylon case, I open up the IPD to get a snug fit. When I take on another excursion, I reset my IPD back to 60 and always recheck my diopter setting through left\right tube FOV comparative sharpness. Then if any difference, will pull up the focus wheel and check the setting (for me, need no corrections, both eyes equal). At no time have I run across a diopter shift through previous usage. Simply, it has stayed locked in since I've taken ownership (going on a year now)! :t:

FWIW, my pair will close focus to just 1.5m, a little better than it's rated specs. Ergonomically for me, these FL's are superb and their overall optics a joy in use!

Ted

Last edited:
My EDG 7x42s focus to 2m (maybe 2.1m to be really accurate). They're wonderful binoculars with a great view and super-smooth focus. I haven't compared them to the Zeiss, but I have used them alongside other Leicas and Swarovskis and I prefer the EDG every time.

Here's the ones I have in order to go with the picture below:

Meopta B1 7X50- ~9ft
Swarovski 7X42B- ~11ft
Zeiss FL 7X42- ~5ft
Leica Trinvid BN 7X42- ~9ft

Distances measured this am.

Also...I'd like to basically echo everything Ted mentioned concerning the FL. ZERO issues with the FL diopter setting staying put.

Attachments

• DSC01060.jpg
    DSC01060.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Thank you all! The victory is very high on my list, though I've also read very good things about the EDG. Hopefully I'll have a chance to try them sometime. The leicas seem a little too restrictive, though if a good deal came up I'd certainly consider them.

Chuck, your collection of binoculars never ceases to amaze me. I always appreciate the size comparisons.

Hi,

while not exactly high end... what about the Papilio 2 in 6.5x21 for butterflies and crawly things and whatever you like best of the big ones for birds?

You won't get anywhere close to the Papilio with regular bins when it comes to close quarters...

Joachim

Hi,

while not exactly high end... what about the Papilio 2 in 6.5x21 for butterflies and crawly things and whatever you like best of the big ones for birds?

You won't get anywhere close to the Papilio with regular bins when it comes to close quarters...

Joachim

Joachim,

Good suggestion, but I usually also sling a camera over my shoulder while I bird, so carrying another set of bins on top of that would be too much for me. I have considered a Papilio for museums, aquariums and such. Maybe some day.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back