• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell 7x26 vs Terra 8x25 (1 Viewer)

mtar925

I've had the Bushnells for a few years now, after comparing them to several low- and mid-priced compact roof binoculars and finding the 7x26 porro bin to be the clear winner optically. But for a compact, they are bulky. I don't carry them often, especially since I got an 8x32 that is only a few ounces heavier and - with the more streamlined roof design - about the same bulk.

The Terra 8x25 were not available when I made my choice, but judging by reviews are better than anything I compared the Bushnells to a few years ago. The weight advantage of the Zeiss is only a couple of ounces but the roof design is handier to carry, making the Terras attractive. And I find that I see field marks more easily in my 8x32 than in the 7x26, under all conditions. (My 8x32s are Cabela's Guide Series roofs - very decent Japan-made optics, but not alphas. About 19oz with caps and strap.)

Thoughts on replacing the Bushnell 7x26 with the Terra 8x25, as a compact travel/hiking binocular for birding?

I've had the Bushnells for a few years now, after comparing them to several low- and mid-priced compact roof binoculars and finding the 7x26 porro bin to be the clear winner optically. But for a compact, they are bulky. I don't carry them often, especially since I got an 8x32 that is only a few ounces heavier and - with the more streamlined roof design - about the same bulk.

The Terra 8x25 were not available when I made my choice, but judging by reviews are better than anything I compared the Bushnells to a few years ago. The weight advantage of the Zeiss is only a couple of ounces but the roof design is handier to carry, making the Terras attractive. And I find that I see field marks more easily in my 8x32 than in the 7x26, under all conditions. (My 8x32s are Cabela's Guide Series roofs - very decent Japan-made optics, but not alphas. About 19oz with caps and strap.)

Thoughts on replacing the Bushnell 7x26 with the Terra 8x25, as a compact travel/hiking binocular for birding?

Hi Matt:

Just as there is no definitive dividing line between green and yellow on the spectrum, there is no dividing line between what some deem as an “alpha” binocular and the few hundred that fall slightly beneath in perceived quality.

What I would like to see is the EXACT definition of an “alpha” binocular. If 20 people wrote an independent definition, there would probably be 20 of them. It’s just an exercise in futility. In reality, there is a huge chasm of optical and mechanical performance between the walls of alpha-ism and it’s virtually all related to individual subjectivity.

Too many people on bino forums seem to make a life quantifying the unquantifiable and stressing differences that are either below their threshold of recognition or in some way inconsequential. :cat:

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back