• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

barrengrounds vs Capertee Valley (1 Viewer)

HvE

Dear all,

currently I'm planning our trip to Australia. It's a family holiday with as much bird watching as I can fit in.

planning:
melbourn - 12 apostles
brisbane - great barrier reef - Lamington NP
Cairns - cassowary lodge - daintree - mount lewis
sydney - barrengrounds or Capertee valley

please feel free to advise on any part of the trip.

at this moment I'm still doubting what to do around sydney. Capertee valley and barrengrounds both sound very interesting. however I think I need to choose one of the two. Any advise on which one to choose.

Thanks a lot.
Hans van Essen
The Netherlands

How much time will you have to spend there? You can do Barren Grounds in half a day, whereas Capertee covers a large area and requires several days to do justice. Unless you particularly want to see the small number of Barren Grounds specialities, I would say Capertee is a much more productive area if you have the time.

Hi Hans.

if you have the time, the Capertee is the place to go as there are a large number of species to see there plus there is a large area to cover which will take a few days.

For Cairns I would go Kingfisher park and mount Lewis.

Rob

Thank you all for the comments.
Due to time limitations I will have to stick to the RNP & barrengrounds.

Thanks
Hans

The Royal National Park is quite beautiful. The Carrington drive (actually not a drive - but a walking, trail running, cycling fire trail) is good for lyrebird and sometimes origma. Your family will absolutely love Wattamolla and if you walk the coast track - south from here (no shade - take a hat) you can usually see sea eagles and there are often button quail around the car park. Alternatively you could walk the Curra Moors track down to the ocean - the bushland is good for New England Honeyeaters and sometimes fire tails. There is quite pretty rainforest at the southern end of lady Carrington Drive.

I'd pick the Capertee Valley over Barren Grounds in a heartbeat. While BG is good on a given day, I have spent only two mornings out there and one of those was pretty poor with species sightings (spring, which is the best time in my neck of the woods). However, in the CV I have done also two outings (both very long day trips) and have come back with really good sightings and some good photos.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back