• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Close focus (1 Viewer)

Jerry S

United Kingdom
Apart from the papilio binoculars are there any other brands that are good for close focus on insects ,
Thanks Jerry

The meopro 6.5x32 can focus down to 3 feet. My opticron bga classic 7x36 is advertised as 6.6 feet, but can focus quite comfortably down to 4 feet. I don't believe anything will beat the papilio though

Thankyou ! Focusing down to 3-4ft is ok but is there an 8x bino out there ? The papilio is great but image qulity isnt really the best ☹️

Not binoculars but the Minox Macroscope will focus to 35cm (1.15ft). I actually thing of it more as a long working-distance loupe than a monocular.

Jerry, not sure if you are looking for a "dual purpose" close-up and birding binocular. If you are looking to achieve an equivalent of 6" viewing distance (eg. 8x binocular at 4 feet) then I'd suggest even a top model will likely be compromised in some way and probably not provide a view preferable to that provided by the Papilio II.

a) A birding binocular will probably have larger and wider spaced objectives than Papilio. To increase overlap between left and right fields you may need to reduce the IPD a fair bit hopefully without crushing your nose on bulky eyepieces/cups |:D|
b) there may be still less than perfect "overlap" hence the effective "centre field" will be made up from areas away from centre each side; there could potentially be greater distortion and colour aberration issues there overlaid one on another.
c) a dual purpose binocular will probably need a very rapid focus (not many variable speed focusing binoculars around eg. Brunton Epoch or Pentax Papilio?)

If you didn't want to have to carry two binoculars, fazalmajid's suggestion of a monocular is interesting. That particular model may be short on eye relief for a spectacle wearer?

I expect you've already researched the top European brands for close focus figures. Here are another few model ranges with 8x models with close focus :
Vortex Viper ED
Eagle Optics Ranger ED
Meopta Meopro HD

Jerry,

I can focus down to 41" with my Viking MD 6.5x32 although it is easier to use it as a monocular at such close quarters. I think it is a commendable binocular.

Jerry, not sure if you are looking for a "dual purpose" close-up and birding binocular. If you are looking to achieve an equivalent of 6" viewing distance (eg. 8x binocular at 4 feet) then I'd suggest even a top model will likely be compromised in some way and probably not provide a view preferable to that provided by the Papilio II.

a) A birding binocular will probably have larger and wider spaced objectives than Papilio. To increase overlap between left and right fields you may need to reduce the IPD a fair bit hopefully without crushing your nose on bulky eyepieces/cups |:D|
b) there may be still less than perfect "overlap" hence the effective "centre field" will be made up from areas away from centre each side; there could potentially be greater distortion and colour aberration issues there overlaid one on another.
c) a dual purpose binocular will probably need a very rapid focus (not many variable speed focusing binoculars around eg. Brunton Epoch or Pentax Papilio?)

If you didn't want to have to carry two binoculars, fazalmajid's suggestion of a monocular is interesting. That particular model may be short on eye relief for a spectacle wearer?

I expect you've already researched the top European brands for close focus figures. Here are another few model ranges with 8x models with close focus :
Vortex Viper ED
Eagle Optics Ranger ED
Meopta Meopro HD
Thank you for this, much appreciated.

I tried the viking visron pro 8x32 , the spec says focus down to 1 metre. I tried them today and the close focus is 1.8 mt. what a swizz! Doesnt do what it says on the tin. I wonder if the Viking guys wish to comment about this statement?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back