• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sweat-resistant Binocular Strap? (1 Viewer)

Ben88

The Swarovski strap that came with my binoculars has worn out, and it's time for me to purchase a new one. I found it (link) to be very comfortable, but it absorbs sweat and can get pretty smelly after a week in the humid tropics (not good when you're looking for mammals). Does anyone have a recommendation of a comfortable, sweat-resistant binocular strap?

Thanks,
Ben

Ben
All the straps I have seen are made of neoprene and I think your Swaro strap is too so they probably all retain some perspiration. I would be inclined to attach a neck-pad to the strap of your choice and change this pad every few days. Or you could head north to Canada instead of the tropics;)

Lee

I've seen a lot of neck and shoulder straps over the years, but I've never seen one that could be called "sweat resistant". They all tend to be made from fabric, neoprene, or leather.

It is for the sweating issue that I have stopped using neck straps for our 32mm and above binos. We live in the extremely warm state of TX, and close to the coastal areas where the humidity can easily be to tropical levels. We have been using Rick Young Outdoors harnesses, and have been extremely happy with their performance. They are much lighter in weight than a neoprene neckstrap, take up much less space in the case than a neoprene neckstrap, are more versatile than a neoprene neckstrap, and IMO more comfortable in all conditions as compared to a neckstrap such as the one to which you linked. The surface area they occlude is less than the neckstrap you linked to, so they don't block the escape of body heat like the neoprene strap. Give them a try. What have you got to lose? Well, other than $20 (if you shop around). They have a website........

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back