• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Own up. Do you have a zoom bin? (1 Viewer)

I got the duovids 8+12x, and get on with them really well. They are usually set at 8x, then moving up to 12x in open habitat, or if I need a closer look at something. Surprising how much more I see at 12x. e.g. Earlier this week, on my BB survey, there were 2 or 3 chaffinches feeding around a distant pile of straw at 8x... counted 9 of them at 12x!
Often you don't realise what you are missing

agree with above

the higher power option also makes the binos better for astronomy

edj

Hi Clive P, I once had a bat (pipistrelles) roost in my roof. In theory an ideal situation for getting photographs and observing - inside they can find a way of lurking out of sight (and being protected etc) and as they emerge - well you have a brief view of a head checking where they will go and then a blur as they head for an evening meal.

I used 7x50s to see some detail and retain dof, I must admit that like you in the end I gave up and used my eyes.

If someone came up with a reasonable quality zoom I would have used it with kingfishers over rivers. It would have been far easier to acquire at wide and track them zoomed in. Not sure that I would have had enough use to fork out for the Swavs but with use you never know.

I actually thought that I had once owned some zoom bins, but on checking I cant find any evidence - so must have just borrowed some once - I can remember trying to zoom smoothly but really ended up at one end or the other.

I actually think that from using video quite a lot that trying to manually zoom something the size of binoculars is always going to be a problem (someone please disagree) and power zooming works far better. I have the uncomfortable feeling we are heading back into the realms of Canon IS etc?, or the Duovid solution.

I miss the house with the bats - you could sit in the garden and not be eaten alive in the evening as they criss crossed above your head chomping away - great creatures.

Cheers. I loved how the Kingfisher sort of road raged at the bat like get the hell out of my way and the bat just carried on driving very eratically. I'm surprised the Kingfisher didn't spear it with it's bill and glad it didn't. Nice to see the creatures sort of getting along. I bet the Kingfisher wondered what the hell it was 3:)

I imagine it will be a while until I see something like that again.

I actually think that from using video quite a lot that trying to manually zoom something the size of binoculars is always going to be a problem (someone please disagree) and power zooming works far better. I have the uncomfortable feeling we are heading back into the realms of Canon IS etc?, or the Duovid solution.

I miss the house with the bats - you could sit in the garden and not be eaten alive in the evening as they criss crossed above your head chomping away - great creatures.

Had a bat in our bedroom, fortunately my son had a butterfly net, so we got a good chance to admire this wonderful little creature.
Sadly there are fewer in NYC Central Park than before, probably too successful extermination of insects that might annoy people...
Agree completely that power zoom is the only way to go, it is cheap, fast and accurate, thanks to millions of zoom camera lenses driving down the costs. That probably also means the zoom glass will be a Star Wars style Cyclops design, just to ensure the size, weight and left right balance remain tolerable.

Yes, I purchased some 7-21x50 Tasco porros about 27-28 years ago. I still have them, strangely enough...maybe they will go up in value. ;)

However, they are not much to look through. Interestingly, you get about as much resolution at 7x as you do at 21x, in other words, the extra zoom doesn't really get you anything. Yes, they are dim with a narrow field of view, despite the 50mm oculars. It is best left at 7x, then you just have a heavy set of porros with nothing much to write home about.

On a brighter note, in the world of camera lenses, zooms are getting much better. It used to be a no-brainer that primes were always better than zooms when it came to camera lenses. However, some of the newest higher-end zooms are approaching prime lenses in their optical quality, and a newer high-dollar zoom is typically better than a mid-range prime. Hopefully some of this tech will trickle down to sporting optics.

Zoomaphobics look away.

I tried the Sopera 5 to 15 x17 Flat zoom binocular this morning at 7.45am, clear skies bright sunshine. Looking NE into shade. 3C TDP -1C 1013 hPa.
It is very good.
Round images, not oblong like Minolta 8x18 and similar.
I can hold it very steadily indeed at 15x. 160g weight.
I was watching a crow preening itself for several minutes 120 yds away on the chimney top.
Resolution is very high. 1.1mm exit pupil Eye relief ~6mm 2.5 deg field. Image dull and a bit soft but much more detail than any hand held 8x binocular.
At 10x and 12x the image was good.

This Opticron binocular was reviewed in Birdforum in 2004?
Also Vixen version maybe still available.
My Jan 2003 test review is very favourable.

A couple of years ago my husband and I were in the basement family room watching TV.

Something swooped by and scared the bejesus out of me as I didn't know what it was.

I finally got a good look and saw that it was a little bat who, I think, had come in the vent for the clothes dryer.

He went into the dark laundry room and hung from the ceiling.

We got the dogs out of the way so they wouldn't try to hurt him and got a ladder.

I took a towel and gently caught the little guy and was able to get a good look at him. He was so cute with his wee little face.

We took him outside and released him and watched him fly away into the night.

A couple of years ago my husband and I were in the basement family room watching TV.

Something swooped by and scared the bejesus out of me as I didn't know what it was.

I finally got a good look and saw that it was a little bat who, I think, had come in the vent for the clothes dryer.

He went into the dark laundry room and hung from the ceiling.

We got the dogs out of the way so they wouldn't try to hurt him and got a ladder.

I took a towel and gently caught the little guy and was able to get a good look at him. He was so cute with his wee little face.

We took him outside and released him and watched him fly away into the night.

bejesus? I don't even say that.

That day I was watching the bat it sort of reminded me of a scene from that film Avatar. Beautiful spot especially this time of year. Best light together with autumn. The leaves are just appearing again so fresh as can be. Seems like the days have suddenly just become twice as long so lots of work to be done and new life to be enjoyed.

the Doctor Vario 20-50 x 80 is getting good press now on
Cloudy Nights/
-Binoculars/
--I have an Itch for a Doctor Aspectium...... on page 7

but then we are talking $5-6000 US$

edj

Never met a pair I liked, and even turned down a couple cheapos for free.
But if ECJ says they can be fun, I'll keep an open mind.

anyone have the Leupoid zoom of a few years ago?

edj

That was a switch-power binocular, not a zoom. 7x and 12x by 32 if my recollection is correct and I think there was a 10x and 15x by 42 also.

I almost got the 7x/12x but I never did reach for my wallet.

Bob

That was a switch-power binocular, not a zoom. 7x and 12x by 32 if my recollection is correct and I think there was a 10x and 15x by 42 also.

I almost got the 7x/12x but I never did reach for my wallet.

Bob

I considered it also, but never ordered.
Apparently not many others ordered either and went off market .

edj

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back