• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Choice - Small IPD Required (1 Viewer)

dangie

Hello
I have just joined the forum and already I need to ask a question.

I am 65 years old and have decided to buy a pair of binoculars for general wildlife and birding. I already have a pair of Pentax 10x21 mini binoculars which I take when out hill walking but feel it's time to supplement these with a full sized pair.

Unfortunately I need a pair with a small Interpupillary Distance as my eyes seem to be quite close together. The Pentax's narrowest IPD is approx 57mm which is where I have it set. Looking at binocular specifications it seems to me that most minimum IPD's are 60mm.

Two binoculars I have singled out with smaller IPD's are the Hawke Endurance ED (53mm IPD) and the Opticron Explorer WA Oasis-C (55mm IPD). These both fit my requirement being 8x42 and approx £200.

Reviews for these binoculars seem to indicated they are good value. Are there any others in a similar price range which also have a small IPD?

Thank you.

Hi Dangie,

Welcome to the forum.

You may have already seen my report on the Explorer Oasis C.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=309012

I thought this was rather good for the money and a pleasure to use. The Endurance ED or perhaps the Opticron Alpha (not available online) tend to be priced a little lower and for me, that is reflected in the performance. Not quite the same level of contrast or effective resolution as the Explorer and with a bit more edge distortion. The Endurance/Alpha features ED glass but I did not feel the CA control quite matched the Explorer. They are still very usable binoculars all the same and cheaper as I said. Personally I'd pay the difference and go for the Explorer, but it's always best to try these things for yourself.

David

Last edited:
Hello David.
Many thanks for your reply.

Yes I had read your report and thought it excellent. I think the Opticron is the one I'll go for.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back