• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

East London Birders Lee Valley Birders? (1 Viewer)

streatham

Hi All,

I am going to be based with my family in the Old Street area for a couple of weeks. Apart from the Lee Valley is there anywhere else nearby that I should consider birding. Also anybody got a likely species list for Lee Valley in winter. I am going to probably be limited to the lower part of the area. Preferably accessible by public transport. I have one day actually birding planned but want some suggestions of where I can just go for a walk locally each day. If I can see a few interesting passerines (not just titmice and the common breeding finches) and maybe a gull or two that I can ID with my bins I'll be happy (can't be bothered to lug the Swarovski).

Luke

Hi all, Does anybody know whether or not the Biiterns are still at Lee Valley CP because I went there a few years back and had stunning views and now that I have a decent camera I would go and have a look if they were there.
Many Thanks,
Lee

Lee - the Bitterns have been very difficult to find in the valley over the last couple of winters. As far as I'm aware, there's only been a handful of records this winter. Hopefully one or two will have come in with the recent cold snap and easterlies...

There has been a Bittern at Amwell (in November), but I failed to see it. It seems to have disappeared anyway... Smew (4 drakes now - but tricky!), Water Rails out in the open, Little Egret roost, and usually some birdwatchers who may have more gen. Amwell is easy enough to reach from St. Margaret's (East Hertford line).
Rainham Marshes is one of the sites that may well be worth your efforts to reach (15 minutes walk from Purfleet station: Bearded Tit, Short-eared Owl, harriers and geese possible).
Southend Pier has a nice collection of confiding Med Gulls at its head, but that may be stretching it a bit?

Hi Luke,

Some good suggestions above.

You'll be near Liverpool St station, so a train to Leigh on Sea would be easy enough and the station is right by Two Tree Island, which is a good spot.
The Southend RSPB site gives directions to the site and others locally, link below:-
http://www.southendrspb.co.uk/

Have a good trip and Happy Xmas,B :)

Hi Luke,

Some good suggestions above.

You'll be near Liverpool St station, so a train to Leigh on Sea would be easy enough and the station is right by Two Tree Island, which is a good spot.
The Southend RSPB site gives directions to the site and others locally, link below:-
http://www.southendrspb.co.uk/

Have a good trip and Happy Xmas,B :)

I think Liverpool Street Station is closed this holiday, so beware! Also, some other lines really badly affected by engineering works.

There has been a Bittern at Amwell (in November), but I failed to see it. It seems to have disappeared anyway... Smew (4 drakes now - but tricky!), Water Rails out in the open, Little Egret roost, and usually some birdwatchers who may have more gen. Amwell is easy enough to reach from St. Margaret's (East Hertford line).
Rainham Marshes is one of the sites that may well be worth your efforts to reach (15 minutes walk from Purfleet station: Bearded Tit, Short-eared Owl, harriers and geese possible).
Southend Pier has a nice collection of confiding Med Gulls at its head, but that may be stretching it a bit?

Amwell Smew are very reliable but not much else in the Lee Valley at the moment, but agree Rainham good and if you want Bittern, then Barnes WWT has one currently.

Mark

Thanks for all the info guys. I am probably limited to just hiking the canal towards Hackney Marches for a couple of days but hopefully I'll get further afield after that. Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back