• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 $200-$300.... Carson? (1 Viewer)

LocalHero

Hi, I'm an amateur, casual birder and am needing to replace my old Pentax 8x42's. I spend a lot of time in a kayak and am wanting waterproof, rugged and light weight combined with good optics of course. For readily available bins, I've narrowed it down to Carson ed, Nikon Monarch 5's and was looking at the Eagle Optics Rangers but they seem to be edged out by weight and price so far.
I do care about the small inconveniences that can come with any product and I read about the Monarch lens caps being a pita... not sure how I'd be with the unusual Carson case but I'd probably just keep them on a harness outside of the case like I tend to do now anyway.
I'll add that when I've been frustrated with bins it's often in low light situations. I think the Carsons are supposed to have the edge there, yes?
Warranty seems similar.

I find very little discussion here about the Carson's and less by anyone who actually owns them. I've read and been influenced by online reviews (OpticsReviewer for instance) but don't know how valid those are. The Monarchs I've been able to find locally but not the Carsons. The Carsons are About $56 cheaper at B&H Photo... is there any reason not to get the Carsons?

Sorry for yet another "which bins?" thread but I wasn't finding much Carson specific info.

Thanks!

If you are looking at Nikon seriously, I would stretch it a bit, and look at the Monarch 7.

Try the 8X30 or the 10X30, before you make a final decision and plunk down your money.

Just my opinion.

For readily available bins, I've narrowed it down to Carson ed, Nikon Monarch 5's and was looking at the Eagle Optics Rangers but they seem to be edged out by weight and price so far.
I do care about the small inconveniences that can come with any product and I read about the Monarch lens caps being a pita... not sure how I'd be with the unusual Carson case but I'd probably just keep them on a harness outside of the case like I tend to do now anyway.
I'll add that when I've been frustrated with bins it's often in low light situations. I think the Carsons are supposed to have the edge there, yes?
Warranty seems similar.

I haven't ever heard of the Carsons, and the review site you mention isn't one I personally remember as being influential in my decisions.

If the Monarch 5 objective caps are anything like the Monarch 7 objective caps, then they are amongst the best factory installed objective caps ever. The m7 caps are freaking awesome.

Since you find poor low light performance to be one of your pain points, stay away from 8x30 and 8x32 - the 8x42 range is good, if you can find a 7x42 in your price range all the better, or a 7x50.

I haven't used the monarch 5 in a bit, but my memory is that it was one of the really nice first look binoculars. That is, very easy to position your eyes for, and pretty image. Over time, I was seeing some weird edge artifacts, but not everyone sees those.

It sounds like your budget is around 300 at the high end? In more-or-less that range, I would also look at the Celestron granite in 7x33

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/celestron/celestron-granite-7x33-binocular. It's fairly light (but I bet the monarch is lighter) and has a reasonable objective to magnification ratio for low light. It is also pretty compact, and you might like the relatively wide field of view.

What kind of Pentax are you replacing? Is it the 8x42 roof that Eagle has on sale at 249, or a different beast?

I had the Carsons in 10x42 and directly compared them to the Vanguard Endeavor http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=310429
They were great in low light but the edges weren't as sharp as the Endeavors. Ergonomics were great with the Carsons. In your price range put the Celestron Granite on your short list. Center field sharpness is as good as any bino I've ever looked through. Falls off a bit at the edge but it isn't distracting. Nice and bright also.

If you are looking at Nikon seriously, I would stretch it a bit, and look at the Monarch 7.

Try the 8X30 or the 10X30, before you make a final decision and plunk down your money.

Just my opinion.

I actually would like to pick up the 10x42 monarch 7 but don't think I need to push the budget given my more "casual" birder status. I have been out with groups where folks had much nicer bins than mine so I appreciate how much better it can be but I'm sure the monarch 5 will impress the girls well enough in my circles. :)

I have a pair of the Carson ED's in 8x42. They are a good binocular for the price. For the standard asking price of around $250 I have not owned anything that I would pick over the Carson. Having said that I have not tried a Trailseeker or a ZRS HD.

Some more info here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=273137

I'd not seen that thread before, thanks.

I haven't ever heard of the Carsons, and the review site you mention isn't one I personally remember as being influential in my decisions.

If the Monarch 5 objective caps are anything like the Monarch 7 objective caps, then they are amongst the best factory installed objective caps ever. The m7 caps are freaking awesome.

Since you find poor low light performance to be one of your pain points, stay away from 8x30 and 8x32 - the 8x42 range is good, if you can find a 7x42 in your price range all the better, or a 7x50.

I haven't used the monarch 5 in a bit, but my memory is that it was one of the really nice first look binoculars. That is, very easy to position your eyes for, and pretty image. Over time, I was seeing some weird edge artifacts, but not everyone sees those.

It sounds like your budget is around 300 at the high end? In more-or-less that range, I would also look at the Celestron granite in 7x33

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/celestron/celestron-granite-7x33-binocular. It's fairly light (but I bet the monarch is lighter) and has a reasonable objective to magnification ratio for low light. It is also pretty compact, and you might like the relatively wide field of view.

What kind of Pentax are you replacing? Is it the 8x42 roof that Eagle has on sale at 249, or a different beast?

I find that the lens cap is most important on the eye cup end (what would that be called?) where it's susceptible to rain, paddle splash, etc. Those are the caps I've read complaints about with the Monarchs.

I doubt I'd want to go down to a 7x... I'm more likely to try a 10x bin but the 8x probably makes the most sense.

My pentax are 8x42 WP over 10 years old so I doubt they're on sale anywhere. The nameplate is missing so I don't know the exact model.

Here is a comment dated today about the Carson 3D ED 8x42 comparing it to the legendary Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3340886&postcount=1241

Bob

Thanks, it seems like kflan22 is one of the few people who actually have tried the Carsons. Good info though!

I evidently read poorly, and missed the part about low light.

Sorry.

:)

I had the Carsons in 10x42 and directly compared them to the Vanguard Endeavor http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=310429
They were great in low light but the edges weren't as sharp as the Endeavors. Ergonomics were great with the Carsons. In your price range put the Celestron Granite on your short list. Center field sharpness is as good as any bino I've ever looked through. Falls off a bit at the edge but it isn't distracting. Nice and bright also.

The Celestrons could be nice and there's a rebate that brings them to close to the Carson price... they're not ED? I was under the impression that ED was the way to go if you could get it in this price range. I'd definitely have to hold them to see if that style would be comfortable to me.

Thanks for the answers!

Edit: I see the Celestrons do have ED glass. It it just isn't in the description on the B&H site.

Last edited:
was looking at the Eagle Optics Rangers but they seem to be edged out by weight and price so far.

Did you notice the unconditional unlimited warranty that Eagle Optics offer?
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocula...anger-ed-8x42-binocular/manufacturer_warranty
You drop them, drive your car over them, whatever ... they are repaired or replaced.

I have an older (non-ED) version of the EO Ranger, in my case Vixen branded (in the US they were sold as Celestron Regal: http://betterviewdesired.com/Celestron-Regal.php ). They are made by Kamakura in Japan. A really nice instrument that I have no hesitation to recommend.

ED glass is nice, but many oddball brands have poor mechanical parts. Nikon Monarch 5s ($330 at REI) can be found and if not ED, the Nikon - PROSTAFF 5 8x42 Binoculars are 160 at Best Buy. I would get them but I have the Monarchs still in shape.

Most articles and posts ive read say that the Vanguard Endeavor ed 8x42's beat out everything in their price range. I have them based on that info and I love them. I cant speak for any other bin but I suggest you check the Vanguards out.

Hi, I'm an amateur, casual birder and am needing to replace my old Pentax 8x42's. I spend a lot of time in a kayak and am wanting waterproof, rugged and light weight combined with good optics of course. For readily available bins, I've narrowed it down to Carson ed, Nikon Monarch 5's and was looking at the Eagle Optics Rangers but they seem to be edged out by weight and price so far.
Warranty seems similar.

I find very little discussion here about the Carson's and less by anyone who actually owns them. I've read and been influenced by online reviews (OpticsReviewer for instance) but don't know how valid those are. The Monarchs I've been able to find locally but not the Carson sdfvices. The Carsons are About $56 cheaper at B&H Photo... is there any reason not to get the Carsons?

Sorry for yet another "which bins?" thread but I wasn't finding much Carson specific info.

Thanks!

Welcome to Birdforum. You have come to the right place if looking for optics advice.

I have the Nikon Monarch 5 8x42, and I find it a very nice binocular, and agree with you it may a good choice for your active plans. The objective covers do seal well, and I am very impressed with
the handling and quality of view.

I do not have any experience with the others you have mentioned.

Jerry

I'll take a look at the Vanguards if I can find them in person. There's a number of complaints about them regarding "chromatic aberration" though most reviewers don't seem to have a problem with it. Quality control issues or just some folks are very sensitive? They're also 1/4 lb heavier and I'm not sure what that will feel like. I think I would get used to the open bridge design but I'd like to feel that in person.

The Carson's have nearly the same warranty as Eagle Optics; $15 shipping but everything's covered.

I haven't had any time to look further but when I do I'll have more information to guide (or confuse) me. :)

Thanks again.

I'll take a look at the Vanguards if I can find them in person. There's a number of complaints about them regarding "chromatic aberration" though most reviewers don't seem to have a problem with it. Quality control issues or just some folks are very sensitive? They're also 1/4 lb heavier and I'm not sure what that will feel like. I think I would get used to the open bridge design but I'd like to feel that in person.

The Carson's have nearly the same warranty as Eagle Optics; $15 shipping but everything's covered.

I haven't had any time to look further but when I do I'll have more information to guide (or confuse) me. :)

Thanks again.

Be aware that there are Vanguard ED and Vanguard ED II. The ED variant is in your price range. I don't know what the ED II is selling for, but I suspect that's the one you are seeing positive things about.

Amazon had the ED (not ED II) as a gold box about 15 months ago, for 170 bucks. I picked up a set and have been unimpressed with them.

If you would like my pair of 10x42, PM me - I'll unload them on you at a discount happily. I have the soft case and the ocular covers. I think one of the objective covers is gone, but I'd recommend you pick up a set of the Butler Creek objective covers for any bins where the objective covers don't fit snugly inside the barrels when closed. No scratches on the optics, no dings in the housing, but the cover for the tripod mount is almost certainly long gone (but I will look in car.)

The ED lasted about 2 months as my car binoculars. That is, they weren't up to being the bins I used as my backup glass - the times I pulled them out I was able to see what I was looking at (and once I was able to get a good look at something interesting, small and odd with them) but I just never liked them much.

They're now something I keep in mind when I think of what doesn't work for me with a good on paper binocular. Yes, the ED apparently has ED glass, but not of an effective type for my eyes. What the glass does do is drain the vibrancy from the view.

From what I've read, the ED II is much better, but I have not looked through a pair.

Last edited:
To follow up on this thread and the advice given here... I ended up buying the Carson 8x42 ED glass bins. The decision was mainly based on price and the fact that I probably wouldn't notice the difference between them and the Monarch 5's or Eagle Rangers. The Carsons were $241 shipped to my door from Jet.com (there was a discount code). I like the binoculars themselves a lot. I compared them side by side with my brother's Eagle Rangers and couldn't tell a difference. Otoh, the case is something I'll probably never use as intended. I doubt I'll ever get used to having that case dangling from the bins while holding them up to my eyes. The only other complaint is in the strap... when I connect is as shown, the buckle and slide thing are too loosely fitted so that the strap works it's way loose. I've already lost one of the buckles and figure I'll have jury rig a better (quick detatch) connection system. Not a big deal but just kind of stupid design for bins of this quality.

I've received the lens covers from Carson but haven't tried them out yet.

Thanks to all for the replies and advice!

I actually would like to pick up the 10x42 monarch 7 but don't think I need to push the budget given my more "casual" birder status. I have been out with groups where folks had much nicer bins than mine so I appreciate how much better it can be but I'm sure the monarch 5 will impress the girls well enough in my circles. :)

In most cases the girls would be more impressed with the 7 over the 5.....:smoke:....just sayin

The Nikon M5 is a very solid bin, but its big weakness is the small field of view (only 330').
Personally I'd take the Celestron Trailseeker or Hawke Frontier (which both offer 426' with comparable image quality)
You could probably find the Trailseeker for quite a bit less $ than the M5 and the Frontier for just a bit more (the
Frontier has a more solid magnesium body than the polycarbonate of the Trailseeker).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back