• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

Says thou !, with thy recent change to dual Anglo/Scots nationality ;)

I am thinking about spending a week or two in England this year.;)

Bishop Middleham is a simply fantastic reserve. I wonder what the first big crowd drawer will be? Wouldn't mind something like Stilt Sandpiper.

If anyone reading this hasn't been to Bishop Middleham I would highly reccomend it as its a fantastic reserve and without a doubt the best wetland site away from Teesside as Steve has stated. The scrapes and other plans can only be a good thing for the reserve.

I am thinking about spending a week or two in England this year.;)

Bishop Middleham is a simply fantastic reserve. I wonder what the first big crowd drawer will be? Wouldn't mind something like Stilt Sandpiper.

If anyone reading this hasn't been to Bishop Middleham I would highly reccomend it as its a fantastic reserve and without a doubt the best wetland site away from Teesside as Steve has stated. The scrapes and other plans can only be a good thing for the reserve.

We had a good few 100 through for the Wilsons Phal :king:

A rarity would be nice, but Spotted Crake is my target bird there later this Summer

Hi Steve Hurworth Burn used to cracking for waders when the water level was right seen 15 species of wader there in one day.Still think you cannot beat Barmston Pond for waders when the water level is right.But i think we have lost Barmston Pond for waders which is a crying shame.

Popped into Barmston last week - water level still high despite the very dry conditions weve had.

but rather than dwell on the water level / pumping issue, the obvious soloution to me would be to get an excavator in for a day or two
Selectively reprofile sections of shoreline & tip the spoil into the water to create a series of islets / shallows.

A couple of hundred pound to make the site more diverse year round & create feeding areas for waders

Popped into Barmston last week - water level still high despite the very dry conditions weve had.

but rather than dwell on the water level / pumping issue, the obvious soloution to me would be to get an excavator in for a day or two
Selectively reprofile sections of shoreline & tip the spoil into the water to create a series of islets / shallows.

A couple of hundred pound to make the site more diverse year round & create feeding areas for waders

Unfortunately it's not as easy as that. Ideas have been explored in-depth by both Durham Bird Club and South Tyneside Coastal Conservation Group but it's considered a bit of a 'no-go' without full council backing. The main problem is the crassula - soil/mud cannot be moved on or off site and it creates problems using machinery.

rokermartin said:
...Still think you cannot beat Barmston Pond for waders when the water level is right...

One of the best places for waders in South Tyneside is right on your doorstep and doesn't need pumping or water level management - Whitburn Steel! Around 33 species of wader recorded here in recent years including such quality birds as American and Pacific Golden Plovers, Dotterel, White-rumped and Buff-breasted Sandpipers, Grey Phal etc. The best site away from Teesmouth for numbers of waders so always birds to look through. And also relatively under-watched so plenty of chance to find your own birds.

The trouble with Barmston is that is has always relied on pumping - and if you get a couple of heavy downpours the week after you lowered the water levels, that's it until the next year. A lot of effort would be put into making a site attractive for passage waders for just a few weeks out of an autumn with no benefit to breeding/resident birds.

It's hard to not get excited about visiting the area, not just Castle Lake but also Stoneybeck Lake, Fishburn Lake and the A1 Flashes all within walking distance of each other, providing a superb variety of species all year round.

A rarity would be nice, but Spotted Crake is my target bird there later this Summer

I'm predicting Spoonbill or Great White Egret.

...I'm predicting Spoonbill or Great White Egret.

It's surprising that a Great White Egret hasn't dropped in yet, considering how regular they've become on the Tees Marshes (5 different birds there in 2009). Castle Lake should get it's late summer influx of Little Egret very soon, so maybe something extra with them this year.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as that. Ideas have been explored in-depth by both Durham Bird Club and South Tyneside Coastal Conservation Group but it's considered a bit of a 'no-go' without full council backing. The main problem is the crassula - soil/mud cannot be moved on or off site and it creates problems using machinery.

One of the best places for waders in South Tyneside is right on your doorstep and doesn't need pumping or water level management - Whitburn Steel! Around 33 species of wader recorded here in recent years including such quality birds as American and Pacific Golden Plovers, Dotterel, White-rumped and Buff-breasted Sandpipers, Grey Phal etc. The best site away from Teesmouth for numbers of waders so always birds to look through. And also relatively under-watched so plenty of chance to find your own birds.

The trouble with Barmston is that is has always relied on pumping - and if you get a couple of heavy downpours the week after you lowered the water levels, that's it until the next year. A lot of effort would be put into making a site attractive for passage waders for just a few weeks out of an autumn with no benefit to breeding/resident birds.
Whitburn Steel is good for waders but we haven't got a place for fresh water waders in stynside a part from Boldon Flats when its floods.Boldon flats should be partically flooded in September it would excellent for Ruffs,Wood Sands,Green Sands,Greenshanks,Spotted Redshanks, Common Sands,Little Stints to drop in.I still think Boldon flats is going to waste and the maddening thing is it could be a first class bird and wildlife site for styneside.

Last edited:
I have visited Castle Lake in once before but I think I took the wrong access route, I went through the kids playground and over the large grass hill so that I ended up on the opposite bank to the hide. What is the best way to access the lake to get the best views?

Matt

Whitburn Steel is good for waders but we haven't got a place for fresh water waders in stynside a part from Boldon Flats when its floods.Boldon flats should be partically flooded in September it would excellent for Ruffs,Wood Sands,Green Sands,Greenshanks,Spotted Redshanks, Common Sands,Little Stints to drop in.I still think Boldon flats is going to waste and the maddening thing is it could be a first class bird and wildlife site for styneside.

Although there have been a few occasions when Boldon Flats has attracted good numbers of passage waders following heavy rain, the overall wader list is nowhere near as good as Barmston or Whitburn Steel. Only 2 scarce waders have been found at the Flats - American Golden Plover (1994) and Pec Sand (1985).
Unfortunately, as you know, the Flats won't get flooded any more frequently than it does now.

Unfortunately, as you know, the Flats won't get flooded any more frequently than it does now.

I dont think that has to be the case, there's still potential for improvement and we shouldnt give up yet.
Even increasing the numbers of scarcer(and even common for that matter)Waders has to be a good thing and perhaps a big part of the reason it hasnt attracted more rarities is because the water hasnt been there for them at the right times, I'm sure we would get them if the habitat was there for them.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as that.
Ideas have been explored in-depth by both Durham Bird Club and South Tyneside Coastal Conservation Group but it's considered a bit of a 'no-go' without full council backing.
The main problem is the crassula - soil/mud cannot be moved on or off site and it creates problems using machinery.

Oh, but it is as easy as that !

Yes, its obvious & goes without saying that particular invasive species would be best dealt with prior to any excavating ! -

NB: There are rather simple methods to achieve 100% eradication of Crassula helmsii.

Then its a simple task to reprofile the banks / shoreline.

The main problems are :-
there seems to be no desire from Sunderland City Council to make anything of this reserve - this plan was suggested to them in detail a good few year back.

the type of folk who make decisions have a tendancy to be those who sit on their arses all day, shuffling bits of paper, putting hurdles up that neednt be there & spouting rules & reg's.
they rarely get their hands dirty, are out of touch with whats going on & therefore fail to see what is so easily achievable on the ground.

Last edited:
Although there have been a few occasions when Boldon Flats has attracted good numbers of passage waders following heavy rain, the overall wader list is nowhere near as good as Barmston or Whitburn Steel. Only 2 scarce waders have been found at the Flats - American Golden Plover (1994) and Pec Sand (1985).
A killdeer was found in the Boldon flats area in 1976 by Ian Mill.When i first started birding every spring the flats used to attract passage waders and Yellow Wagtails.When the flats does flood it get good numbers of fresh water waders.The flats is the only place we have in Stynside for those sorts of waders.It's not only about seeing rare or scarce waders or other birds.I am sure a few of the local birders and even none birders would like to see Boldon Flats as a proper nature reserve for all types of wildlife and birds.Wildlife is having rough time as it is with loss of habitat and climate change etc we should be helping out as much as we can.Making places like the flats even better for wildlife and not to see them go to waste as the flats is at the moment.

Last edited:
I dont think that has to be the case, there's still potential for improvement and we shouldnt give up yet.
Even increasing the numbers of scarcer(and even common for that matter)Waders has to be a good thing and perhaps a big part of the reason it hasnt attracted more rarities is because the water hasnt been there for them at the right times, I'm sure we would get them if the habitat was there for them.
I agree Adam the flats could be a first class little nature reserve as you say it's got great potential.I also agree we shouldn't give up on trying to get it sorted out and i know others feel the same as we do

Last edited:

Oh, but it is as easy as that !

Yes, its obvious & goes without saying that particular invasive species would be best dealt with prior to any excavating ! -

NB: There are rather simple methods to achieve 100% eradication of Crassula helmsii.

Then its a simple task to reprofile the banks / shoreline.

The main problems are :-
there seems to be no desire from Sunderland City Council to make anything of this reserve - this plan was suggested to them in detail a good few year back.

the type of folk who make decisions have a tendancy to be those who sit on their arses all day, shuffling bits of paper, putting hurdles up that neednt be there & spouting rules & reg's.
they rarely get their hands dirty, are out of touch with whats going on & therefore fail to see what is so easily achievable on the ground.

Like I said, it's not easy without council backing. I'm sure that if ridding the site of Crassula was 'simple', the council would have tried this in the past when the site was managed by bird-friendly employees like Peter Bell. Maybe write to the council to advise on how it could be achieved/offer services?

rokermartin said:
A killdeer was found in the Boldon flats area in 1976 by Ian Mill. .....I agree Adam the flats could be a first class little nature reserve as you say it's got great potential.I also agree we shouldn't give up on trying to get it sorted out and i know others feel the same as we do

I hadn't included this as I don't think it was at the Flats - it was in a grassy field closer to East Boldon as far as I understand.

rokermartin said:
I agree Adam the flats could be a first class little nature reserve as you say it's got great potential.I also agree we shouldn't give up on trying to get it sorted out and i know others feel the same as we do

The Coastal Conservation Group is the best place to air further views on any potential management plans here (as discussed at earlier meetings).

Like I said, it's not easy without council backing.
I'm sure that if ridding the site of Crassula was 'simple', the council would have tried this in the past when the site was managed by bird-friendly employees like Peter Bell.
Maybe write to the council to advise on how it could be achieved/offer services?.

like i already typed - this plan was suggested to them in detail a good few year back.

There are several methods to get rid of the stuff - all work to varying degrees, the simplest kills it off 100% - they can find out from the RSPB.

its the Councils reserve, they've had advice on how to maximise the site for wild birds, they dont appear interested . . .

Perhaps they have different staff on board now who have a bit passion & enthusiasm for the place ?

But Dont forget - these are the people who covered a tern nesting raft in sharp 2" dolly

Last edited:

Are you still banging on about this!!! Seriously Martin, LET IT GO!

Adam/Martin,

We ‘ALL’ agree that the flats could be a fantastic site if it was managed correctly, and no local birder to my knowledge has ever argued otherwise. Unfortunately as things stand at the moment there’s very little room/scope for improvement, I thought you both realised this, (weren’t you at the first CCG meeting when all the problems were highlighted?)…

However, that said, you can both bet your boots that there’s plenty willing hands to make those improvements ‘on site’ should the opportunity ever arise in the future. Until then, it’s ‘hats off’ to the guys who are currently working under very difficult circumstances, and doing everything they can for the time being – you know who you are:clap:.

Dougie.

Adam/Martin,

We ‘ALL’ agree that the flats could be a fantastic site if it was managed correctly, and no local birder to my knowledge has ever argued otherwise. Unfortunately as things stand at the moment there’s very little room/scope for improvement, I thought you both realised this, (weren’t you at the first CCG meeting when all the problems were highlighted?)…

However, that said, you can both bet your boots that there’s plenty willing hands to make those improvements ‘on site’ should the opportunity ever arise in the future. Until then, it’s ‘hats off’ to the guys who are currently working under very difficult circumstances, and doing everything they can for the time being – you know who you are:clap:.

Dougie.

Very diplomatically put mate. I thought I'd go for the more subtle version! But maybe your version was better.:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back