• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (3 Viewers)

A quick visit today revealed a juv Little Stint on the main lake from the hide - first seen at about 10:45am and still showing and feeding away on the far back at 11:30 when i left the hide).

Also 1 Snipe and a juv Great Crested Grebe (found earlier by Steve Evans - cheers)

Cheers Gary

& theres you wanting to be tipped off if "we" find owt down there !
stuck some iPhoned pics on below - CW watched it walk past in front of the hide 5 mins earlier

GCGrebe plummeted locally, no breeders now & only been half a dozen or so " bird-days" so far in 2010.

what i want to know is where did my distant roosting "dunlin" go . . . Doh !:-O

Attachments

• Stint_23_AUG_2010.gif
    Stint_23_AUG_2010.gif
    149.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Stint2_23_AUG_2010.gif
    Stint2_23_AUG_2010.gif
    139.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Stint3_23_AUG_2010.gif
    Stint3_23_AUG_2010.gif
    266.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Lowbarns

At Lowbarns to today I got a brief but great view of my first Hobby. There was also 2 Kingfishers and 1 Green Woodpecker. There was also 3-4 young birds about but i wasn't sure what they were (pic2).

Attachments

• Hobby_edited-1.jpg
    Hobby_edited-1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_9951_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_9951_edited-1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
At Lowbarns to today I got a brief but great view of my first Hobby. There was also 2 Kingfishers and 1 Green Woodpecker. There was also 3-4 young birds about but i wasn't sure what they were (pic2).

Great view indeed !
& great first post.

pic2 looks like it may be a Willow Warbler

(We used to have another David Brown post on here - wonder what happened to him ?)

The Dave browns

Good pics Dave, I think you are living at low barns at the moment. Steve I still bump into the other David brown now and then. Pushed him out of deep snow last winter at scaling dam. Got his own website too.

Zinc Works Road - 7.00 am! - Whinchat x2, Wheatear x1, Grey Partridge x2, Linnet x30 & Goldfinch c.30 being chased by a male Merlin, Curlew, Kestrel, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Common Whitethroat x3, Reed Bunting x2, Swallow c.100. Mink x1 in the beck perpendicular to the road. It may have come out from and gone back under the road as it saw me and dived back out of sight.

RSPB Saltholme - Wildlife Watchpoint - Greenshank x2.

Saltholme hide - Ruff, Little Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Snipe, Yellow Wagtail x2 adults, Pied Wagtail x3, Little Grebe x3, Great Crested Grebe, Linnet, Shoveler - all giving close views.

Saltholme east - Little Gull, Whiskered Tern, Common Tern, Greenshank, Black-tailed Godwit, Ruff c.6, Dunlin, Ringed Plover.

Attachments

• IMG_8755a.jpg
    IMG_8755a.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8820 copy copya.jpg
    IMG_8820 copy copya.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8949a.jpg
    IMG_8949a.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9200b.jpg
    IMG_9200b.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9519ao.jpg
    IMG_9519ao.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 69
Rainton Meadows

Egytian Goose still on main lake with Greylags at lunchtime today. Very Little else apart from quite a few Wall Butterflies (which i've only seen twice before on the reserve)

RSPB Saltholme - am - Peregrine juvenile passed over c.10.00am heading east towards Dormans Pool. Whiskered Tern still present though not many waders - Dunlin x6, Black-tailed Godwit x1, Ruff x2 along causeway. Common Tern x1, Greenshank, Little Egret x7 on east pond.

Dormans Pool - Stonechat pair and Whitethroat by lower car park. Sparrowhawk x3, Goldfinch, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat by top car park.

A friend was ringing there today. Around 20 birds caught comprising - Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler and Wren.

Zinc Works Road - very little today - Swallows, Goldfinch, Linnet and Grey Partridge pair though distant compared to yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_9601aa.jpg
    IMG_9601aa.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9626a.jpg
    IMG_9626a.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9640a.jpg
    IMG_9640a.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9758a.jpg
    IMG_9758a.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9902a.jpg
    IMG_9902a.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 62
Todays Birding

Went to R M this morning for a look at the Egyptian Goose then on to Shibdon Pond for the Spotted Crake also showing Little Egret x2 G/Shank, G/Sand and Common Sand.
Called back down to Teeside Newburn Bridge Tunstones,Dunlin,Sanderling, lots of LRP
and the only pics of the day of the Med Gull.

Attachments

• IMG_1008098765.jpg
    IMG_1008098765.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 62
Egytian Goose still on main lake with Greylags at lunchtime today. Very Little else apart from quite a few Wall Butterflies (which i've only seen twice before on the reserve)

Gary, Jammy Heron-

the Little Stint is the first one there for 10 year :t:
That goose is only the second for the patch :smoke:
Your Nuthatch is still a major Blocker for us locals. :C

Hartleys hasnt got a look in
:t:

Gypo geese dont seem to have much of a reputation, but hopefully they'll begin to prosper & help our Lists after the loss of Ruddy Duck !!

Some pics on here
http://s-evans.blogspot.com/2010/08/walk-like.html

I had a ride over to Low Barns this morning. One of the first birds I saw (9.00am) was the Hobby perched on an electricity pole by the end of the boardwalk. Quite obliging for photos in poor light until a dog walker passed below where it was perched. It looked like it had a go at a Chiffchaff that was calling in the bushes below though it could have spotted a dragonfly as there were quite a few around today. It headed off into the trees by the Northumbrian Water hide where it perched. By the time I got around to the hide three Crows were perched where it had been. It wasn't seen again.

The only bird on the river was a Pheasant.

South Hide - Cormorant x17, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Moorhen and Tufted Duck. A flock of Greylags passed over but didn't land.

Quite a few birds flitting about in Alder Wood - Bullfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Long-tailed Tit, lots of Blackbird and Song Thrush and tits.

Feeding Station - Nuthatch x3, Great Spotted Woodpecker x2, Marsh Tit x3, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Robin, Great Tit, Blue Tit and lots of Coal Tit. A rabbit and a weasel paid a visit.

West Pond - Kingfisher x2, Sparrowhawk, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Heron.

Greatham Creek, Tidal Pool - 6.30pm - Curlew Sandpiper until flew off c.7.15pm. As it left a Little Stint dropped in giving very close views. Black-tailed Godwit c.30, Dunlin x15, Redshank c.30. Both Peregrine and Sparrowhawk over. Weasel along the path.

Attachments

• IMG_0061a.jpg
    IMG_0061a.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0071a.jpg
    IMG_0071a.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0626aa.jpg
    IMG_0626aa.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0367ao.jpg
    IMG_0367ao.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1136a.jpg
    IMG_1136a.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 116
A couple more photos from Low Barns today.

Attachments

• IMG_0953a.jpg
    IMG_0953a.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0972a.jpg
    IMG_0972a.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0235ao.jpg
    IMG_0235ao.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0813ao.jpg
    IMG_0813ao.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0456ao.jpg
    IMG_0456ao.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 102
feeding station

A couple more photos from Low Barns today.

Noticed the empty feeder & reminds me :-

The new feeding station adjacent the visitor centre at DWTs Rainton HQ is beginning to attract a few birds & should prove popular especially over the winter months -

## The DWT are keen to receive any contributions towards this ##

There are 2 metal bins in the HQ for any donations of bird seed / fat balls etc

---------------------------------------------------------

RMs 2010 Highlights:
Ruddy Duck, White fronted Goose, Waxwing, Bittern, Pintail, Iceland, Med, Glaucous, Yellow legged, Caspian & Ring Billed Gulls, Peregrine, Hobby, Garganey, GCGrebe, Yellow Wagtail, Jack Snipe, Whimbrel, Ringed Plover, Tree Pipit, Ring Ousel, Marsh Harrier, Osprey, Spotshank, Egyptian Goose(2nd site record), Nuthatch (1st site record), Goldeneye, Redstart x2, Little Stint (last 10year ago)

Noticed the empty feeder & reminds me :-

The new feeding station adjacent the visitor centre at DWTs Rainton HQ is beginning to attract a few birds & should prove popular especially over the winter months -

## The DWT are keen to receive any contributions towards this ##

There are 2 metal bins in the HQ for any donations of bird seed / fat balls etc

---------------------------------------------------------

RMs 2010 Highlights:
Ruddy Duck, White fronted Goose, Waxwing, Bittern, Pintail, Iceland, Med, Glaucous, Yellow legged, Caspian & Ring Billed Gulls, Peregrine, Hobby, Garganey, GCGrebe, Yellow Wagtail, Jack Snipe, Whimbrel, Ringed Plover, Tree Pipit, Ring Ousel, Marsh Harrier, Osprey, Spotshank, Egyptian Goose(2nd site record), Nuthatch (1st site record), Goldeneye, Redstart x2, Little Stint (last 10year ago)

Hi Steve

Is there anything like this in place at the Bishop Middleham hide? I would be happy to donate some bird food, fat balls etc.

Matt

Low Barnes today:
No sign of the hobby when I was there.
Kingfisher, mute swan and grey heron from the West hide, also 2 kingfisher seen from the Northumbrian hide, with very little else other than moorehen & mallards.
Very little on the river other than 3 grey wagtail on the ford and grey heron further upstream.
Plenty of the regulars at the feeding station including, blue, great, willow & coal tits, chaffinch, dunnock, robin, 2 GS woodpecker, nuthatch, also bank vole, but no sign of the stoat.

Still quite a few butterflies about, but starting to look very well worn, also few darters and various dragonflies/hawkers + unusual to see during the day was a single Lesser Yellow Underwing moth.

Attachments

• _MG_8151.JPG
    _MG_8151.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 71
  • _MG_8179.JPG
    _MG_8179.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 98
  • _MG_8190.JPG
    _MG_8190.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 108
  • _MG_8204.JPG
    _MG_8204.JPG
    294.8 KB · Views: 75
  • _MG_8255.JPG
    _MG_8255.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Low Barnes today:
No sign of the hoby when I was there.
Kingfisher, mute swan and grey heron from the West hide, also 2 kingfisher seen from the Northumbrian hide, with very little else other than moorehen & mallards.
Very little on the river other than 3 grey wagtail on the ford and grey heron further upstream.
Plenty of the regulars at the feeding station including, blue, great, willow & coal tits, chaffinch, dunnock, robin, 2 GS woodpecker, nuthatch, also bank vole, but no sign of the stoat.

Still quite a few butterflies about, but starting to look very well worn, also few darters and various dragonflies/hawkers + unusual to see during the day was a single Lesser Yellow Underwing moth.

Ray

I called into Low Barnes today and was lucky enough to catch the hobby flying past the Boardwalk so it is still around. Saw pretty much the same as you otherwise although I didn't see the kingfishers. As well as the grey wagtails there was a dipper along the ford.

On the way home called onto Hedleyhope Fell and sat transfixed for 45 minutes with superb views of 3 Kestrels hunting and playing, some of the views were stunning as they were either at eye level or below my viewing spot, not views I've ever had.

Paul

No sign of the Whiskered Tern at Saltholme Ponds the last two days so it may well have moved on - though it did previously disappear for two days not long after it arrived. I also checked Dormans Pool and the Rec. Pond. The Little Gull and BN Grebe have been seen still though not by me.

Still plenty of Greenshank, Black-tailed Godwits, Ruff and Dunlin present plus a Spotted Redshank. Little Egret x11 on the east pond. A Sparrowhawk flew over disturbing the Lapwing which mobbed it.

Greatham Creek - Little Stint was present this morning but staying distant. A Curlew Sandpiper was on the last part of Tidal Pool again but light was awful looking into the sun. It was still there this evening but on the main pool in with Dunlin c.20. Lots of Linnets and Goldfinch along the path plus a few Meadow Pipit.

Somehow I managed to lose my teleconverters there this morning. I think I must have left them on a bench by the tin hut whilst watching the Swallows. I'd be grateful for their return if anyone picked them up!

Attachments

• IMG_1663a.jpg
    IMG_1663a.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1606a.jpg
    IMG_1606a.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1841a.jpg
    IMG_1841a.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1681a.jpg
    IMG_1681a.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2258a.jpg
    IMG_2258a.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 114
Hi Steve

Is there anything like this in place at the Bishop Middleham hide? I would be happy to donate some bird food, fat balls etc.

Matt

Matt,
anything like this is very welcome
please feel free to leave any donations in the hide - someone will be onsite every other day or so to store it away in the tool shed.

We started feeding last year & it did pull in a few birds - although the finches, sparrows & buntings were spoilt somewhat down at Bishop Middleham with the Farnless Farm set up close by !
hopefully we can persuade larger no's to visit this winter
Steve

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/2010/08/boxing.html

Last edited:
Great views of the Merlin on Seaton Common this morning as it flew alongside the car 30-40m before landing on a fence post. It took off again when I pulled up to chase after a flock of Linnets but landed back on the fence close to the car.

Only other birds of note seen there were Wheatear x2.

An earlier visit to The Headland brought very little other than several Gannet, Guillemots and Oystercatchers.

The Black-nekced Grebe was on east Saltholme still.

Attachments

• IMG_3025ao.jpg
    IMG_3025ao.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3005ao.jpg
    IMG_3005ao.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3063ao.jpg
    IMG_3063ao.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3069ao.jpg
    IMG_3069ao.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2927bo.jpg
    IMG_2927bo.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 125
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back