• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rough-legged Buzzard? Latvia. (1 Viewer)

I'm thinking most if not all the sequences show Common Buzzard; I don't see any dark carpal patch or white tail base on any of them.

Common Buzzards hover more than field guides might suggest and I think it is an overrated feature for differentiating Common and Rough-legged Buzzards

Common Buzzards hover more than field guides might suggest and I think it is an overrated feature for differentiating Common and Rough-legged Buzzards

In many areas they hover most the time almost like kestrels, elsewhere they do rarely; I guess it depend of poles available or just local "habits" (see how cultural differences exist in chimps - Jane Goodall - why not in buzzards?). Loving in western Belgium, I had never seen a Common Buzzard hovering in 1988 when I visit Vosges (East France) first time, so when I saw them doing so daily, I tried to convince me it was another species... but they were not!

I fully agree that it is not a feature to differentiate those two species.

In many areas they hover most the time almost like kestrels, elsewhere they do rarely; I guess it depend of poles available or just local "habits" (see how cultural differences exist in chimps - Jane Goodall - why not in buzzards?). Loving in western Belgium, I had never seen a Common Buzzard hovering in 1988 when I visit Vosges (East France) first time, so when I saw them doing so daily, I tried to convince me it was another species... but they were not!
I fully agree that it is not a feature to differentiate those two species.[/QUOTE]

I never said it was a diagnostic feature and would never make an ID based on this alone, this is what I said 'Hovering a lot which is good for RlB but hard to see any plumage details. I use it as an indicator only, to make me look more closely.

On my local patch in Russia, we have both species on open, setaside land and I've literally never, seen CB hover there.

A

Last edited:
I fully agree that it is not a feature to differentiate those two species.[/QUOTE]

I never said it was a diagnostic feature and would never make an ID based on this alone, this is what I said 'Hovering a lot which is good for RlB but hard to see any plumage details. I use it as an indicator only, to make me look more closely.

On my local patch in Russia, we have both species on open, setaside land and I've literally never, seen CB hover there.

A

I understood that, but unless you know the local specificity by experience as you explain in your local patch, in an unknown place, I would not use it even as indicator. In some places, Common Buzzards do hover most of the time. The local differences are amazing. I've never seen that in years of birding in Hainaut, Belgium, but I see it in Eastern Belgium at every visit... this is 150km apart, no more.

Thanks guys! I'm convinced.

The Collins bird guide doesn't map common buzzard in the Baltic states in winter, and combined with the frequent hovering + them being at such a large distance that it was hard to see any plumage details led me astray.

The bird on the bottom-right photo at least does appear to have a white tail though while also having entirely brown upper wings. Collins says that common buzzards that have a white tail base should also have white on the upperparts of the wing, or am I understanding that wrong?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back