• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

invasion year for waxwings? (1 Viewer)

Espen

anyone think there will be another waxwing invasion year?B :)
looks good so far

Western isles: 570
Highland: 70
Aberdeenshire: 500
Aberdeenshire: 150
Aberdeenshire: 60
Forth: 300
Perth+kinross: 200
Lothian: 120
Lothian: 45
Clyde: 54
Cumbria: 25
Lancashire+North Merseyside: 40
Norfolk: 20
Norfolk: 37
Gwynedd: 30

anyone think there will be another waxwing invasion year?B :)
looks good so far

Western isles: 570
Highland: 70
Aberdeenshire: 500
Aberdeenshire: 150
Aberdeenshire: 60
Forth: 300
Perth+kinross: 200
Lothian: 120
Lothian: 45
Clyde: 54
Cumbria: 25
Lancashire+North Merseyside: 40
Norfolk: 20
Norfolk: 37
Gwynedd: 30

Certainly seem to be arriving in numbers.Have been looking upwards for days down here but no luck so far!..what do your figures mean? where from? Were the 3 sets of figures for Aberdeenshire for example 3 days or 3 flocks? Any sent my way would be much appreciated regardless :t:

Jan

Birdguides seem to think its going to happen in this quote from this weeks rarity review: ''This winter's irruption of Waxwings into the UK........''.

I don't quite know how they came to that conclusion, but I hope thier right.

Certainly seem to be arriving in numbers.Have been looking upwards for days down here but no luck so far!..what do your figures mean? where from? Were the 3 sets of figures for Aberdeenshire for example 3 days or 3 flocks? Any sent my way would be much appreciated regardless :t:

Jan

rba newsmap, i am guessing the aberdeenshire birds are 3 flocks as there are 3 triangles on the map with different numbers, the ones i wrote on the start of the thread are just the very large numbers of them e.g. 570 on W isles!!!

rba newsmap, i am guessing the aberdeenshire birds are 3 flocks as there are 3 triangles on the map with different numbers, the ones i wrote on the start of the thread are just the very large numbers of them e.g. 570 on W isles!!!

Ok cool just wondered :) There have been lots of reports of small groups and singletons migrating over inland counties too so seems a great time to get out there and pick up a Waxwing on vizmig. Probably going to have my work cut out in Portslade but I'm ever looking and ever listening :t:

Jan

Birdguides seem to think its going to happen in this quote from this weeks rarity review: ''This winter's irruption of Waxwings into the UK........''.

I don't quite know how they came to that conclusion, but I hope thier right.

With over 2,500 being reported in Scotland alone today, I guess it's fair to say the invasion is well under way. The mind boggles at how many hundreds, if not thousands have gone undetected in Scotland so the above figure could be the tip of the iceberg. Numbers have been building up over the past 10 days or so and larger numbers are now being recorded south of the border.

Brian

To be clear, the invasion is happening and is enormous. There are several flocks of several hundred birds in and around Aberdeen, and those reported are only a fraction of what are here (I passed a flock of 50+ on a train through Carnoustie this afternoon). It's almost impossible to go for a walk without having at least a few flying over.

To be clear, the invasion is happening and is enormous. There are several flocks of several hundred birds in and around Aberdeen, and those reported are only a fraction of what are here (I passed a flock of 50+ on a train through Carnoustie this afternoon). It's almost impossible to go for a walk without having at least a few flying over.

Ditto, Inverness.

Some large flocks of 100+ and then lots of 10's and 20's. Walking around you see them coming over every few minutes. There must be thousands coming in.

Ive just got back from Burnley Crem and there must be 50 minimum, then there are a few at Barrow near Clitheroe. Always good to hear and see.

they've pretty much surrounded Shropshire, but none in the county yet... It'll be a while before they hit Cornwall though

A couple of days ago I was speculating with fellow birders as to the reason for this early invasion, and we concluded it could have been due to the failure of their food supply in Russia. Any other thoughts?

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back