• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Setups! (1 Viewer)

I have one and yes it does. I have the Orion 80ED, although its a pity you're so far away as i'm selling mine

Its a fixed telescopic arm, and i thought it was a damped telescope arm, like the ones that support say, an SUV tailgate. You have to lock it off when you have your subject, which is really not a lot of good for birding, unless your birds remain static long enough for you to achieve all thats necessary.

I suppose some subjects are static and that would be ok. I like to keep my pan and tilt head unlocked in both pan and tilt directions, ( but tight enough not to flop around ) just in case i get a surprise bird emerge and take off, which means i'm free to move in a flash. If the the head or in this case, the 359 arm were locked down, you have to unlock it to move with your moving target. Its only one lock to undo, so maybe i'm being a tad fussy.

Perhaps i should try harder and put it through its paces a bit more ;)

Ah..

Right.

Ok, i got thoroughly mixed up B :) Damn Manfrotto and their rediculously close numbers for things that are nothing like each other.

I know what you mean now, and yes, i've had one of those too, and its the best bang for buck you can buy if you're looking for a wimberly style big lens support.

I used one for quite a while, and they really work. You wont regret buying one - especially when you see the price of a Wimberley

That's more like it i didn't think we were on the same page. So it will indeed work with the 80ED scope right?

I'm hoping the Manfrotto 393 will go onto a Manfrotto 3021 tripod that i have.

yep, works great. Also, it'll mount on many tripods. I cant remember if its 1/4"or 3/8ths, but its just a standard tripod mount, like any ball head or panhead

here's mine a couple of years back - with SW 80ED

Attachments

• Focuser 2.jpg
    Focuser 2.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Cam Gear 2.jpg
    Cam Gear 2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 321
Ok i remember the one pic on the left it didn't even dawn on me it was on a Manfrotto 393.

I just put in my order for one on amazon, i can't wait to get this. How is it when you tilt the scope way up does it stay in the position you want with the weight of the camera and adapters on it? I have that problem of it not staying very well with my Manfrotto 3047 head. But i suppose that's the point of this 393 head it can take the weight.

here's mine a couple of years back - with SW 80ED

How did you manage to focus on things high up? Doesn't the focusing knobs hit the gimbal, when lowering the camera? I found it to be so when I tried to make a DIY gimbal like this manfrotto design.

The scope will stay in position within reason. Remember, these 393's are not built for a scope with a focuser that can rack in and out, which keeps changing the balance point.

Mount the scope on the 393, mount camera & all your ext tubes, to the scope, then racjk the focuser to half way between fully in and out.

That way, you got optimum balance, but you can adjust the resitance a little harder due to the nature of this ever changing balance point.

Cango..I didnt have that problem on mine. The focuser knob never touched the gimbal. Besides , you can tilt a lens or scope only so far, whether it be on a gimbal or whatever. At some point, you wont be able to look through the viewfinder due to the angle ;)

It'll do the necessary angles whether tilting up or down within reason, just like any regular head.

Personally, i've tried ballheads, and for birding and big lenses, they dont really cut it. Others may have a different take, but for me its either a good pan & tilt head, or the gimbal.

In fact, i may grab myself another 393 in the future, as i really liiked mine. Its extra weight over a pan & tilt head, but you cant have everything

I just acquired a Pen E-P2, and the initial results are quite promising. I've posted a couple of images on the "Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery!" thread. The 2x crop factor is intriguing.

I've recently posted a couple of shots in the "Gallery" thread using an 80ED with a Nikon V1 (yes, I moved on from the Pen E-P2), and have been asked for a comparison between the V1 and a crop DSLR. Not wanting to clutter up that thread which is really supposed to be for photos, as Cango gently reminded us ;), I'll try to answer here.

The V1 has a 2.7 crop factor compared with a FF camera, or about 1.8 compared with an APS-C sensor (and 1.35 compared with an m43 sensor). Obviously the smaller sensor carries penalties in terms of noise and dynamic range. I was surprised that for bird photography in decent light, these penalties are not too serious. Nikon has done a very good job of optimizing the sensor. The advantage is, of course, an big increase in range with no increase in f-stop, unlike using a TC or telenegative. The smaller pixels will however reveal any shortcomings in the lens - but since astro telescope optics are very good, this is not really a problem for us. I'm very happy with the results when scaled to 1200 - 2000 pixels for the screen. I haven't tried any prints, but I'd guess up to 13x9 inches would be possible.

Noise levels are very good at ISO 200 - 400, acceptable at 800, and become objectionable at 1600 (IMHO). About 1 or maybe 2 stops less than the D90, but you get at least some of that back by the lower f-number (i.e., no TC or telenegative). Annoyingly, Nikon hasn't given us half or 1/3 stop steps in ISO.

The V1 also scores well on ease of use. The EVF is very good, and Nikon has kindly provided a big and very accurate "in focus" dot on the screen. Manual focusing is very much easier than with the D90. I haven't found myself missing focus much. The ability to use the electronic shutter also is good because it reduces noise and vibration.

Ergonomically, the camera is easy and intuitive (at least to a Nikon owner). Direct controls (buttons and dials) are more limited than on a DSLR, but the menu system is simple and clear.

Overall, I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I do think this camera is dynamite for birders - especially (though not relevant to this forum) because of its ability to use Nikon AF-S lenses with almost full functionality using the FT-1 adapter.

Last edited:
I have the new Pentax K-01 on order and will test it with my new CT152 scope (900mm F5.9 ). Here is a photo of my Pentax K-7 in it's large 3" dual speed focuser and with 21mm Ethos 100° AFOV eyepiece and 2" WO correct image prism diagonal.

Attachments

• 6853367035_7c9aa6ab7e_b.jpg
    6853367035_7c9aa6ab7e_b.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 351
  • 6854092823_ec260c4db5_z.jpg
    6854092823_ec260c4db5_z.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 371
I have the new Pentax K-01 on order and will test it with my new CT152 scope (900mm F5.9 ). Here is a photo of my Pentax K-7 in it's large 3" dual speed focuser and with 21mm Ethos 100° AFOV eyepiece and 2" WO correct image prism diagonal.

What a killer. wow.... What's the weight like with just the scope and camera with the mounting?

Nice big scope, I guess it's a basic achromat, not ED glass or anything. What's the CA like in daytime use?

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back