• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Smallest High Quality Videoscoping System (1 Viewer)

Muratfaik

Hi,

I would like to introduce one of the worlds smallest high quality videoscoping system: Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera+Contax 90mm 2.8 Lens+Leica Monovid Monocular.

Here is the result:

https://vimeo.com/77848137

I also tested this setup with Panasonic 45-175mm lens as BMPCC+Panasonic 45-175mm Lens+Leica Monovid Monocular.

And the result is here:

https://vimeo.com/77854602

The idea is to establish a setup, that is finding lightest and most practical videoscoping system without sacrificing image quality. First I started to compare high quality spotting scopes with several digital cameras/camcorders. Then I noticed that any high quality 35mm lens with an adapter and a camera/camcorder, gives better quality images than well known scopes. And I started to use such systems. And then I asked what percentage of front glass and eyepiece of a lens or scope is involved when videoscoping. In other words I tried to figure, how much unnecessary weight am I carrying when I am using my videoscoping setup? After I did some calculations I planned a setup at the limits of optics and electronics. Then I started to find and collect the best and optimum models that serves my purpose.

The BMPCC is one of the smallest and highest quality digital cinematic camera which takes uncompressed raw video files at 13 stop dynamic range. It also has almost 3x crop factor which is a very good advantage for bird imaging. Contax G lenses are some of the best rangefinder lenses ever produced. And Leica Monovid is an optical jewel according to many people (I asked Leica to produce a high quality monocular in 97's and someone replied my mail and asked my support to bring the idea to the board so that they can get a permission to produce such a monocular-can we say patience is a virtue?). Assembling such high quality pieces, brings high expectations. The ungraded results were satisfactory for me. But there are some drawbacks: editing such huge files needs significant amount of time and storage. For a good file optimization you need to edit the files in professional softwares and it means again time.

But against all of these drawbacks I am very happy to use such a high quality and light videoscoping setup.

Murat F. Özçelik

P. S.: Another BMPCC test with several lenses:

https://vimeo.com/76855423

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back