• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck, Spain (1 Viewer)

Pancho85

Hi all,

could you tell me which duck is this one? It was with a group of mallards, but the bill was completely blue-grey. Can it be a mallard as well?

Thanks.

6e748562-8fe7-40ae-812c-0cbc13f9044c.jpg

It is a mallard. bluegrey is possible, though not that common, in this species.

Due to past hybridisation with Pintail - my local park had an escaped pinioned Pintail which produced one F1 hybrid with Mallard, and this then subsequently several generations of otherwise typical Mallards except for blue-grey bills.

not necessarily due to hybrididsation with pintail , I think. certainly that can lead to that outcome as you describe (also hybridisation with Pacific black duck in NZ leads to some mallardlike bluebilled birds among avariety of others)

But there are domestic breeds that have a bluegrey bill also
http://www.chickensforbackyards.com/images/Khaki Campbell 3.jpg

and I suspect it is therefore also in the variability of mallard to throw up a bird with bluegrey bill.
(I seem to remember the yellow in the male mallard bill is just due to carotenoids being deposited there and otherwise the bill would be bluegrey? if that´s the case also for the orange of female birds, one mutation may be enough?)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back