• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Never buy an Olympus Camera (1 Viewer)

All the reviews for this camera have been pretty good. However note the following:

1) For a new camera, 2MP is a bit on the low side
2) Does not accomodate screw on lenses/filters etc.
3) Basically a point and shoot camera.

On the good side, I'm not aware of ANY camera with a better quality zoom lens. Also it has OIS.

You should check Steve's Digicams for his comprehensive review.

If you want to do digiscoping, it will likely be difficult with this camera due to the large lens.

In summary, I think this is an excellent all purpose "fun" camera.

My dream camera however would be an Olympus E-100RS but with 3MP CCD instead of 1.5MP. Unfortunately, this will probably never be made since Canon has stopped manufacturing the OIS 10x lens used in the C2100 and E-100RS models (thus one reason for no IS in later models).

Hope the feedback was useful.

rka

Olympus C2100 uz

I've had my C2100UZ for a couple of years and liked it, though I wish for a few more magapixels. I broke it once by dropping it and was satisfied with the service and repair by Olympus, even if it was pricey. Now I have a new problem. I used the camera a couple of days ago, no problem. Today I can't turn it on (yes, I tried fresh batteries). I left power on so the camera had gone into sleep mode. It won't wake up. There were no precurser symptoms. It is just dead so far as I can tell. Anyone had this problem? Any obvious solution?

Sometimes taking the batteries out and leaving them out for 24 hours will solve this problem. Everything will be reset but it is the lesser of two evils.

olympus cams

I hae bought an olympus c750uz and have nothing but pleasure from it, maybe you just got a bad deal ..... im sure you are in the minority!!

Update on my "dead" C2100uz.

I sent it in for repair as well as purchased a new Nikon 5700. The problem was apparently due to my dropping the camera. That happened several months prior to its mysterious shutdown. But I do remember dropping it and marveling that no apparent damage had been done.

The Nikon has made me appreciate the C2100 for what it is and can do. Now I have two cameras, one I'm still learning to use well, and another that does some things very well and serves me accordingly. I have no complaints about the Olympus or their service.

I have had my C2100 uz for three years now. I have had no problems at all with the camera even though I use it much and not too carefully! I only wished it had more MP's!!!

Gaukur said:
I have had my C2100 uz for three years now. I have had no problems at all with the camera even though I use it much and not too carefully! I only wished it had more MP's!!!

My C700 is 2.5yrs and going well.
I've had no problems with it and it continues to delight me.
I use it many times each week.
Digital Camera users should realize that we are not going to get anything like the decades we are used to out of the best 35mm cameras. Everything in digital cameras is micro and sub-micro. It doesn't take much of a knock to throw some critical element out of whack.
When mine goes down eventually, I'll certainly buy another Olympus.

On another matter....I have also listed my bird photos and paintings with:
www.bigbadja.bigbadja.photoshare.co.nz/?SRC=PHP

Regards
Robert

Robert makes good points. My C2100 is wonderful given its limited megapixels. It's primary virtue is the image stabilization. I get rock solid images at 10x zoom without a tripod. My repair problems were due dropping the camera and the service I received was more than acceptable, though the repairs were pricey. My Nikon 5700 has many advantages and greater versitility, but I miss the simplicity of the Olympus.

C-2100 replacement?

I am new here, and just started reading posts, sounds like a great forum and friendly people. I just went through the C-2100 SDS, I've had my camera 3 years and love it, but can't see spending $300+ to repair it. I am looking for a good replacement. From what I've read the Dimage Z1 seems very similar. I am curious what others think of it (I know I need to do more searching here), and also if the B300 can be adapted to it.

I'll do more searching and reading on this forum, but I thought I'd get this post in, because I need a camera before Christmas! Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi TConnors,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I still have the C2100UZ which is still working well after two years of quite hard use. I have been wondering myself what to do when it packs in. I quite like the Minolta Dimage Z1 myself as it looks very well specified and easy to use. One or two members on here are using it to good effect. It's a little more basic to use than the C2100, but if it gives good results then I'm all for it. My only complaint that for my hands it's a little on the small side. I think it does take additional lenses but I never got as far as to whether it will take the B300.

A second alternative is the new Panasonic DMC-FZ10 which has many of the C2100 features plus a 12x Image Stabilised optical zoom and more MP's. It is reckoned to take the B300 too. I believe it's available in the USA but not yet released over here.

If you check out this forum you'll be able to read the comments so far Cameras

Last edited:
reply......

mmmmmmm...... its hard to give you advice as a choice of camera is I find a personal one. What one person might find great for their needs might not be he best for someone else. I use my camera extensivley for nature work and it suits me fine, before you decide have a look at the olympus homepage and have a look at the C750UZ, and if possible see if you can try one, im sure you will be delighted.

Kim, there are a number of options opened to you in regards the camera. As any Trading Standard Officer will tell you the shop that you bought it from are responsible for the first year, this is in the U.K of course. If you are unhappy with your treatment call into your nearest Standards Office and they will tell you what your rights are. Also there is a rule that only allows the company to repair the item so many times, maybe twice, you would need to check that, then they have to replace the goods. This inside your 12 months warranty.

Although I don't use it much these days I have a 700UZ which served me well and taught me a great deal, being a camera that has full manual options.
The only thing that really annoyed me about it is that when you take a shot with a light background you get purple outlines to everything, I believe that this is inherant in the 730 and 735.
Although I was told it would not work I used a 2x converter with it and it produced some good results, if you want details of this let me know.

Steve

Ian, I am curious. Would you not go for the 750 and if not, why? I saw the specs on the Panasonic and must admit I was impressed. I ask this because I have seldom used my oly since I took to digiscoping and wonder if the money would be better spent towards a higher end scope. Or do you still use the Oly as much as the digiscoping?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back