• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Yosemite 8x30 (1 Viewer)

I did receive them but did not get home to try them out until around 4:30 pm. The temps were hovering in the high teens and fogging of the eyepieces was a major issue.

I did not experience anything unexpected. Optical differences between the 6x and 8x include:

- noticeably larger apparent field of view in the 8x
- less depth of field and a smaller exit pupil both promoting a slightly less relaxed image in the 8x
- just a slightly dimmer image in the 8x
- percentage of image with edge distortion seems about equal between both bins
- I do seem to notice slightly more pin-cushion distortion with the 8x's when panning. I am not sure if this is the result of the increased magnification, increased apparent field of view or just a quality control issue with this particular unit.

To summarize, the 6x and 8x are physically identical. All of the differences you would expect to find between a pair of 6x and a pair of 8x binoculars is here with these two bins. Those are all of my early impressions at this point. I would like to get my hands on a pair of 8x36 Monarchs to see how the two compare side by side. I have a general impression that the Yosemites are going to offer an image with more clarity because of the porro prism design but that should come as no surprise to any of you. A comparison of edge distortion between the two bins would also interest me further.

My conclusion would be that the 8x30s should be just as popular, if not more so because the 8x magnification is more sought after, as the 6x30 Yosemites.

I checked out indoor tests with my 8x32 roofs. I looked at a bookcase across the room. The edge third or so is clearly out of focus. Then I looked at the shelf with my 10x42 roofs, Monarch. The field is clear closer to the edge. But the number of books clearly in focus on the shelf was exactly the same. With the 8x32 I would spot more birds on the periphery, thus "get on the bird" faster.

I just need those 9x32s to solve all my problems.

i looked at the Celestron Ultima DX 8x32 online. it looks promising, as it is WP, Bak-4, FMC, over 400 FOV...but 30 ounces!? i probably wouldnt be able to hold them up for more than 30 seconds at a time! i dont know if Academy will carry them....maybe the Outdoor World in Fort Worth? If the image was worth it, i might consider them....

of course it would be a rock solid binoc, esp. in the car it wouldnt move around as much....

:brains:

Last edited:
Why 6x first? I'll tell you...

Alexis Powell said:
Hmmm.....I'm not as cynical about the motivations for the 6x configuration of the Yosemite--it makes more sense to me that it was a result of deliberate design winning out over what conventional wisdom would suggest is most salable, though the 6x configuration was also essential for distinguishing the Yosemite from what was once a more common breed (the 8x30 porro), thus allowing for its niche product status and advertising. Nothing else about the Yosemite was/is really all that special (similar spec 8x past/present porros from Nikon, Celestron, Swift had/have similar minimum IPD). I'd have been much more impressed with the Yosemite as a kids' bino if it had a 6 foot (or better) close focus--kids like to look a nearby objects as much or more so than distant ones.
I wonder now what the fate of the 6x Yosemite will be...I predict their virtues are not recognized by the vast majority of buyers, that sales plummet (buyers won't be able to resist the 8x), and that they are discontinued within a year or two.
--AP

Sorry to jump in so abruptly. I just thought I might be able to help with a few open questions I read here.

I appreciate the ascription of such savvy marketing foresight to the creation of the 6x30mm. Actually, it was created primarily out of love and an idealistic father's hope for the future. I did it for my five year old daughter. Along with a long time friend and collegue (father of a five year old son) we began it as a vest pocket project - we did it primarily out of a simple desire to make a good binocular that would allow everyone (not just adult men - the usual physical size parameter models for most traditional binocular designs) to use binoculars successfully and comfortably.

Yes, it was from what I learned during the Katmai project. I have long thought the Katmai 6x32mm one of my best projects until the Yosemite. The Yosemite breaks the barrier of IPD limitation hindering effective use - just ask most women; over 60% can't comfortably use standard traditionally sized binoculars.

The Yosemite 8x30mm was a natural follow on model. The popularity of the Yosemite 6x30mm has been remarkable. The 8x30mm is now released with high expectations that it too will be well received.

As to the 6x30mm falling away - I surely hope not. Too many people, especially beginners and young people, would be deprived of a great introduction to watching wildlife - be it birds or what have you - without the wide field and ease of use offered by the 6x design.

Again, sorry for breaking in uninvited. I'm not trying to be a marketing wonk here or cramp the conversation. Actually, I'm not even involved in marketing any longer. The Yosemite was simply one of my best, and last projects. It is something of which I shall always be proud. I hope those of you who use them enjoy them. (Criticisms, if there are any, are actually much better received than you might expect.)

Cheers,
John

John, thanks, and come back often. Again was not trying to be cynical about the 6x first but I have a marketing background and I see things a little differently when I look at ads. Your story is much better!

Dear John from Scappoose,
No need for apologies--quite to the contrary, it's really a thrill to have this opportunity to hear from/communicate with a binocular creator on this forum! I'm sure you can tell from my previous post that I am not being critical of the Yosemite so much as being wistful that a binocular with its specs should be viewed as a novelty, particularly since there were similar sized binos with similar minimum IPD in the past. Even so, the Yosemite is a great binocular, and superior to its nearest extinct equivalents in a couple of important respects--it is lighter in weight and has much better eye-relief. As a binocular fanatic whose wife has an IPD of 54 mm and two kids (ages 3 and 6) I've made many posts on bird forum to try to generate interest in and awareness of the IPD design spec issue. Why is it that there are so VERY few reverse-porro compacts or roof-prism binos (other than pocket models) with a minimum IPD under 56 mm? A reverse porro like the Pentax 6.5x21 would be an awesome kids bino (super close and easy focus, nice weight and size in the hand) if only it had a smaller minimum IPD. And when it comes to roof-prisms, it drives me crazy that only Zeiss has begun to design binos with minimum IPD under 56 mm (the 32 mm FL have a 52 mm IPD and the 42 mm FL and Conquest models a 54 mm minimum IPD), but maybe the other manufacturers will follow suit--I hope so.
Again, thanks for bringing the 6x30 Yosemite into the world, and best wishes,
Alexis

Wow, I think it is great that this forum attracts some of the key folks behind binocular design and advertising from the various manufacturers.

John,

I would like to just say "thank you" for desiging the Yosemites. They are an excellent little bin. I enjoy using them and my 5 year old son loves them.

To everyone else,

After a few days of use with the 8x30s I think you folks are going to love them. They offer many of the same benefits of the 6x30s with that added bit of magnification. I really wish I could really relax with a pair of 8x30-32's in the same manner that I do with the larger glasses. In this regard I actually believe I prefer the 6x30 model. I am sure there will be consumers from here on out that look at the Yosemite line and instantly choose the 8x model because of the higher magnification but then you run into that with just about any binocular line. If Leupold were to come out with a 10x then I am sure many folks wouldn't even consider the 8x or the 6x versions. They do not know what they are missing out on.

I do not believe I have ever said this before but I think I have too many binoculars. Anyone interested in the 8x30s?

I am going to take back my last comment/question. Up until today my usage of the 8x30s was limited to in and about my home. I had been using them to look at the feeders in the backyard and at various objects within my home. As several folks were so keen to point out you really cannot evaluate a bin until you take it out into the field....and that I did today.

I birded with them for about an hour along one of the popular rail-trails nearby. My biggest concern, that of the perceived increased amount of distortion, did not prove to be an issue whatsoever out in the woods. To be honest, I think I actually prefer them to a majority of the other 8x30-32 mm binoculars I have owned. The image is fairly bright, and very crisp. The focus speed isn't as fast as many of the 8x32 roofs currently on the market which is actually a big plus for me. I find several of the 8x32 roofs too fast in their focusing. The Yosemites not only have just the right amount of focusing tension but also the correct speed as well.

Before some of you invest in $300-$400 8x32 roofs I would highly suggest trying the Yosemite 8x30s first. These bins are entirely comparable to the 8x32 Pentax SPs with slightly less color fringing and a bit more edge distortion.

Lastly, I still need to get rid of some bins so instead of selling the Yosemites I decided to sell one of my Meoptas, the 10x50, and my Leica Trinovid 7x42. The former has already found a new owner but the latter still needs a good home. ;)

Frank, I'd imagine it was cold outside. How did the Yosemites handle the change in temperature? Did they resist internal fogging? Was the focus wheel still smooth?

Edit: Could someone who owns one, either model will suffice, measure the diameter of the objective barrel? Just curious.

Last edited:
I think they need to invent a new format for these small end bins, a 7.5x30. To get the wide field and almost 8x power. ;)

7X 30 sounds good.....100$ sounds good..... fully multicoated sounds good.....7x 26 custom are terrific.......expensive too....... 6X 30...?.......8X 30........YOU REALLY NAILED IT WITH THE 7.5X 30..reversed?..Fully-multi,BAK4,7.7˚,16mm ER,.....100$!!!!!!!

Last edited:
FrankD,
So as positive as your review is, it doesn't sound like the Leupold 8x30 Yosemite is the replacement that the world needs (in my opinion!) for the late Nikon 8x30 EII. Every time I get out my EII, I find it optically better than I tend to remember. In direct comparison with the premium 8x32 roofs it is certainly their equal or superior optically. What I tend to forget is that the reportedly fuzzy outer edge of the view is not really very fuzzy, and the high quality portion of the image is comparable in size to that of the premium roofs. What I also forget is how much better the EII is than models such as the Nikon Action EX line (and similar models like the discontinued Bausch & Lomb 8x42 Discoverer porro), which have poor performance against the light (leading to much compromised contrast) and quite a smeary view outside the very center field. The EII often sold for under $250 new and must rank as one of the best binos for the $ ever made.
--AP

Frank, I'd imagine it was cold outside. How did the Yosemites handle the change in temperature? Did they resist internal fogging? Was the focus wheel still smooth?

It was in the mid 20's. I did not notice any difference in performance with the Yosemites under those conditions. The focus wheel might have stiffened up slightly but it was barely noticeable. There was no internal fogging and external fogging was no worse than any other bin I own. The cold weather may have actually been beneficial in one aspect. I have found that the center hinge on the Yosemite is a bit looser than I would prefer. It hasn't proved a problem at this point but I wonder if it will become too loose after extended use. The colder weather stiffened it up to the level that I felt comfortable with.

So as positive as your review is, it doesn't sound like the Leupold 8x30 Yosemite is the replacement that the world needs (in my opinion!) for the late Nikon 8x30 EII.

No, not quite. I would put the Yosemite 8x30 at the same performance level as the original Nikon E series. I have a 7x35 E to use in comparison with the 8x30 and 6x30 yosemites. Apparent brightness looks about equal between the 6x30 and 7x35. The 8x30 is just a bit dimmer, as expected. The size of the sweet spot is a bit better in the 7x35 E but it doesn't appear noticeably different in regular use. Sharpness, contrast, etc.. appear equal in all three bins.

Every time I get out my EII, I find it optically better than I tend to remember. In direct comparison with the premium 8x32 roofs it is certainly their equal or superior optically.

I would agree completely. The 8x30 EII I owned last year was the only bin I found significantly better optically than the Nikon Venturer 8x42 that I owned at the time. In difficult conditions it provided a brighter and slightly sharper image. The 8x30 EIIs image was probably my favorite of any binocular I have owned up to this point. I probably would not have sold it had it not been for the short eye relief, (I had to take the rubber eyecups off completely in order to get a sufficient level for my facial dimensions), and the ease with which it became misaligned.

Still, in reference to the Yosemite, considering we are talking about a $100 porro in today's market I think the 8x30 will be a welcome addition to some people's collection of bins or just a great starter bin for many folks. Let me take that back, I think it could be more than just a great starter bin provided the owner doesn't abuse it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back