• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New converter from Olympus? (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
A canadian friend, who just purchased the Oly 750, was told that Olympus will be coming out with a T3x. Anyone else hear any rumors of this?

Could it be the Tcon-300 that is being referred too ?

It retails for $480-$600 and is a bit of a beastie size wise - a bit like the EagleEye. I think it was designed for the E10/20 and has a 49mm thread. It would be nice if they are bringing out another new lens. I have been looking for a good deal on a Tcon17, to replace my B300, but a 3x may be a better option.

Tcon-300

Hi Ian. According to her, it has not been put on the market yet so I don't believe that is the one her camera guy was referring to. She has been dealing with this guy for a long time so she feels he knows what he is talking about. Why would you go to the Tcon17 when you have the B300. Are there better optics?

Hi KC,

I've had my B300 a good few years and it is showing distinct signs of wear and tear, particularly the front lens element where the coating carries a good few marks which I am sure causes flaring in bright conditions. It's still a good lens to use, but as I can see the difference in the results now and knowing the lens is such a good one, I'd like to replace it.

By the sounds of it the Tcon17 may carry better lens coatings and possibly better optics, though that's hard to imagine. As long as it is at least as good as the B300 it will do me. I will be seeing if I can find a filter for it though.

Just had a look at the link you posted Ian and that is a might on the heavy looking side. I'm figuring you would definitely have to use a tripod with that baby if there is no IS. I just might write Olympus and see if they answer my query. I'll let you know.

helenol said:
Am I right in saying the new Tcon300 is NOT suitable for the 750UZ? (I am planning on buying the tcon17)

I am sure you could use it with the proper adapter Helen. Just not which sure which adapter you would use. Certainly if you call Olympus they will be able to tell you.

I just spoke to Olympus. Apparantly the Tcon300 is used with the "E" series, not compatible with the C750. ah well....

Tcon17, superb

I have been delighted with the first results with the Tcon-17 and my beloved C700.
The images are very bright and razor sharp. On a pair of comparative images the Tcon-17 image appears brighter than the camera-only image.

Before delivery I was quite puzzled about how the Cla-4 adapter would attach to the camera. There is no thread in front of the camera lens, as is the usual case with 35mm cameras. I doubted that it would work with my C700....perhaps the later models were threaded, but mine didn't seem to be. I could find no assistance with querying this any where I looked.

All became apparant when the pieces finally arrived.
The Cla-4 adapter screws into the actual body of the camera over the lens barrel.
This also allows for fast attach-deattaching of the Tcon-17 as the adapter can be left permanently in position.

The Tcon-17 at full zoom brings the camera up to 650mm. In good sunlight shots can be made handheld, but for most birding purposes a tripod is necessary.
In Australia the Tcon-17 +Cla-4 adapter can be purchased for around AUD$230.
Regards
Robert

helenol said:
I just spoke to Olympus. Apparantly the Tcon300 is used with the "E" series, not compatible with the C750. ah well....

Believe me Helen, I think you will be most happy with the Tcon-17.

Coupled with the huge CCD in the C750 you will be able to blow and crop your shots to as much as you will ever need.....well mostly anyhow.

Regards
Robert

Robert, if the Tcon17 is even as good as the B300 they made I can understand your pleasure with it. Although I am hearing it might be a wee bit better. I also use the 700 but with the B300 and I don't think I have ever taken the CLA 4 off the camera since it was first put on. Have been tempted to take a look and try the 750 for the higher mega pixels but the 700 has given me some very decent results even with the 2.1 mps

I am very happy with my TCON17 on my C2100, even though Olympus claims they will not work together! It would be very interesting to get 3x teleconverter on C2100 for some/many situations. TCON300 is quite expensive according to the site Ian refers to. Hopefully someone is able to try this lens on the UZ and let us know the results.

Gaukur said:
I am very happy with my TCON17 on my C2100, even though Olympus claims they will not work together! It would be very interesting to get 3x teleconverter on C2100 for some/many situations. TCON300 is quite expensive according to the site Ian refers to. Hopefully someone is able to try this lens on the UZ and let us know the results.

As an ex Tcon300 owner (used with my E10) I can asure you it is not compatible with any other model. It relies on the special support bracket keeping the 62mm lenses in contact. I tried a hand held shot with an UZI using a step-up ring to match lens size, but it would take considerable engineering on the bracket and tripod mounts to achieve any reasonable success.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back