• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving picasa file to ext hard drive on iMac (1 Viewer)

fender

Hi all,

Been struggling to discover how i can move my raw files from Picasa to my external hard drive without any success!

I have an iMac os x mountain Lion and am completely new to mac as i've come over from a windows XP system.

Used to be a very easy process on the old XP...just had an option to "locate on disc" then opened the folder and selected "all" then "move folder" and was able to select my ext drive and click on "move files"

I now get the option to locate in "Finder"...but that's where it all comes to a standstill..as even though my ext drive is highlighted...when i click "choose" i just get an "error" pop-up!

Can someone please end my frustrations and help me get this done.

Regards,

Phil.

Hi all,

Been struggling to discover how i can move my raw files from Picasa to my external hard drive without any success!

I have an iMac os x mountain Lion and am completely new to mac as i've come over from a windows XP system.

Used to be a very easy process on the old XP...just had an option to "locate on disc" then opened the folder and selected "all" then "move folder" and was able to select my ext drive and click on "move files"

I now get the option to locate in "Finder"...but that's where it all comes to a standstill..as even though my ext drive is highlighted...when i click "choose" i just get an "error" pop-up!

Can someone please end my frustrations and help me get this done.

Regards,

Phil.

Maybe this will help you.
How to Move Files and Folders in Mountain Lion

And this might help you in understanding and using Mac OS X.

Mac Basics

Finder search will help you locate the files, but in OS X, you move files in one of two ways:

If you like a command line interface, and know a few Unix commands, you can use terminal.

Otherwise there's the `graphical' way. This is easiest if you have two finder windows open, one showing the source, and one showing the target folder. You can now highlight files and drag them to where they need to be, or you highlight them (or pick `select all' under the Edit tab), pick `copy x items' under the Edit tab, click on the target finder window, and select `paste items' under the Edit tab.

If you can't make these work it'd be a good idea to respond with a detailed description of what you're doing (accompanied by a screenshot if need be).

Andrea

Thank you both for your help...just got in after a long day-out,so will try your options tomorrow now....as feeling tired!

Will let you know how i get on.

Regards,

Phil.

Last edited:
Hi,

Just an update. Did try moving the files using both of your suggestions...but no joy!

However!..i believe that the problem is being caused because i had not formatted the ext drive(as i had approx 2,000 images on it)...and it had the windows format,so i have now managed to burn all these to dvd's(eleven!) and so i will be able format the drive and then hopefully!...it will work fine with my iMac..fingers crossed!

Phil.

Macs can read drives formatted for Windows, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I really don't understand what's going wrong for you, but I fear you might need somebody seeing your screen at critical moments to diagnose this.

I do hope that your chosen method will work for you.

Andrea

I'm going to guess the drive is formatted as NTFS, a Windows file system a Mac can read but won't write to. There are third party apps that will enable a Mac to write to NTFS formatted drives.
FUSE for OS X
NTFS for Mac® OS X 10
Tuxera NTFS for Mac

Mac OS X Lion and Mountain Lion both have built in support for NTFS but, Apple does not enable it by default.

Hi,

Ruffles...your guess was exactly right!...once i had formatted it on my iMac the problem was immediately solved! and i am now easily able to move my photo's to the external HD. :t:

Thanks again to you and Andrea for your help.

Phil.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back