• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding software for the Linux desktop (1 Viewer)

Having recently migrated my PC across to Linux, thought this thread would be a useful place to list birding/wildlife related software compatible with the linux platform.

Obviously web based applications such as eBird, Birdtrack, xeno cante, will not be a problem, but locally installed software may not run on linux (or may run on linux via wine). My experiences below are solely on Linux Mint, a derivative of Debian and Ubuntu.

BWPi – runs via Wine
Swiftbirder, listing software – runs via wine

Audacity, sound editing and analysis - available on linux
Wavesurfer, sound analysis – available on linux
Gimp photo editor – available on linux
Google earth - available on Linux

Following software didn’t work for me on Linux. There may be solutions available for these packages.

Thayer "Birds of North America" – Didn’t work on Linux, or Wine
BBi – didn’t work on Linux or Wine

Feel free to add your own experiences of compatible or non-compatible software in this thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back