• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kyocera sl400r settings (1 Viewer)

siberian

I took lots of photos of Waxwings, got home, and they were rubbish!.
I have attached 2 of them, plus one taken in my garden which is OK.
Question is, why are the waxwing ones `washed out`?.
I know nothing about photography (perhaps thats the answer!), so could do with a few tips on changing the settings in different situations.
I know its possible to improve these to some degree using software, but they will still be lacking in detail.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Brian.

Attachments

• Waxwings 1.jpg
    Waxwings 1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 351
  • Waxwings 2.jpg
    Waxwings 2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 355
  • Starling.jpg
    Starling.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 360
Hi Brian,
This is primarily a metering problem that arises when there's a bright background with a few darker bits in it (the birds) which it feels it can largely ignore to get the exposure correct for the majority of the image. Would I be correct in assuming that the waxwing photos are cropped from the full image, which does have more sky in the background?

A way around this is to use 'spot metering', that forces the camera to evaluate the light in one specific area of the scene... presuming the dark subject matter is large enough to cover this 'spot area'.

Alternatively, use the +/- exposure compensation (often called EV) in the menu... in this case you would increase the EV setting to +1.7 or more, but you need to check your results immediately to see if this is too much or not enough by using the camera's monitor.

Hope that helps a bit.

regards,
Andy

Certainly an exposure problem.

In these circumstances I tend to use spot metering as well but in addition with the subjects being so small I'd likely take the meter reading off the tree trunk and the reframe the shot and correct focus using the scope focus adjustment all the while keeping the shutter half depressed using a cable release bracket to lock the settings.

An alternative would be as Andy says to use the EV compensation which I do quite regularly but you do need to vary the settings trying to get away with the least EV compensation you can.

I don't think there is too much that can be done to correct these photos as for a start the file sizes are too small and the exposure reading a bit too far out. The Waxings1 photo has very marked horizontal bands but I don't know what has caused it. I have had similar vertical banding from a card fault but if these were all on the same card then that seems unlikely.

Attachments

• Waxwings 2a.jpg
    Waxwings 2a.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 289
  • Waxwings 1a.jpg
    Waxwings 1a.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 293
IanF said:
The Waxings1 photo has very marked horizontal bands but I don't know what has caused it. I have had similar vertical banding from a card fault but if these were all on the same card then that seems unlikely.

Could it be power failure?

Mark

Thanks everyone for your help.
The pictures were uncropped/untouched, just resized using Photoresizer to post.
I will try the exposure compensation as Andy said. Sounds logical
I noticed banding on a few of my photos, and it could be power failure.
The PP3 connector on my diy supply was a bit loose, which is why I have made a new version.
Will post pictures of it late tonight or tomorrow, for anyone who may be interested.
Had a Great Grey Shrike lined up perfectly this morning. I zoomed right in and focussed, then zoomed back as was advised in another post, set camera for 3fps, then pressed the off button by mistake. Then I done the same again!!.
Of course the Shrike flew off and I`d missed my chance. I`m still kicking myself.
Thanks again,
Brian

Do you have a battery in the camera when you use the external power supply? I find that if you don't then the screen flickers on and off after each picture.

Mark

M N Reeder said:
Do you have a battery in the camera when you use the external power supply? I find that if you don't then the screen flickers on and off after each picture.

Mark

Yes, I found that, so I leave it in. Also the red led flashes

Brian

siberian said:
Yes, I found that, so I leave it in. Also the red led flashes

Brian

The red light flashes on mine also. I think this might be down to the fact that the rechargable batteries equat to 4.8 volts rather than 5. It hasn't caused me any problems and at least 5 Bird Forum members have bought battery packs off me without any complaints (as far as I know). If anyone else wants one they are just £5 (inc postage within UK) please PM me for details, earlier piece of blatant advertising lost in the big system crash ;)

Mark

No complaints because there's nothing wrong Mark - thanks again for the battery pack :t:

In fact your battery pack is tied in first place as the best value digiscoping accessory I ever bought (equal first with a £4.99 lightweight fishing stool - you'd be amazed how useful that is).

Brian - if it's any compensation, my Waxwing photos went exactly the same way as yours. After six months of digiscoping practice I'm still learning something new every time I go out - and every time I read one of Andy's posts.

hornet said:
No complaints because there's nothing wrong Mark - thanks again for the battery pack :t:

In fact your battery pack is tied in first place as the best value digiscoping accessory I ever bought (equal first with a £4.99 lightweight fishing stool - you'd be amazed how useful that is).

Brian - if it's any compensation, my Waxwing photos went exactly the same way as yours. After six months of digiscoping practice I'm still learning something new every time I go out - and every time I read one of Andy's posts.

Cheers that's good to know :t:

Mark

The modified PSU I made is just using a different battery holder, with a mobile phone DC socket and a USB socket wired in parallel to give more charging options.
The battery holder is an old Wotan flashgun with the electronics removed. Any holder will do, so long as it takes 4 AA arranged in series. The mobile phone DC socket is from a broken mobile(Nokia), which has a +positive inner pin. The USB socket was cut from an old lead, pin 1 is +pos, pin 4 is -neg.
USB works on 5v from your PC, and my mobile charger is 5v @500mA. Therefore it would take about 5 hours (using 2300mA batteries) to fully recharge the batteries, depending on state of discharge.
The disadvantage of using a non-dedicated charger is there is no sensor to gauge state of discharge, and therefore regulate rate of charge, or cut-out when fully charged. Basically you will have to guess when they are fully charged, and not leave them on too long, which would result in reduced life of the batteries.
However, having more charging options is ( to me ) worth it.
Brian.

Attachments

• PSU 1.jpg
    PSU 1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 267
  • PSU 2.jpg
    PSU 2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 223
  • PSU 4.jpg
    PSU 4.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 239
siberian said:
I took lots of photos of Waxwings, got home, and they were rubbish!.
I have attached 2 of them, plus one taken in my garden which is OK.
Question is, why are the waxwing ones `washed out`?.
I know nothing about photography (perhaps thats the answer!), so could do with a few tips on changing the settings in different situations.
I know its possible to improve these to some degree using software, but they will still be lacking in detail.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Brian.

Just as an example, these two of my very first attemps outdoors were taken against the same sky within a few minutes of each other. The Redwing was taken with the exposure compensation set to +1.7. As you can see, it makes all the difference.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Attachments

• Redwing2.jpg
    Redwing2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 355
  • woodie.jpg
    woodie.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 316
Here's some of my 1st efforts with the SL400r. The Knot uses settings 'out of the box', and the Long Tailed Duck has spot metering, as I read the earlier part of this tread before going out. All taken with the camera hand held.

Attachments

• ltd3.jpg
    ltd3.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 301
  • ltd4.jpg
    ltd4.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 303
  • knot.jpg
    knot.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 314
The above photos are certainly much better than my ones.
When I get a chance to take some more, I`ll send them in, with and without
spot metering and +1.7 EV.
I feel alot happier now about the camera. The truth really, is that I should
read up on photography, rather then expect the camera to to work it all out.
Thanks for showing me your results,
Brian.

Sorry to seem like i`m butting in here but wouldn`t one of those small hand held meters that measure voltage(plus other things)be of use for checking the charge state of the batteries?

Cheers Steve.

stevo said:
Sorry to seem like i`m butting in here but wouldn`t one of those small hand held meters that measure voltage(plus other things)be of use for checking the charge state of the batteries?

Cheers Steve.

You could use a multimeter to check the voltage, as it drops to 0.8v per cell when discharged, but this needs to be done under load ( ie, connect a small bulb). Putting a multimeter across an unloaded cell will read 1.2v.
What I was trying to say was an `off the shelf` charger will vary the charging rate from 5% to 100% of C ( trickle to fast ) and cut off when fully charged, or reduce to a trickle, to prevent the cell gassing and becoming hot.
Therefore I have to assume, (using my charger),
(a) that they are fully discharged
(b)and estimate the time required to fully recharge depending on the charging current and capacity of the batteries.
In my case, the batteries are 2300mA ( total capacity, called `C`), and the charging current is 500mA (20% of C). So that gives me a charge time of 4-5 hrs max, after which they must be swiched off.
Hope I have explained this a bit better.

Brian.

Kyocera SL400R Lines on Pic

M N Reeder said:

Mark
I had problems with lines across some pics, when on the same card others were fine.My solution was to send the card back as being Faulty ,the replacement has been o.k.
The Power Pack I obtained from Mark Reeder as been ace lasting for hours.thanks alot Mark. p.s Have you tried the movie mode on the sl400r yet
its so easy to use and great for a record of scarcer birds.
Ray.

I will be making another batch of my popular powerpacks this weekend, I have 3 on Ebay at £7.50 though Bird Forum members can still get them at £5. I also have a new batch of cable release adaptors also £5.

Mark

I have 3 on Ebay at £7.50

I wondered if they were yours Mark!.
Was thinking of flogging 3 I have spare on Ebay, but will past them on to my birding mates.
You may be interested in this battery box, which comes with or without on/off switch @ 44p each, product code 18-2909.

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk

Only problem is postage @ £3.45 (+VAT) on orders under £25. Would be worth it if you intend to make quite a few.

Brian.

siberian said:
I have 3 on Ebay at £7.50

I wondered if they were yours Mark!.
Was thinking of flogging 3 I have spare on Ebay, but will past them on to my birding mates.
You may be interested in this battery box, which comes with or without on/off switch @ 44p each, product code 18-2909.

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk

Only problem is postage @ £3.45 (+VAT) on orders under £25. Would be worth it if you intend to make quite a few.

Brian.

They were on Ebay, I've had to take them off as the supplier where I get my plugs from has run out. However I've managed to get the last 10 from Maplins so will have some more next week
It seems that the poor old Kyocera owners problems could get worse (after Kyocera announced that they are not making cameras anymore) as according to my supplier (Bardwells) the DC plugs are like rocking horse manure. Let's hope Maplins keep stocking them.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back