• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skulky grey bird, Florida (1 Viewer)

Tiraya

San Diego CA
United Kingdom
While traversing some pinewood savannah earlier today I flushed a little grey bird from a bush about 2 feet away. This bird barely flew any distance before landing in cover again, and it was completely silent. Despite it being so close when I flushed it I couldn't even hear wing beats.

I managed to kick up this bird only two more times before I lost it. Each time it would just pick up from cover, flit a short distance, and land in cover again. The behaviour seems akin to some of the more skulky sparrows. Given the habitat, and that this bird was distinctly grey, I suppose Bachman's sparrow is the only possibility?

My family also reported seeing a grey bird exhibiting identical behaviour elsewhere at the site, so it seems not to be a one-off bird.

Does this sound like Bachman's sparrow to anyone else? Or is there another skulky grey bird that is similar? I would have expected to see some brown if it was Bachman's, but I do see some greyish examples of the species online.

I attach a spontaneous camera click on the second flush. I doubt it is of any use but it confirms it was grey. Heavily cropped, but all my photos come out crap anyway so details not needed ;)

Attachments

• erm.JPG
    erm.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 167
Actually in America, it's a skulky GRAY bird. ;)

That would explain why I can't work out what it is!

Surely someone here has enough experience with Bachman's (i.e. anything but a singing bird) to comment, if not advise what other small grey skulky birds might fit the description?

You can kick up a number of species in long leaf pine grasslands that pop up and quickly dive back into cover. Bachman's Sparrow is a good possibilitye. Most similar to Bachman's would be Swamp Sparrow. Grasshopper and Henslows sparrows are usually more brightly colored on the back. House and Sedge Wrens are smaller and noticeably short-tailed. I can't tell much from that photo.

Andy

You can kick up a number of species in long leaf pine grasslands that pop up and quickly dive back into cover. Bachman's Sparrow is a good possibilitye. Most similar to Bachman's would be Swamp Sparrow. Grasshopper and Henslows sparrows are usually more brightly colored on the back. House and Sedge Wrens are smaller and noticeably short-tailed. I can't tell much from that photo.

Andy

Andy,
I think that covers the options quite well.

My thoughts on these birds:

Sparrows: I'm quite sure it wasn't either of these spp. These birds are all very brown in colour and I've seen swamp recently albeit briefly. The brown colour was quite clear even in the shadows.

Wrens: wrong colour as well. I find both wrens are distinctly brownish (and short tailed as you mention) even in the most brief of views.

All the photo was meant to do was to show the colour rather than markings. I think we can exclude at least most of the above birds from what little the photo shows.

All in all an interesting topic, my main concern is that it was too grey for Bachman's but it seems they can be quite grey for instance:

http://www.birdspix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Bachmans-Sparrow-8894-cr.jpg

and

http://stlucieaudubon.org/images/BirdPhotos/BachmansSparrow.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back