• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Rumped Warbler (1 Viewer)

mrmanning

Southern Ontario Birder
Today I saw a pair of warblers. I ID'd them as Yellow Rumped warblers because of the blatant bright yellow spot on their rear ends or "rump".
The warblers were greyish with white and even some back with a bit of yellow on the belly as well. I see pictures on the net that makes this good for Yellow Rumped........

But their song doesn't match what Ive found online, so to play devil's advocate, does anyone else know of other warblers with obvious yellow patches on their behinds?

Thank you

Len

Yellow-rumped songs can be a good bit varied. If you saw the yellow spots on the flanks (in contrast with belly), that is diagnostic amongst Dendroica warblers.

Yellow-rumped songs can be a good bit varied. If you saw the yellow spots on the flanks (in contrast with belly), that is diagnostic amongst Dendroica warblers.

Yes, the one I heard (and saw) the other day was much more robust in song than I was expecting. In fact, even though I was expecting to find yellow-rumped that day, I did not think it was one when I first heard it. Then I saw it and there was no question.

Scott

Thank you both!

Like I said I was almost 100% sure it was yellow rumped, but I just wanted confirmation.

In any event, it is a new bird for me! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back