• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Painted' Lammergeier - reintroduction scheme? (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
I took this picture of a young Lammergeier last week nr Argeles Gazost in France.

The question has been raised whether the white taches in the wings are natural or painted - some release scheme. The bird was with two adults so I had assumed nothing out of the ordinary.

Does anyone have any contact details for schemes where birds could have been 'panted' on the nest? I found something dating back to 2011 but this is a first year...

Attachments

• juv Lammy.JPG
    juv Lammy.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 96
I can't help with the scheme details I'm afraid, but I'm sure these are painted and that the bird is likely ringed and possibly even satellite-tagged as well. I saw a Black vulture with similar markings on the other side of the Pyrenees (near Tremp). See photo

You might try this one
http://www.cr-birding.org/node/2236

Mick

Attachments

• Apr17 -335SP.jpg
    Apr17 -335SP.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 90
I think the feathers are actually bleached rather than painted.

Jon,
I know the feathers on the BV were painted as I talked to one of the scheme participants. They do not paint all the way to the tip as you can see, and both upper and underside - and mark different pairs of secondaries in different sequences to allow ID I understand, so it might be possible to ID the Lammer from this photo alone. Clearly only works until they moult! If the original photo is high enough res you might check if the colour goes to the tip or not. It looks not to, but the image is too low res to be certain.

Mick

Last edited:
I think the feathers are actually bleached rather than painted.

Sorry Jon I now get the point (duh). You weren't questioning that they were a marking device, just how it was done...... and I agree .... the scheme guy did say they just use bleach them, although not how.

Sorry Jon I now get the point (duh). You weren't questioning that they were a marking device, just how it was done...... and I agree .... the scheme guy did say they just use bleach them, although not how.

No worries! I once saw a Black Vulture from my house in SW Spain with some bleached primaries, and made notes and sent them off to SEO, but never got a reply!

Yes the feathers will be moulted of course, but it just may be useful in the first year (or two) to get the odd sighting - just like on this occasion.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back