• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To strap, or not to strap....... (1 Viewer)

I used to use neoprene strap for heavy binoculars, but I have switched to Rick Young Outdoors (RYO) harness. I also use it for lighter binoculars as well. I bought some extra clip on connectors so I can quickly and easily move harness from one binocular to another. I always keep one harness on a binocular in my car and the other harness on whichever binocular I plan to use for a given outing.

The RYO harness is comfortable, and the binoculars don't bounce or swing around--they are always right there to quickly get on target.

Alan

Harnesses are indeed more comfortable if one is carrying only one binocular, but they don't play nice with backpacks or other optics gear. I gave up on them because of that, bandoleer style straps are almost as good and easier to deal with.

Harnesses are indeed more comfortable if one is carrying only one binocular, but they don't play nice with backpacks or other optics gear. I gave up on them because of that, bandoleer style straps are almost as good and easier to deal with.

I tend to only carry a light (<5 lb loaded) day/hydration pack which I wear "over" the harness and that seems to work fine. I thread the strenum strap under the forward harness straps when I bother with the sternum strap, but the pack comes on and off pretty quickly.

I do agree that if you start adding additional straps the harness becomes difficult to use as I discovered trying to carry one binocular on a harness and another on a bandolier strap.

Alan

OK, this is going to sound like overkill. I use 3 Zecti wrist straps (one attached under the head of my tripod, one to a bandolier beneath my coat, one round my wrist). I then clip and unclip the bins to them depending on requirements.
Pro's -I have the bins to hand without them see-sawing across my chest all day
Con's -when I swap the bins from strap to strap (which isn't very often) I need to take care.
Not everyone's cup of tea this, but it works for me.

I rely on the neck strap a lot - I log basic field observations on my phone and consequently can't keep my binoculars in hand all the time. Even if I could, though, I'd want to have my binoculars attached to my neck for insurance. I once had an EOS-1DiiN come off my shoulder, not an experience I ever want to repeat. i've come to really appreciate well fitting/comfortable neck straps - the one provided with the SLC mark ii is excellent.

A no brainer, surely!? Especially when handling using such high value gear. With my Swaro 8x32, either the strap which came with it or - more often these days - a DIY bungee harness (a la Rick Young).

To strap or not to strap.

From long ago, the drill was, when you pick up your camera (if you don't put the neckstrap around your neck) at least put an arm through the strap. That way, if you drop it, it only falls the length of the strap.

I've followed the same drill with binoculars.
Yes with my 8x30,s I put my right arm through the strap but also around my neck it holds them firm against me no swinging around and easy to take from your arm to watch something obviously people will do this but it was my own Idea not from seeing others and have walked with them for miles on end over the years like that.

Thanks for the many responses everyone. I've always been inclined to use a neck strap with bins just as a safety measure even though I'm not generally walking around with them. I tend to use bins from a fixed location and so could, in fact, use them quite safely without a strap, but just in case I always put the strap around my neck. Somewhat ironically though when I used to do some photography I would routinely walk around without a strap with a camera and lens combo that would often exceed the value of even the most expensive alphas and not give it a second thought. Never did drop a camera. Maybe I've become more sensible in my old age! Ha! &#55357;&#56834;

Anyone else caught their foot on the strap when swinging legs round off a bench in a hide? Or is that just clumsy me! Clattered my binos down but fortunately no damage - always make sure the strap is not hanging down now though :)

Oh Julie, Julie..... how lucky you were!!

Always..... ALWAYS have the bin strap round your neck. Never EVER put them down for a second!!! And NEVER put them on the roof of the car while you're loading it up before driving off!!:eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back