• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How much nectar in a platform-type hummingbird feeder? (1 Viewer)

New Daddy

I have a hummingbird feeder in my backyard, which just started to attract hummingbirds after almost two week's drought.

The thing is, I have seen hummingbirds hover around the feeder but have not seen them actually feed from the feeder. So I'm wondering if ruby-throated hummingbirds' bills are long enough to drink from the feeder even if the feeder is not full. Or, do I have to top off the feeder for them to reach the nectar?

My feeder looks like this (not exactly the same model, but similar) http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEwQ8wIwBQ#

Hi New Daddy, their tongues are actually quite long and can reach to the bottom of that feeder with no problem.
Make sure you keep the nectar solution fresh. I change mine out every two days. Depending on the weather would not leave it longer than 3 in the summer. The solution will go bad and the hummers won't drink from it.

Hope this helps,

Lisa

Hi New Daddy, their tongues are actually quite long and can reach to the bottom of that feeder with no problem.
Make sure you keep the nectar solution fresh. I change mine out every two days. Depending on the weather would not leave it longer than 3 in the summer. The solution will go bad and the hummers won't drink from it.

Hope this helps,

Lisa

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back