• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

need help for the first scope... (1 Viewer)

solquest

Hello.
I'm very new to this scope world, but planning an holiday for nexr summer in Canadian parks I was thinking of bringing something for watching better the nature there -and if it can be useful also for watching the sky, even better!
I'd like something that shouldn't be big to carry (something like max 25cm), not heavy as well and with variable magnification around 15-50x -or even more.
I don't want to be obly to always use a tripod, so something I can also just handle -I know I'd need a tripod for high magnifications...
Pre owned things are completely fine as vintage ones, and I wouldn't pay more than 100 ($/€/GBP).
As said the max length when carring should be max around 25cm, but would be ok if I had to extend it when using (like old telescopes).
Had a look around but the only interesting thing I've found seems to be a Yukon 20-50x50.
Do you have any idea on what I shoould look for?
Thanks,
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

It is hard to find anything in this price range and something that might be a good enough for you. Here is something I found that has pretty good reviews. As far as the Yukon there were good reviews and very bad review. Probably sample variations. If you could try one at a store and find it ok, buy it. Sorry I am not much help. My idea would be a Nikon 50ED spotting scope. I have one and love it. A binocular might be better.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7LQ2EO?psc=1

Last edited:
Thank you.
Had a look online on that Celestron Landscout and it looks interesting. I've found out also the Celestron C70 Mini Mak that sounds good as well.
I see if I can try them both on a store.
why would you recommend a binocular? I was speaking of monocular/spotting scope only cause I thought they where more compact...am I wrong?
Which binocular would you suggest then?
Thanks again!

Hi Lisa. Welcome.
I have most of the Yukons.
The 20x-50x50 is not great. It is a folded refractor. Yukon Coatings are not so good, just basic. Also Yukons vary in quality sample to sample. However, if you could try one and it is good then buy that one, NOT an identical boxed one. Same for any optics, buy the one you test.

(The new Yukon 20-50x50 was O.K., but a used one did not focus correctly, so always test everything carefully).

I also have the Celestron C70. Fair only. But O.K. for the price. Maksutovs are not good for low magnification as they are long focus instruments.
There is an awful, Italian brand unfortunately, although probably Chinese, 65mm or 70mm Maksutov that is truly awful. Plastic.

I have a used Opticron 15x-40x 52 MM2 Mighty Midget V2 Travel Scope that was about £70. 45 deg prism. It is good, almost as new, and I can hand hold it. It is small. You would need to support it on a tree, wall, car etc. It collapses to about 20cm but I leave it extended to about 25cm.

The old Soviet/Russian 20x50 Turist I think, collapsible telescope has very good central performance, but a small field and poor edges. I have paid as little as £12 for excellent ones.
There is also a rather small black 12 to 24x?? x 40 good Russian scope. I can't remember the magnification.

Look at Nikon Aculon binoculars, maybe 8x42 or 10x42? These are probably the best value. But do you wear glasses? This may be a problem for some optics.

P.S.
The Celestron Landscout 10-30x60 seems O.K. for the price, although I have not tried one.

Last edited:
Great info, thank you.
For what I've understood, that Opticron MM2 sounds what I'm looking for then.
I'm not wearing glasses, but I'd look for higher magnification than the one of those binoculars.
Thanks again.

Oh thanks about that.
Checking on that website I've found also a Bausch & Lomb 15-45x 60 for £99 and a Luxon 50mm Spotting Scope + 25-50x Eyepiece for £35.
Is still that Opticron MM2 the best choice (if I'm right it looks to be the most compact one)?
Thanks again!

Lisa I had a B&L spotter that looked like that one a long time ago. If I remember right it was pretty decent. I don't wear glasses so can not say about ER. There is no info on that site about this B&L but some of what I read the ER might of been short. BTW Lisa you would need a tripod to get the most out of any spotter and one reason I said something about a binocular instead. An angled scope would be better for the night sky if you want it for that as well.

Last edited:
Lisa said she doesn't wear glasses. Post 5.

Wants something for £100.

The MM2 indicated maybe? sold to Lisa or someone else?

Oh no, was not me buying it.
I was still waiting to hear if one of those other two models was better...
Nevermind, I'll keep me eyes opened.
Thanks for the binoculars, but I'd look for something with an higher magnification.

I was considering buying that MM2 some time ago, but as I already had one I didn't need it.

On one of the sites I visit anything really good goes in 5 to 10 minutes. It is rare to be lucky. One rarely actually sees the gems or real bargains.

Other interesting stuff goes in hours or days.

In less popular sites useful items could last a month.

If a good condition MM2 turns up for a similar price it is a bargain if it comes from a reliable source with warranty.

I have a Kowa 502? 20x50 straight spotter that cost less than the MM 2, which I use regularly, but it magnifies less.

I have the Nikon 16x50 Aculon. You can use a tree to keep it steady. The 12x50 would be easier or 10x50,10x42 etc.

Last edited:
Oh thanks, I see.
I guess Opricron MM2 is much better than the other two on sale.
Ok, now I know that model is the one and so I'll be quick next time!
Thanks mooreorless for those binos, but I'd prefer something with ah higher magnification,

Lisa,
Make sure that optically the MM2 is good. It may also come I think with a 13x-39x eyepiece.
Mechanically it should be a good example, although cosmetics are not really important.
Also a firm with a good reputation.

What may be a problem is the time limit before your trip.

If you happen to see another scope locally, that might be an easier option.

All clear.
Well, I have three monthes, let's see what's coming out.
I have gone in the local shop, but there's nothing compact...and I'm not sure it's a popilar brand in Italy...
Thanks as usual!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back