• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can You Suggest APPS for Birding in America? (1 Viewer)

MUHerd

Hey all,

I'm new and am looking to get some apps that would help me ID the birds I am seeing, help me learn the songs of the birds in my area, and give me the information that will be most beneficial to me in learning this hobby of Birding.

There are several field guides out there and I have no idea which one is the best or would be most helpful. Some are free, but most are paid apps and go up to $20 or so for the app. I don't mind paying as long as it's something that would help me out and be a resource I would refer to often.

Any apps you can recommend for me to get would be great. What have you used that really helped you out and you like quite a bit?

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time and help.
Larry

While I usually reach for the printed Sibley guides, I find myself using iBird Ultimate most often as a guide on my devices. I also use Birdseye regularly, and keep my lists with eBird.

Dan

I have all the major North American bird ID apps on my iPhone and iPads but the only one I use on a regular basis is the Sibley. I also own the corresponding paper guides but never take them out in the field nowadays and hardly ever open them even at home but consult the iPad versions instead.

Thanks for the tips.

I went looking at the AppStore to see the apps you all are talking about. I have seen them before but didn't know all the details of them.

Both the IBird and Sibley look great. They are both $19.99. If you were going to get 1 of them, which one would you get? Or more precise, which one do you think would help someone like me, a person brand new to birding that wants to learn what birds he is seeing in the field?

Thank you again.
Larry

Thanks for the tips.

I went looking at the AppStore to see the apps you all are talking about. I have seen them before but didn't know all the details of them.

Both the IBird and Sibley look great. They are both $19.99. If you were going to get 1 of them, which one would you get? Or more precise, which one do you think would help someone like me, a person brand new to birding that wants to learn what birds he is seeing in the field?

Thank you again.
Larry

The Sibley or the National Geographic would be my recommendation, the former for its superior illustrations, the latter for its better text. I'd avoid the iBird guide which is inferior in both respects in my opinion.

Thank you fugl.

Which one has the better song section so I can start trying to learn that stuff too?

Sorry for so many questions.

Have a good weekend!
Larry

The song selections in my experience tend to be much of a muchness in the various North American apps as they all draw on the same (evidently quite limited) sources. But there are some differences and I haven't made systematic comparisons.

That said, you might also consider downloading a song-only app. One I've recently added to my iPhone is Aves Vox which averages many more songs and calls per bird than any of the field guides and there's no overlap with the latter. It's free so there's nothing to lose giving it a try.

Last edited:
I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Is the media in the Silbey Guide App drawings and illustrations or are they actual pictures?

Also I was nosing thru the stuff I could find in the APP Store that's related to birds and birding a few nights ago and I came upon an app that caught my eye. It's an app that claims to be able to ID a birds when it "hears" the song. Supposed to work just like those various apps that tell you what song is playing on the radio when you open the app up.....like SHAZAM does. This one is saying it can do it with birds. Just start the app and hold it so it can "hear" the song from the bird and it'll tell ya what bird is out there singing to you. Pretty cool if it works.

I do t know the name, I wrote it down up at my nightstand.

You ever hear of that app?

Thank you Fugl and others for the help. I won't ask any more questions.
Have a great weekend everyone!!

Larry

The Sibley app is drawings, and it is the one I use. You can always search for photos when you have internet access.

Niels

One of the features of the Sibley app that I particularly like is its ability to juxtapose two different species side by side for comparison.

One of the features of the Sibley app that I particularly like is its ability to juxtapose two different species side by side for comparison.

Yeah, that is a good feature and one not shared as far as I can tell with the National Geographic. It's particularly useful on big-screen devices like the iPads.

"Raptor ID" app by Hawkwatch International for both Android and IOS.

Comprehensive and well thought out.... a five star app for North American raptors.

Also I was nosing thru the stuff I could find in the APP Store that's related to birds and birding a few nights ago and I came upon an app that caught my eye. It's an app that claims to be able to ID a birds when it "hears" the song. Supposed to work just like those various apps that tell you what song is playing on the radio when you open the app up.....like SHAZAM does. This one is saying it can do it with birds. Just start the app and hold it so it can "hear" the song from the bird and it'll tell ya what bird is out there singing to you. Pretty cool if it works.

I do t know the name, I wrote it down up at my nightstand.

You ever hear of that app?

I think you might be thinking of Song Sleuth. I've tried it on in the field a few times and so far it's been very helpful and informative. The only ID it failed on I later found out was a frog XD so I can't blame it for not getting that one. I think the app is about $10. It has been worth it to me as it's well made/designed and works just like it advertises.

You also mentioned that you were wanting to learn bird songs. I've been using the app Larkwire daily for over a month now and it's helped tremendously. Some groups are really hard but as long as I've kept with them, I start picking it up after awhile. Really worth a try and you can try it out online for free!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back