• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Kruger part 3, ZA (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Next thread with some more South African birds:

1 + 2 are the same bird I believe; another Cape Weaver? Inside Kruger NP
3 is this Red-headed Weaver? also inside Kruger
4 was small with a dark blaze so I initially thought Duiker - but now think young Bushbuck? Just outside the fence of Letaba camp, Kruger.
5 This distant raptor was in the eastern end of Drakensberg and seen on a single day trip from Phalaborwa. I doubt there is enough for a certain id, but still want to try ...

Finally, the image I uploaded today, can I get a confirmation of female Bb Puffback: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=385144

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Weaver q2 P1020145.JPG
    Weaver q2 P1020145.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 67
  • Weaver q2a P1020146.JPG
    Weaver q2a P1020146.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Weaver q 3 P1020404.JPG
    Weaver q 3 P1020404.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 63
  • buck q P1020463.JPG
    buck q P1020463.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Raptor q Drakensberg P1020552.JPG
    Raptor q Drakensberg P1020552.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 80
Hi
4 is a young Bushbock indeed, no suborbital gland as in Duikers
5 is an Augur Buzzard with nice orange tail

Tom

Hi Niels,

1/2-Southern Masked Weaver, note the red eye.
3-Red-headed weaver indeed, and a nice picture.
4-Bushbuck yes, but why a young individual?
5-Jackal Buzzard, split from Augur for a while now

Edit: and your right with the Puffback!

Last edited:
Thank you both :t:
I don't have the book in front of me, so I will look more at the answers when I come home. For now just two comments:

The Bushbuck was really small, between 1/2 and 2/3 of the shoulder-height of the other Bushbucks I saw. It was really close to the fence that I had just walked along, so judging the size was fairly easy. That is why I am thinking younger individual (and why my initial impression had been Duiker). It coming so close right after I had walked there also indicates a more trusting behavior than usual, so another point to a young individual.

I overlooked the tail color of the raptor, thanks for putting me straight on that!

Niels

The Bushbuck was really small, between 1/2 and 2/3 of the shoulder-height of the other Bushbucks I saw. It was really close to the fence that I had just walked along, so judging the size was fairly easy.

Okay, young bushbuck it is then! Presumably a female (no horns coming through seemingly).

OK, time for a few more comments when comparing with Sinclair etc Southern Africa:

The Buzzard is shown as black in the drawings, where my impression of it in the field was a color more like an accipiter, harrier-hawk, or similar. Is this just poor info in the book or poor weather teasing me?

pics 1 and 2: the photos are much yellower than the female Southern Masked Weaver in the book, especially in the head. Is this poor images or is this some type of intermediate plumage? Given the deviation, what is the distinction from Village Weaver?

Thanks for the nice comment about the image of the red-headed weaver. It probably spent more time with the head down than up ...

And by the way, what is the tree? Is it mopani?

thanks
Niels

The Buzzard is shown as black in the drawings, where my impression of it in the field was a color more like an accipiter, harrier-hawk, or similar. Is this just poor info in the book or poor weather teasing me?

There seems to be a slight brown tinge to the plumage. Probably due to some worn, sun bleached feathers.
Compare with this one: http://www.birdsisaw.com/Photo.aspx?q=1870

pics 1 and 2: the photos are much yellower than the female Southern Masked Weaver in the book, especially in the head. Is this poor images or is this some type of intermediate plumage? Given the deviation, what is the distinction from Village Weaver??

Weavers are very variable in non-breeding plumage according to sex, age and date/season. Non-breeding male tend to be brighter than females.
Some Southern masked for comparison: http://www.warwicktarboton.co.za/birdpgs/814SMWea.html
Village weaver can be safely ruled out on bill size alone (way too small):
http://www.warwicktarboton.co.za/birdpgs/811ViWea.html

And by the way, what is the tree? Is it mopani?

Yes it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back