• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 1D Mark IV Announced (1 Viewer)

Looks interesting!

Spotted this on Rob's site...

"the EF 500mm f/4L IS will not have the benefit of cross-type operation from all 39 AF points"

Ouch.

yep canon have blown it here for us birders ,i dont see much in the camera to make it worth me getting one , my mk3 and 7d when it comes will cover most things.
Rob.

looking at the diagram on Rob G's site though 6 of the 9 focus points on the horizontal line from the centre AF point are not cross hair anyway and as most birds are tracked moving roughly on the horizontal plane is there much to gain or loose from the Mark III AF system? So I guess if the AF system is going to be no better? unless of course you use a 300 2.8 then is the remainder of the camera worth the vast price? we shall have to wait and see who jumps first -- i like this quote below -- a greater % could be 51% over 50% its a bit vague

Overall, the EOS-1D Mark IV is meant to deliver a greater percentage of properly focused or usably focused frames in a tracking sequence than the EOS-1D Mark III.

When reading dpreviews site I had read this a few times to believe my eyes,

"The EOS-1D Mark IV also delivers extreme low-light performance. Standard ISO on the EOS-1D Mark IV ranges from 100-12,800, while extended ISO ranges from a low of 50 to 102,400 – the highest ISO ever offered by a Canon SLR. This extreme low-light performance makes the EOS-1D Mark IV ideal for night shots or shooting at evening events, where the lack of light would normally make shooting impossible. "

Why does the 1D always get a lower pixel count than other top end Canons i would have expected at leat 18-20 it just dosent make sense.

Why does the 1D always get a lower pixel count than other top end Canons i would have expected at leat 18-20 it just dosent make sense.

because lots of pixels aren't the most important feature and the pros who the 1D is aimed at know this... For almost all uses 8-10MP will be fine, I've had 20"x30" prints from my 40D and they look great, even when viewed close up. Image quality is the most important thing, I'd take a decent 10mp camera over a lesser 20mp one any day of the week.

What i was meaning is the 1Ds is 24meg the 5D21meg the 7D18meg so you carnt say pros dont like more pixels as long as it isnt effected by noise issues.I agree that pixel count is not the most important thing to have.But if its good enough for the 1Ds abd 5D and you carnt say the give bad results then why not for the 1D.I wasnt saying thats what i wanted just expected a similar count thats all.

1Ds and to some extend the 5D2 are studio cameras (or macro cameras) where speed isn't important. The 1D series is an "action series" - 24mp would probably sacrifice speed for MPs, which would likely be unacceptable for a pro sports photographer, or a pro wildlife photographer.

Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back