• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snail Identification (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

Anyone able to assist with the two attached - both from Portishead, North Somerset. The first was larger than the second. The first was about 16mm wide and the secon maybe 9-10mm wide.

I had the first down as brown-lipped snail (Cepaea nemoralis) and therefore I was tempted towards white-lipped snail (Cepaea hortensis) on the second.

Any assistance gratefully received!

All the best

Attachments

• Snail 1 reduced 2.jpg
    Snail 1 reduced 2.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Snail 1 reduced 3.jpg
    Snail 1 reduced 3.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Snail 2 reduced 2.jpg
    Snail 2 reduced 2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Snail 2 reduced 3.jpg
    Snail 2 reduced 3.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Anyone able to assist with the two attached - both from Portishead, North Somerset. The first was larger than the second. The first was about 16mm wide and the secon maybe 9-10mm wide.

I had the first down as brown-lipped snail (Cepaea nemoralis) and therefore I was tempted towards white-lipped snail (Cepaea hortensis) on the second.

Any assistance gratefully received!

All the best

Well Paul, on the balance of probability you are right, but strictly single specimens need dissecting to name beyond reasonable doubt.

As Ficidula says , you need to dissect them ( and look at the 'love dart' in cross section) to be sure but I think you may be right. hortensis invariably has a more depressed apex than nemoralis and a 'squarer'' aperture.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back