• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you ever seen diurnal birds at night? (1 Viewer)

lvn600

What are your most interesting experiences of seening diurnal birds at night or nocturnal birds during the day?

lvn600 said:
What are your most interesting experiences of seening diurnal birds at night or nocturnal birds during the day?

Both European Robins and Blackbirds are commonly active around streetlights over here.

Hiya

Had to dredge my memory for this...

About 20 years ago, I saw a Heron fishing from a pier below Redcliffe Bridge in the centre of Bristol at 2 a.m. On another occasion (same place, similar time) i saw a winter roost of about 2000 Pied Wagtails on the roof of a low building by the bridge. Apart from those, I've heard Blackbirds, Robins and Sedge Warblers singing at night, and seen the occasional Tawny Owl during the day.

Interestingly, a recent edition of Nature on BBC Radio 4 looked at the Peregrines which have started nesting in Bristol. Apparently these birds are hunting at night, taking low-flying migrants attracted by the city lights.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/nature_20050516.shtml

Now that I would like to see.

Mark

In my experience if you flush Buzzard at dusk/night it looks much like Tawny or Long-eared Owl. Lapwing flying by at night is easily taken for Little or Tengmalm's Owl.

MarkA said:
Interestingly, a recent edition of Nature on BBC Radio 4 looked at the Peregrines which have started nesting in Bristol. Apparently these birds are hunting at night, taking low-flying migrants attracted by the city lights.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/nature_20050516.shtml

Now that I would like to see.

Mark

Hi Mark,

There is a guy in New York City who monitors nocturnal migrants from atop the Empire State building: http://www.birdingbob.com/schedule.htm. It sounds fascinating - the birds often fly in and then circle the building before heading off (attracted by the lights I guess). He has also reported the city Peregrines using this light source to hunt these migrant birds at night.

Luke

Around 6 or 7 years back, walking in bright full moonlight at around 9.30pm in late November - thats 4 hours after sunset, and there was a flock of rooks flying actively around the fields where I was walking. There was nothing to suggest that they had been disturbed from their roost, they appeared to be quite contented, just active in the night.

In England one often hears Canada Geese flying in the night during the summer.

More about it from Europe. Ducks and waders often feed at night. Groups which call at night include grebes, bitterns, ducks, snipes, rails, larks, warblers, robins and nightingales... In spring nights really many other birds sing long before dawn. Many birds migrate at night.

A good fall of Redwings in late October is always exciting , I hear them frequently at that part of the year and have seen them land on our playing fields in the darkness ( I carry a BIG torch when walking the dog )

Ashley

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back