• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birdsearch.org (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I just released the following website - figured it may be of interest to some folk around here!
http://birdsearch.org

Basically it's a Google Map-driven site for browsing bird observations submitted by people through the (awesome) eBird.org site. It communicates directly with their API so it's always kept up to date with the latest observation info.

The functionality includes:
  • Display recent bird sightings (1-30 days) anywhere in the world.
  • Display notable sightings (species unusual to be seen at the location/time period).
  • Display popular birding locations in a region.

Anyway, hope it comes in handy. :)

- Ben ([email protected])

P.S. the codebase is free and open source, and found on github here. So should any other developers want to improve bits of it, just send me a pull request. :)

Well, it opens as a black screen in Opera, but something more in firefox.

That is where the next level of problem pops up: I live in Dominica, a country smaller than many US counties. Dominica is a term known to the system, so I choose that. Using Dominica as search term brings back an error message saying please enter a more specific location, but it does not bring up any way to know what search locations would be acceptable to the site.

Niels

Last edited:
Hmm...! Thanks for the posts - I'll have to investigate this further. Haven't been able to reproduce it yet on Chrome, FF or IE (10) on PC, nor have I seen it on my Mac yet - but clearly there's an issue here somewhere!

> Dominica is a term known to the system, so I choose that. Using Dominica as search term brings back an error message saying please enter a more specific location, but it does not bring up any way to know what search locations would be acceptable to the site.

True. Right now it insists on a relatively small location - town or city - not a country, because it won't be able to search such a large range. One option I could do would be to target the *center* of the country and search there. This may make sense for smaller countries, but perhaps not larger ones...

I'll have to give it some more thought. Thanks, guys!

- Ben

Works fine for me, happy it even came up with my favourite birding location from where I am based, this is pretty impressive and could prove very useful to me. I will add it to my site within the next few days just so I can bookmark it forever.

Just tried to do a search on Minsmere RSPB reserve and although I selected the drop-down title - Minsmere RSPB reserve, Sheepwash Lane, Saxmundham, United Kingdom - it still kept asking me to select a location from the auto-selection list!!

Ooh thanks for letting me know, Mal! Fixed now. Slowly weeding those bugs out. :)

Unfortunately there are no results for that location for the default "last 7 days" search, but if you increase it to 30 days (under "more search options" in the sidebar), some results are returned.

- Ben

Now works also in Opera. I would still like to be able to do my entire island in one go, there are not very many observations per year uploaded to Ebird, so display would not be a big deal.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back