• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me ID this mystery night bird? (1 Viewer)

raterus

Hi folks, I'm hoping someone can help me id this bird I'm hearing after the sun goes down. I also hear it in the morning before the sun rises. I finally made a recording (It's pretty faint, but it's there), so I'm hoping someone can help me ID. Whatever they are, they are very LOUD!

Thanks!
Michael

Attachments

• bird2.wav
    859.4 KB · Views: 83
Good to know, thanks! Now how do I get the thing to hush! :)

Consider yourself lucky to be hearing one. This is a species that has suffered a dramatic population decline in recent years, and its distinctive song is much less frequently heard than it used to be. Also quite beneficial to humans, since they consume vast quantities of insects. In the meantime, earplugs should solve your problem if the bird tarries long. I find the silicone putty type work well.

Best,
Jim

I would be glad to have it near my house singing! Enjoy it... even though you may find it annoying.

Normally I would agree with this sentiment. However, the migrant that stopped near my house, and I mean *near*, kept waking me up the one night it was around. Closed windows don't attenuate a nightjar's calls when the bird is less than 50 feet from your ears. |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back